TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S/X Owners Have Priority Model 3 Orders Over Non-Owners

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by eclipsis, Mar 15, 2016.

1. eclipsis

eclipsis Member

From the invite: "As a current owner who has supported Tesla and our mission, your reservation will take priority and be placed ahead of non-owners."

jcxYoiB.png

• Like x 1
  2. Bimbels

Bimbels GoldMember

As an owner, I am happy. I can see how non owners would be bummed though.

Tesla has always valued their "early adopters" - I wasn't expecting this but I am grateful.

3. vinnie97

vinnie97 Member

2019 it is then for a real EV, if I live that long.

4. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Not happy about this.

5. neptune2000

I live in LA and got the invite to the random draw. Did any owner receive an invite regardless of location?

6. techmaven

techmaven Active Member

Don't worry, you can still buy your Model S within the next two weeks. :)

As for Model S/X owners in Canada, there aren't that many anyways - maybe just over 3,000. Not all of them will buy a 3.

7. Bimbels

Bimbels GoldMember

yes - we are on the east coast - and people in Switzerland have gotten it as well (according to FB)

8. omgwtfbyobbq

omgwtfbyobbq Member

I'm on the fence. I can see why Tesla would do that for owners, but if Tesla's EV tax credit expires, there may be quite a few people who can't get the full (or any) tax credit.

9. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Technically, yes, I could order and buy one. But it'd take my life savings, and I need that for you know, life.

Then there's the modifications to the house I'd need to do before getting an EV.

10. neptune2000

That is fair. Glad everyone will get the opportunity, though for me The Hawthorne Tesla Design Studio is just 5 miles and 19 minutes away, while the guy from Switzerland, if chosen, will have a slightly more expensive trip :)

11. techmaven

techmaven Active Member

Phase out information available at:

Federal Tax Credits for All-Electric and Plug-in Hybrid Vehicles

phaseoutdiagramPlugin.gif

First, it is highly unlikely that Tesla sells 200,000 EVs in the U.S by the end of 2017 or Q1 2018. Then, they can likely only build 100,000 Model 3's in the first year or so, and therefore I doubt phase out begins before mid 2018 or later in 2018. And even then, there's a 2nd quarter of the full credit before phase out occurs. Finally, Nissan and GM will likely hit these numbers before Tesla and they might push for legislative changes since the current setup punishes the pioneers and rewards the laggards.

12. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

The tax credit is a bit of a crapshoot anyway.

200,000 domestic units sold is the threshold, after which the credit drops to half and then eventually phases out completely.

So with that said, there are multiple scenarios, which range from no tax credit being available at all, to the other extreme which I'll define as all M3 produced in 2018 will qualify.

One thing's for sure - the fully-optioned, existing owner-purchased units for which reservations were secured on 3/31 will stand the best chance of receiving the full federal tax credit.

I imagine that people will view that tax credit as an incentive to (more) fully option their new chariots. Ordinarily, it would be hard to get all that excited about $7,500, but as a percentage of $35,000, it does become significant.

This is one of the few, okay, the only time I would view living in the San Joaquin Valley as a positive, as their total incentive package is $13,000. Even with an expected average out the door cost of $50,000, due in part to CA sales tax and ridiculously high registration fees, $37,000 is pretty darned appealing as a net number.

Imagine the impact when these hit the CPO/private used market. As the infrastructure develops (new construction, yadda), Elon will have truly given a lot of people a best chance to, in part, save them from themselves. Or at least from quite so much dependence upon fossil fuels during their daily commute.

13. rnelsonee

rnelsonee Member

Yeah, I figure mid-2018 is possible but not too likely for the start of the phaseout. The problem is do we really expect deliveries to start in 2017? Let's say deliveries slip by just 6 months (reasonable) and start mid 2018. By then the phaseout could start, and the first 6 months has deliveries go to all employees, existing owners, and people who ordered every option. Then another 3-6 months for people who bought fairly high spec (AWD, autopilot, leather/sunroof type sutff) cars. It could be mid-2019 before the first 'average' Model 3 comes off the line.

I'm not going to worry about it too much, but $7500 (or $3750) is a decent chunk of change!

My 'best case' (for Tesla, worst case for us), based on estimates of US sales to date, and then a steady growth of S and X sales from here on out.

245FlEK.png

14. Sp4rky

Sp4rky Member

As an aspiring Tesla Model 3 owner, I feel fine with prioritization for current Tesla owners. Three reasons:
    1.) Without them, there would be no Model 3. So thanks!
    2.) I find it highly doubtful that every Tesla owner will be purchasing a Model 3 (let alone multiple). Sure, there will be some, but we are still talking cars starting at $35k.
    3.) They will still probably ship the cars out by order of options, then region. So, I would imagine a current Tesla owner in Canada wouldn't probably get preference over a reservation in the US for the same high-end Model 3 that's within close reach of the factory.

Just my two cents.

• Like x 2
  15. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

I wonder how late an owner can put in a reservation and still get priority? An owner putting in a reservation 6 months from now will still get priority over non-owners who wait in line to reserve on 3/31?

16. raysspl

raysspl Member

As a non-owner but future Tesla owner, I'm not bummed out 1 bit. I'm equally glad to see the excitement from those who want to be part of the Model 3 ownership experience.

It'll be everyone else's turn soon, anyways. Tesla will meet all the demand this time around much better than they did with previous cars.

• Helpful x 1
  17. StapleGun

StapleGun Member

As a non-owner I want to know if I wait in line on the 31st, will an existing owner who orders online immediately after the event get priority over me (assuming the same location and options).

18. CTShore

CTShore Member

And now we know when orders will start being accepted: 10 a.m. PST on the 31st.

19. RAW84

RAW84 Member

I'm fairly certain that answer is "Yes".

My question would be how long this priority period would last. One day? One Week? One Month? Surely it wouldn't be perpetual. If they gave a specific time, it could also help drive sales (meaning if existing owners knew they'd get to jump the line if they ordered by Apr. 15, it may nudge those who are on the fence.) The more reservations placed, the better Tesla looks to the market.

20. physicsfita

physicsfita Member

+1

The tax credit is a major factor in whether I can afford the car. I've arranged my work schedule so I can make the drive to Cleveland. If I'm going to have to go to the back of the bus no matter what I do, I'd like to know so I can save some gas and put my work schedule back to normal.