Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X Owners Have Priority Model 3 Orders Over Non-Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not an owner of S/X and I think it's a good decision. Employee first, S/X owners second, everyone else third. Without their employees, there wouldn't be S/X; without S/X owners, there wouldn't be the 3. Giving the first two groups priority is a way to acknowledge their contribution to the 3.

Reactions: Beaker and bredi
Lmao....

This is a luxury item. Not an essential item. You aren't ENTITLED to get one. Tesla doesn't HAVE TO make a vehicle at a price point low enough for you to enjoy.

And I am a millennial. Now I see why people complain about the entitlement attitude today. This is crazy. People crying about not being first in line for a tesla!!!! smh

As a non-owner I want to know if I wait in line on the 31st, will an existing owner who orders online immediately after the event get priority over me (assuming the same location and options).

As someone who waited over 2 years for a SigX who got mine (Sig #1096, VIN#0444) before some people who reserved as much as 3 or 4 years ago, I can say that I cannot fathom Tesla's queuing system. Truly a mystery wrapped in an aluminum enigma. So I wouldn't lose sleep over it either way. If you are in line on the 31st you will be among the earliest either way.

Edit: And believe me it will be an amazing vehicle no matter how long the wait!

My first post here, been reading for the last 3 weeks. My first EV, an X90D, confirmed 2 days ago and I received this email today. I will be overseas for the event, so I really appreciate the new found loyalty to owners. I plan to reserve an M3 for my wife online ASAP and watch the live stream if able to. After test driving an S90D 3 weeks ago and then an X last Saturday, it would be hard to buy an ICE again. These things are truly amazing machines.

Reactions: MrBoylan
First post, looking forward to reserving a Model 3. Gotta say, this strategy makes perfect sense from a business perspective. When you have the media following and buzz that Tesla does, you need your product launches to go as smoothly as possible. A brand new vehicle on a brand new production line is bound to have some growing pains and production issues - putting those early cars into the hands of brand loyalists and people already familiar with the company's products (a sympathetic audience if you will) goes a long way toward controlling the spin on those first-run issues.

As a non-owner I want to know if I wait in line on the 31st, will an existing owner who orders online immediately after the event get priority over me (assuming the same location and options).

Given the wording of the invite, I believe ANY order from existing owners, for quite some time not just "unveil" day, will have priority from ANY order from non-owners. Now, as someone else pointed out, the "owner orders" will likely be a fraction of the "non-owner orders".

Given the wording of the invite, I believe ANY order from existing owners, for quite some time not just "unveil" day, will have priority from ANY order from non-owners. Now, as someone else pointed out, the "owner orders" will likely be a fraction of the "non-owner orders".

Still many questions though. Will only the owners who get the "highly optioned" cars get priority - or will non owners with more options go ahead of them? I expect non owners would...and based on how the X waiting list has been handled, it sounds like no matter where you fall in the line, patience will be key.

This makes me extremely sad. I have been waiting to buy a Tesla since 2006, when they announced the roadmap. Now I have to wait even longer because I couldn't afford a Roadster/Model S/X?

I couldn't have said it better myself. I understand why Tesla would do this (a thank-you to early adopters, plus any bugs that need shaking out on the earliest cars will go to people that will likely be more understanding of them), but I am sad and disappointed. This is supposed to be the car for those of us who can't afford an S/X/Roadster. It also puts the full tax credit in jeopardy for us.

I'm happy for existing owners -- I'm sure I'd be thrilled if I were on the other side of this -- and I'm not mad at existing owners or Tesla. I just wish there was another way to thank the S/X/R owners without bumping us further back in the Model 3 line.

Still many questions though. Will only the owners who get the "highly optioned" cars get priority - or will non owners with more options go ahead of them? I expect non owners would...and based on how the X waiting list has been handled, it sounds like no matter where you fall in the line, patience will be key.

I would assume that "owner priority" would not be to the detriment of Tesla's other manufacturing priorities and efficiencies. For example, I wouldn't assume they're going to crank out a $35k base car for an existing owner in Sheboygan before a fully optioned car for a non-owner in Fremont. But in like-for-like scenarios, existing owners' cars will be built first.

I couldn't have said it better myself. I understand why Tesla would do this (a thank-you to early adopters, plus any bugs that need shaking out on the earliest cars will go to people that will likely be more understanding of them), but I am sad and disappointed. This is supposed to be the car for those of us who can't afford an S/X/Roadster. It also puts the full tax credit in jeopardy for us.

I'm happy for existing owners -- I'm sure I'd be thrilled if I were on the other side of this -- and I'm not mad at existing owners or Tesla. I just wish there was another way to thank the S/X/R owners without bumping us further back in the Model 3 line.

You've summed up my thoughts completely. I'm not mad that existing owners get the first shot, just worried that this will push me back beyond the tax credit deadline (at least the first 50% cutoff). I'm hoping for some extra details as time goes on so I have a better idea of how long I'll be waiting. Regardless, I'll still be there on the 31st because that's how i will be able to get the car the earliest given the current constraints.

You've summed up my thoughts completely. I'm not mad that existing owners get the first shot, just worried that this will push me back beyond the tax credit deadline (at least the first 50% cutoff). I'm hoping for some extra details as time goes on so I have a better idea of how long I'll be waiting. Regardless, I'll still be there on the 31st because that's how i will be able to get the car the earliest given the current constraints.
that would mean the difference between me maxing out my M3 and not maxing it. $7500 is a big chunk of change on a $35k-65k car

I'm fine with it as a non-owner.

I'm sad personally though because my current lease expires June 2018, so this likely greatly increases my chances of not having the car arrive in time. I was planning on trying at least a higher battery AWD option to up the priority as much as possible.

I guess at this point I can just hope that production ramps and ramps quickly.

Generally ordering of the reservation queue determines when you get to finalize. At that point delivery of the car depends on what you order. That's how they've done it in the past (except signatures, who didn't have a choice of what they were ordering). On that basis I would expect a non-owner ordering a highly specced car would get it before an owner ordering a base model.

So an owner can wait many months to make a reservation right before production starts and be placed ahead of new customers who place their reservation at the store before the reveal. HMM, that does not sound so honorable to me.

Well, this makes my worries about the potential of getting the tax credit easy. I will now assume I won't get one and order the exact car I want regardless of when it will get to me. If I end up getting a credit, sweet, but if I don't, oh well.

This will take the stress out of the configuration screen when I get let in. If the multi coat red one delays my delivery by a quarter, no big deal. I will order the car I want, no compromises to try and get it earlier.

And I am not going to try and get online first thing on the 1st either. I will get logged in when I can and place my order then. No midnight wake ups to hit the website.

So an owner can wait many months to make a reservation right before production starts and be placed ahead of new customers who place their reservation at the store before the reveal. HMM, that does not sound so honorable to me.

I am still going to order one, because I've been waiting 10 years already and I've test driven a Model S and pushed me into obsession territory, but I would bet many not so obsessive people will see this as a bad move on Tesla's part and just pass on this altogether. It almost makes me think, "Is there any point in going and reserving one on the 31st?"