Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S&X positioning shift after Model 3 unveiling?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sanny

Jul 7, 2013
US
What to you all think about any potential changes in model S and X market positioning after Model 3 will become a reality? Do you expect Tesla to move them upmarket, keep the same position, cut prices, inflate prices, add features, facelift them?
Interested not in an investment perspective but more like a potential buyer - looking for an input from investing forum crowd.

So many Tesla owners are TSLA owners, it's unlike any other brand. Tesla has had its own place in the sand box for so long, I don't think anyone has an accurate understanding of how to separate X, S and 3. But we're here to speculate.

With your second post, it looks to me like they may be feeling there isn't enough. It's late in the game, and hard to believe there is any more performance that could be eek'd from small/large motor Model S/X. They went full blast, there, took the driver-dash away from 3, put out the "internal" comparo sheet, and then there's this sudden notion 3 may have much greater than 215 miles of range (~300?). We're in the Osborne zone, if we weren't already. New July Model S orders have to be 'feelin' it', if they haven't been for the last ~quarter. Otherwise, "saturation" talk or the need to find/expand markets gets more serious. I'd expect a refresh, perhaps inside MS, but that generally speaking a Model 3 having near the range of MS/X would put an irreversible dent in MS/X sales. Perhaps they accept this, and only want to minimize it.

If Model 3 is any indication of where Model S interior is going, I'm out. It's time to spend some money on things that help drivers keep their eyes on the road. That should, at least, be an option.

Reactions: neroden