TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model S/X deliveries with Intel-based MCU

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by andrewket, Mar 13, 2018.

1. andrewket

andrewket Well-Known Member

I’m hearing reports that Tesla has delivered Model S and X with Intel-based MCUs, the same chipset being used in the 3. The screen footprint remains the same.

I’ll edit this post if I hear of any other updates.

A

• Informative x 9
    • Helpful x 2
  2. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Active Member

If it brings the improved performance of the 3's MCU, I might need to schedule an upgrade...

3. andrewket

andrewket Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly. It’s unclear if it’s just the MCU or if the harness and modules changed too.

4. GatorGuy

GatorGuy Member

Any easy way to check this?

5. SummitX

SummitX Member

I had a brand new loaner Model S 100D yesterday, and I immediately noticed the MCU was quicker than in my Model X built in November 2017. I noticed the difference so much, I thought of making a post here yesterday.

This was my first time in a Model S, so I don't know if this is a normal difference between the S and X, but there was no screen lag at all on the new S.

• Informative x 9
    • Like x 2
  6. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2019.8.5

Did the loaner have lighted vanity mirrors as well?

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  7. Joshker

Joshker Member

My S will be delivered next week, just finished production yesterday! The biggest thing that bothered me about choosing the S was the difference in speed between the Model 3 and and S/X MCU. Even if the speed isn't there yet, the fact it would have the latest hardware would make me beyond ecstatic! Who else is reporting these findings?

8. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Well-Known Member

My Model S MCU is plenty fast for everything I do, but I don't have Autopilot and maybe the display requirement of that technology is breaking the back of the older Tegra 3. My speedo is the 2013 speedo, not the "retina" resolution speedo they use today. That's a lot more pixels that need to get pushed, I suppose.

I don't think this is a worthwhile upgrade for most of us, but for new customers it's a welcome improvement.

9. C_Beau

C_Beau Member

I just took delivery of my 2018 MS 75D which completed production on 2/21/18. I have the new lighted vanity mirrors. I certainly haven't noticed any lag in my 17" screen. If there's a simple way to check the MCU in software settings, I'm happy to investigate. Not sure I'm committed enough to start disassembling trim pieces, though! ;)

• Helpful x 2
    • Like x 2
  10. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

Switch your map between satellite and normal mode, or toggle traffic on and off. Pinch to zoom a bit. That should make it really obvious. The 3 is nearly instantaneously and 60fps smooth in all of those situations, while the S/X is more like 15-20fps.

• Helpful x 2
  11. Krash

Krash Data Technician

#11 Krash, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    Try this SunSpider 0.9.1 JavaScript Benchmark (webkit.org/perf/sunspider-0.9.1/sunspider-0.9.1/driver.html)
    You might have to run it twice.
    Lower scores are better.
    The author here got 3000 or so on the old MCU in 2014. But I get 4500 (or 5000 while also streaming audio).

If the above doesn't load, see if www.speed-battle.com/speedtest_e.php will load in your car browser window.

On a midrange workstation I get this from Chrome on my first try...

upload_2018-3-13_11-17-31.png

and this from Edge from my workstation on my first try...

upload_2018-3-13_11-22-17.png

here is what I got on my old MCU today...

upload_2018-3-13_16-32-21.png

• Helpful x 4
    • Informative x 1
  12. SummitX

SummitX Member

Yes. Brand new, 6 miles.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  13. viper2ko

viper2ko Member

I haven't heard anything about this. But man if true I missed it by 4 months.

• Love x 1
  14. viper2ko

viper2ko Member

Is this even possible?

15. Derek Kessler

Can't say for sure, but I can't see how it wouldn't be. It's a modular component (the whole MCU computer) that presumably uses the same display, I/O, and power connectors as the old Tegra unit.

• Helpful x 3
  16. number12

number12 Supporting Member

A retrofittable Tesla? El oh el

Jk.. hope that’s true.

17. Derek Kessler

I know that some owners have had dash display upgrades, installed newer seat designs, etc.

• Like x 2
  18. verygreen

verygreen Curious member

if you want to check if you have a new mcu or not, one good idea is to look at the software version and publish what you see. I imagine intel-based builds would differ from non-Intel, so if it's a 18.6.1 with a different hash, or 18.10 with a different hash... you will know.

This is about the least intrusive method I imagine.

ap2.0+ MCUs are not retrofittable into AP1 and non-AP cars for example, so physical dimensions are not everything here.

• Informative x 5
    • Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  19. DÆrik

DÆrik Member

Do you have the VIN of this car?

Thanks Erik

20. C_Beau

C_Beau Member