Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X deliveries with Intel-based MCU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a brand new loaner Model S 100D yesterday, and I immediately noticed the MCU was quicker than in my Model X built in November 2017. I noticed the difference so much, I thought of making a post here yesterday.

This was my first time in a Model S, so I don't know if this is a normal difference between the S and X, but there was no screen lag at all on the new S.

I had a brand new loaner Model S 100D yesterday, and I immediately noticed the MCU was quicker than in my Model X built in November 2017. I noticed the difference so much, I thought of making a post here yesterday.

This was my first time in a Model S, so I don't know if this is a normal difference between the S and X, but there was no screen lag at all on the new S.
Did the loaner have lighted vanity mirrors as well?

• Funny
Reactions: IdaX and zmarty
My S will be delivered next week, just finished production yesterday! The biggest thing that bothered me about choosing the S was the difference in speed between the Model 3 and and S/X MCU. Even if the speed isn't there yet, the fact it would have the latest hardware would make me beyond ecstatic! Who else is reporting these findings?

If it brings the improved performance of the 3's MCU, I might need to schedule an upgrade...
My Model S MCU is plenty fast for everything I do, but I don't have Autopilot and maybe the display requirement of that technology is breaking the back of the older Tegra 3. My speedo is the 2013 speedo, not the "retina" resolution speedo they use today. That's a lot more pixels that need to get pushed, I suppose.

I don't think this is a worthwhile upgrade for most of us, but for new customers it's a welcome improvement.

I just took delivery of my 2018 MS 75D which completed production on 2/21/18. I have the new lighted vanity mirrors. I certainly haven't noticed any lag in my 17" screen. If there's a simple way to check the MCU in software settings, I'm happy to investigate. Not sure I'm committed enough to start disassembling trim pieces, though! ;)

Switch your map between satellite and normal mode, or toggle traffic on and off. Pinch to zoom a bit. That should make it really obvious. The 3 is nearly instantaneously and 60fps smooth in all of those situations, while the S/X is more like 15-20fps.

• Helpful
Reactions: davidc18 and Rouget
I just took delivery of my 2018 MS 75D which completed production on 2/21/18. I have the new lighted vanity mirrors. I certainly haven't noticed any lag in my 17" screen. If there's a simple way to check the MCU in software settings, I'm happy to investigate... ;)

Try this SunSpider 0.9.1 JavaScript Benchmark (webkit.org/perf/sunspider-0.9.1/sunspider-0.9.1/driver.html)
You might have to run it twice.
Lower scores are better.
The author here got 3000 or so on the old MCU in 2014. But I get 4500 (or 5000 while also streaming audio).

If the above doesn't load, see if www.speed-battle.com/speedtest_e.php will load in your car browser window.

On a midrange workstation I get this from Chrome on my first try...

upload_2018-3-13_11-17-31.png

and this from Edge from my workstation on my first try...

upload_2018-3-13_11-22-17.png

here is what I got on my old MCU today...

upload_2018-3-13_16-32-21.png

Last edited:
if you want to check if you have a new mcu or not, one good idea is to look at the software version and publish what you see. I imagine intel-based builds would differ from non-Intel, so if it's a 18.6.1 with a different hash, or 18.10 with a different hash... you will know.

This is about the least intrusive method I imagine.

It's a modular component (the whole MCU computer) that presumably uses the same display, I/O, and power connectors as the old Tegra unit.

ap2.0+ MCUs are not retrofittable into AP1 and non-AP cars for example, so physical dimensions are not everything here.

if you want to check if you have a new mcu or not, one good idea is to look at the software version and publish what you see. I imagine intel-based builds would differ from non-Intel, so if it's a 18.6.1 with a different hash, or 18.10 with a different hash... you will know.

This is about the least intrusive method I imagine.

Tesla app reporting 2018.6.1 641efac. Will confirm the car shows the same hash next time I'm in it.