Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X missing Model 3/Y 3D aerial display view

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I Drive a 2018 100D MS with HW3 upgrade and FSD. Until recently I believed that Model S/X Displays the GPS map same as model 3/Y, but a rep at my Tesla Sevice Center confirmed to me that this is not true for the following case:

When the GPS map on S/X is set to compass mode, with the top of the display oriented in the direction the car is pointing, and a route has been programmed, the map rotates as a 2D map as the car turns. If satellite view is also selected, you see all the physical features, but the map is still 2D.

However when a M3/MY is in this display mode, it displays an aerial 3D view, looking down in the direction of travel. If the car comes to a stop, at an intersection for example, then the display zooms in. I have only seen videos of this behavior so I can’t test details. I don’t believe it requires FSD to be enabled.

It looks like a very nice effect that I wish I had. I hope Tesla adds this display feature soon to the MS/X to keep it on par with the M3/MY.