Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X Computer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given that, I see one of two things happening:
  1. They fork the codebase. For all cars with Tegra 2/3 processors, they get a legacy experience. For new cars, they get a modern slick one.
  2. They offer paid upgrades during your next service trip. Priced fairly reasonably.

I think which way they go largely depends on how feasible it is to upgrade.

Musk has said publicly that it is easy to replace the onboard computer. As @SeminoleFSU points out however, whether or not they would choose to do this (instead of encouraging you to buy the newest and shiniest new Tesla) isn’t so clear cut.

Tesla could upgrade customer computers to meet self-driving requirements

The touch screen is not controlled by the self driving computer, it is part of the media control unit. We know it can be replaced when people’s touch screen break, cost thousands and i am unsure if they will let you swap to a newer one or only replace with the same slow one. Reasonable cost? Not counting on it even if they let you replace it.

The console processor should be fast enough to handle the console apps and user interface smoothly.

Any issues with performance are more likely due to software issues or not taking advantage of the network connection (3G, LTE, WiFi).

Other than drawing the Google maps on the console, the rest of the applications shouldn't be anywhere close to using the full power of the console processor, unless the software is doing more work than it should (which is very possible).

I believe AP1 had software also running on the console processor (since the dedicated AP processor was added for AP2.x). It's also possible that AP2 may still be running some of that software on the console - not yet moved over to the AP processor. And because Tesla is running all AP cars in "shadow mode", it's possible that the console processor is doing more work behind the scenes, even when AP isn't engaged.

However, that doesn't fully explain why the UI feels so slow - when the car is parked and not moving. If the software was designed properly, it should be able to interact faster to user inputs...

The console processor should be fast enough to handle the console apps and user interface smoothly.

Any issues with performance are more likely due to software issues or not taking advantage of the network connection (3G, LTE, WiFi).

Other than drawing the Google maps on the console, the rest of the applications shouldn't be anywhere close to using the full power of the console processor, unless the software is doing more work than it should (which is very possible).

I believe AP1 had software also running on the console processor (since the dedicated AP processor was added for AP2.x). It's also possible that AP2 may still be running some of that software on the console - not yet moved over to the AP processor. And because Tesla is running all AP cars in "shadow mode", it's possible that the console processor is doing more work behind the scenes, even when AP isn't engaged.

However, that doesn't fully explain why the UI feels so slow - when the car is parked and not moving. If the software was designed properly, it should be able to interact faster to user inputs...
I would agree with this. Reading @verygreen's posts in the past about how messy the code base is really lifts the veil that there's a lot of room for improvement in the software. Throwing hardware at bad code can work but Tesla could do a lot to make the MS/MX UI experience more responsive and stable with the current hardware. Things like Spotify server running on all cars (including the USA, etc) where it isn't used is a good example of why it can sometimes run like crap

I believe AP1 had software also running on the console processor.

I may be remembering wrong but I'm pretty sure I rebooted the console while on autopilot with my AP1 car. AP kept working fine. I'll try to check that out today when I take a little trip. In other words, not sure exactly what would be running on the console that has anything to do with autopilot. Maybe something having to do with Shadow mode?

• Disagree
Reactions: Detay
I may be remembering wrong but I'm pretty sure I rebooted the console while on autopilot with my AP1 car. AP kept working fine. I'll try to check that out today when I take a little trip. In other words, not sure exactly what would be running on the console that has anything to do with autopilot. Maybe something having to do with Shadow mode?

I presume the "disagree" was because you thought it wouldn't work - it does. Was on AP (1) yesterday and rebooted the main screen: AP worked flawlessly throughout the boot and for some time thereafter. Conclusion - doubt any AP functionality is on the main console. This morning upgraded to 2018.12 but I'm thinking the result would be the same.

Thanks, though, for reminding me about this!

Just an update to my original thread. I picked up my model x about a month ago. Said in production most of the first week of March, but I think that is not truly reflective of when the cars are actually built. Got delivery around March 21st. I have the old MCU. Car is great otherwise. Loving it for the past month.