Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X missing Model 3/Y 3D aerial display view

tbleakne

Feb 14, 2013
Claremont, CA
I Drive a 2018 100D MS with HW3 upgrade and FSD. Until recently I believed that Model S/X Displays the GPS map same as model 3/Y, but a rep at my Tesla Sevice Center confirmed to me that this is not true for the following case:

When the GPS map on S/X is set to compass mode, with the top of the display oriented in the direction the car is pointing, and a route has been programmed, the map rotates as a 2D map as the car turns. If satellite view is also selected, you see all the physical features, but the map is still 2D.

However when a M3/MY is in this display mode, it displays an aerial 3D view, looking down in the direction of travel. If the car comes to a stop, at an intersection for example, then the display zooms in. I have only seen videos of this behavior so I can’t test details. I don’t believe it requires FSD to be enabled.

It looks like a very nice effect that I wish I had. I hope Tesla adds this display feature soon to the MS/X to keep it on par with the M3/MY.

tbleakne

Feb 14, 2013
Claremont, CA
Yes, the small GPS display behind the steering wheel has been 3D seemingly forever, including on my first MS, a 2013.
Once when I was driving up a ridge and approached the top, it showed sky beyond the ridge line.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC