Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X deliveries with Intel-based MCU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like the old MCU. I have a Model S 100D on order VIN: 2475XX. Had the OA check - also old MCU. Seems that there are different production batches going to different regions with varying MCU updates, regardless of VIN and Feb/Mar date of production. I haven't yet taken delivery ... Still weighing my options.

What are your options? Do they accept you forwarding your deposit towards a new order?

Seems like the old MCU. I have a Model S 100D on order VIN: 2475XX. Had the OA check - also old MCU. Seems that there are different production batches going to different regions with varying MCU updates, regardless of VIN and Feb/Mar date of production. I haven't yet taken delivery ... Still weighing my options.

I suppose this is why my delivery of Wednesday, car arriving tomorrow, isn't canceled due to the blank screen issue being discussed. I am a Model S 75D 2473XX. Should I bother even asking my DS. All I know is there are power mirrors and enhanced interior lighting, no mention of vanity though. Thankfully, I decided in the end to lease until the car can be fully self driving and legal at that. My production was some time after the fifth, but ended the 12th supposedly, but it is getting to the NY area rather quickly. I figured it would take two weeks, and not just one, but I live five miles from the city, which may get more deliveries than rural areas.

AP1 is a hardware dead end (despite the good intentions of keeping an EyeQ as part of HW2.0) and now Tegra is a dead end.
Agreed on AP1 being a dead end, but the "good intentions" part need to be qualified, good for Tesla and their customers, not so much for Mobile Eye as they would get designed out soon after the AP2 neural nets learned all there is to learn from MobileEye (see post #918 for more details).

Hope MCU2-Intel does not use too much battery, otherwise folks will complain and want to replace it back with MCU1-Tegra.
Definitely a possibility, but probably won't matter much for active drive time. The question would be what is the standby power (when car is off but able to respond to the cell phone app) of the Intel solution and whether Tesla implemented it yet. Typical Tesla tradition would be to release it first, then send the update over OTA. Without a standby mode, we may be looking at somewhat increased "vampire drain" but it mostly matters to people who park the car without charging for few days at a time, so I could see Tesla deciding to release without proper standby mode (hopefully they did some analysis and design on it though to make sure all the necessary hardware is there - standby has some hardware considerations such as ability to control voltage rails, etc).

That said, I would be more worried about responsiveness of the instrument cluster. The main screen has been getting slower in general since the get-go (some ups and downs through history, but general trend down), but that didn't affect the instrument cluster as it was a separate piece of hardware. Now with it all-in-one, when the large display gets hick-ups, does that mean my speedometer too? Having the speedo freeze for 2s could mean you accelerated to 75mph instead of 35mph you meant to from the red light - hopefully no cop with laser waiting down the road to hand you the bill. ;)

Well - not yet certain. I believe I could forfeit the $2,500 deposit and make a new order. They may be able to roll the deposit into a new order. However, to make things more complicated, Ontario, Canada has a EV rebate of 14K for orders placed before March 9th (which my current order has). A new order would loose out on this rebate in its entirety. This means the new screen could potentially cost me $16,500 CDN. LOL... Alternatively, I could cancel outright and forfeit the $2,500. To be fair though, the Tesla OA and DA are working on looking at options for me and they have been great to deal with. While I think the roll out of this major upgrade could have been done better, my experience with customer service has been excellent. On the plus side, my vanity mirrors are the lit ones - but, then again I already knew I looked good.... ha!

Where is the software version on the iPhone app???
My app. is at 3.3.2 and I do not see it on any of the screens.

Thank You
Bottom of the main screen.
D3FCC6E9-7D09-4867-AD71-3A98E25BA1D1.jpeg

Do you think it matters that I took on a preproduction inventory model though? I also took off the EAP, which I am not sure I made the right decision on, but I can add that.

Not sure I can help you there but I would assume that if they came off the assembly line at the same time they would likely have the same MCU. Could be wrong though. Good luck!

So if I just got a new Tesla X (without AP) on Wednesday March 14, 2018 that sat in a rail yard for a week, and my phone app says - Version: 2018.4.7, does that mean that I definitely have the old MCU? Or was the version just not updated because there's no AP?

Agreed on AP1 being a dead end, but the "good intentions" part need to be qualified, good for Tesla and their customers, not so much for Mobile Eye as they would get designed out soon after the AP2 neural nets learned all there is to learn from MobileEye (see post #918 for more details).

Yeah, I meant Tesla likely had the intention of building along side and on top of the EyeQ3 on the DrvePX2, which would’ve given HW2 immediate parity. This would’ve been good for both HW1 and HW2 customers, but I can’t speak to your comments on AI IP.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark