Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X deliveries with Intel-based MCU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just because everyone here have been complaining about how bad the old MCU is and my own experience is limited I spent some time with one today since I was going in to the store to sort some things out for my trade in.

My come away is that at least with the 2018.10.4 it is really good. Sure it is not instantaneous whenever you zoom the navigation or such but darn quick anyway. I won’t be dissatisfied with that infotainment system in my car at all.

Should probably used the screen before ordering though since it would have been normal :p.

Reactions: AustinP
How did you manage that? I have been trying to do the same, but with no luck.

I said "I heard about the MCU change. Can we talk about what my options are?" and the first thing my OA said was, "You can transfer your deposit to a new custom order if you want." He said something about having to "submit the case to transfer," so I assume he had to go up the chain a little bit.

It was that easy. I sent him a link to my new saved design on Friday night, he placed the order Saturday morning, and this morning I got the email that my order was complete and the deposit was shown as paid.

I said "I heard about the MCU change. Can we talk about what my options are?" and the first thing my OA said was, "You can transfer your deposit to a new custom order if you want." He said something about having to "submit the case to transfer," so I assume he had to go up the chain a little bit.

It was that easy. I sent him a link to my new saved design on Friday night, he placed the order Saturday morning, and this morning I got the email that my order was complete and the deposit was shown as paid.

Good news. But on an unrelated note, your avatar image is freaking me out a little bit... :eek:

I am interested to know as well. I know some people mentioned it's sharp and retina-like. However, I don't know if that's a definite observation or they just "feel" it that way.

The original S/X panel is a 17" 1920x1200 - those 16:10 panels are very hard to come by, so Tesla probably has them custom-made instead of being some commodity panel from a panel maker.

If it's a "Retina" display then by Apple's definition (2x) that would be 3840x2400 (that's higher than 4K due to the 16:10 aspect ratio).That seems excessive for an in-car display.

If it does have a higher resolution, my bet's on it being 1.33x or 1.5x (2560x1600 or 2880x1800) - though those pixel-dimensions are atypical.

I've updated the "Do I have the Intel MCU?" page to include information on screen resolution - can someone with the old and new MCUs take a photo and let me know what it says?

https://jsfiddle.net/qja8wjxc/30/show

Reactions: MP3Mike
The reason for asking is that my sales rep mentioned today that the car on route to me might come with a new display but he did not know it came with MCU2... What are the chances they have changed the screens but not the MCU? BTW my car is produced in January.

Last edited:
So I pick up my Model S tomorrow and I was told they think it is the new MCU but would need to ask California. But, if is the new one, wouldn't they have canceled delivery or needed to fix it. They should have known and I am on the East Coast right by NYC and haven't heard of East Coast new MCU, have any of you? Wish there was a way to confirm before pick up, just because it's driving me nuts.

The original S/X panel is a 17" 1920x1200 - those 16:10 panels are very hard to come by, so Tesla probably has them custom-made instead of being some commodity panel from a panel maker.

If it's a "Retina" display then by Apple's definition (2x) that would be 3840x2400 (that's higher than 4K due to the 16:10 aspect ratio).That seems excessive for an in-car display.

If it does have a higher resolution, my bet's on it being 1.33x or 1.5x (2560x1600 or 2880x1800) - though those pixel-dimensions are atypical.

I've updated the "Do I have the Intel MCU?" page to include information on screen resolution - can someone with the old and new MCUs take a photo and let me know what it says?

https://jsfiddle.net/qja8wjxc/30/show
Not the best quality, but you get the picture.
IMG_20180319_174837.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: DaiPlusPlus
It is slow, but is not busted by any means. It is still one of the best screens out there, the only exception being the Tesla new MCU.

I do hope that someday they would offer a MCU1.5 upgrade with a new computable daughter board with faster CPU and memory.
That’s how I feel too. Yeah it’s slow ish but it still gets the job done and I like it better than any other car infotainment setup I’ve used to date. Wouldn’t mind an upgrade but for now I’m not up in arms until I concretely see examples of MCU1 being left behind.