Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X Refresh UK Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

James-R10

Model S Plaid 01/01/21 MSM/BlackCF/FSD/21" EU+ M3P
Aug 19, 2017
UK
Thought I'd created a thread for those waiting for a refreshed Model S/X.

Had mine ordered since Jan this year and I've been told earliest is Q4 2022 :(

Anyone else in UK&I ordered one and heard any more about delivery dates?

Reactions: MrBadger
My S is coming up to 3yrs old but no way would i consider any car without being able to test it first. I'm not prepared to assume that it'll be as comfortable for my size with whatever internal changes they've made. I did want the roadster but heaven knows when that's actually going to some to the UK. It's the range I'm after and plaid + is off the makers list.
Here's my math (and I don't care how others refute it). 500miles = 400 miles winter. Allow winter safety margins for stopping off and everything getting cold, traffic jams or incidents of 50 miles and we're at 350 miles - or effectively 175mile radius from home unless I’m prepared to stick to motorways or make SC detours. That and not being allowed to port my FSD despite it never being as promised when I got it, The high cost = high loss on any new car. Whether I can afford it or not isn't the point - it has to be perfect for me. I don't see me ever bothering with launch control and hanging around for battery conditioning etc. My 4 second S is more than enough.
Q4 2022 on Elon time? Perhaps with 2 new factories he'll make it, but I bet he's keener on Cybertruck sales and who knows what new stuff and new charger options will be about by 2023....?

I ordered mine this week, Model X plaid, since overhere in Belgium, the difference between the long range and the plaid is only 15 000 €.

I regret that the range is only 340 miles, since if you only charge for 80% you are left with 272 miles (438 km). So you do not empty your battery, leaving you with a summer range of 249 miles (400 km).

Which is not enough since in winter you have maybe 200 miles (320 km).....

So would prefer a battery of 400 miles (some 640 km).

I always wondered why Tesla does NOT offer HEAD UP DISPLAY? which i had with my ML, X5 40D, X5 M50D.

Mercedes offers with their EV a full year of free charging, 10 years on the battery and 155000 miles (250 000 km) if battery needs to be repaired.

Lucid Air offres 3 years olf free charging, so i feel that Tesla is behind here.

I went for the Model X for the space it offers.

Hopefully car gets delivered march 2022, but you never know....

François

Why does everyone think you need to get to your destination and back home without charging? I can understand this if you’re commuting 5 days a week. But for the odd journey, a couple times of year, surely stopping for 20 minutes isn’t going to kill you? I’ve never had a problem of using a SUC, always been one available whenever I’ve turned up and always working.

Reactions: Caramel
Why does everyone think you need to get to your destination and back home without charging? I can understand this if you’re commuting 5 days a week. But for the odd journey, a couple times of year, surely stopping for 20 minutes isn’t going to kill you? I’ve never had a problem of using a SUC, always been one available whenever I’ve turned up and always working.
You assume your route goes past a supercharger - otherwise it's a variable detour.

Don’t shout!
Any UK Model X LR on order with any news : Dates (Even rough months etc)

I ordered in March this year (2021) and can’t remember what the lead time was on the UK site when I ordered.
UK site says “End of 2022” but I am positive when I ordered mine it was not the end of 2022.
I would of still ordered it if it was, but as I said I’m confident it was earlier.
I am thinking it was June 2022, delivery
Has anyone else UK ordered around March this year?

Tesla RHD X orders at the moment look like £5000/year insurance quotes you get from companies that just don't want to insure you.

I see price has gone up by £5000 too, 6 seater in white interior is now £103k without adding in AP. Mad to think in 2016 you could get a base X for £64k and its essentially the same car but with a bigger battery and a new MCU computer.

It feels like Tesla really don't want to make/sell the X anymore, so they are just pushing customers to the Y.

It really wouldn't susprise me if the Cybertruck makes an appearance next year in the US Tesla drops the X shortly after :(.

Don’t shout!
Any UK Model X LR on order with any news : Dates (Even rough months etc)

I ordered in March this year (2021) and can’t remember what the lead time was on the UK site when I ordered.
UK site says “End of 2022” but I am positive when I ordered mine it was not the end of 2022.
I would of still ordered it if it was, but as I said I’m confident it was earlier.
I am thinking it was June 2022, delivery
Has anyone else UK ordered around March this year?

RHD models are always the last ones to be made. EU est is Q1 2022 so I would expect RHD models would be Q3/Q4 2022. The website originally said mid 2022.

Last time I looked on the website at the Model X (in November / early December '21) it was showing delivery as sometime in 2023. I presume this was for the original version of the Model X.

When I checked last night, all the prices and delivery dates had disappeared, and it was listing the refreshed version of the Model X and S with fully refundable order fee for pre-orders.

I am assuming that the earliest these will realistically hit the UK will be 2023 still (Q4 2022 at the very best). Presumably these will be built in Germany? Does that align with other people's views?

I noticed the prices and delivery dates vanish a few days ago too. No way to guess what's in Tesla's head - quite likely can't be bothered to build rt hand drive versions for the sales they’ll get compared to churning out more mass market vehicles and keep delaying stuff until their builds are ahead of sales... the same issue with 'abandoned' roadster. As for gigakraut - do they have permissions yet? So far they've been going forwards with the factory despite final approvals and conspiracy theorists assume the big German names are behind hold-ups.
They may well be expecting numbers of S & X owners to move to the Y and reduce their new sales SX further - or a situation they are creating without concern for those that jump ship. I'm resigned to running my S longer than I planned and waiting for better charge infrastructure and non Tesla alternatives. The way leccy prices are going they may not reman as attractive a proposition anyway.

Reactions: tonyj01
I reserved a plaid back in June and I am tempted to switch to a Taycan as universally the Taycan has attracted more favourable reviews, especially from a handling and braking perspective.

For 120k you can get a Turbo CT, albeit with less power and range but you get better handling and quality.

I’ll stick with the plaid order for now and decide mid next year. We’ll have a better understanding of vehicle improvements and more importantly, RHD availability!

You could order a 2021 refresh MS and MX until a few weeks ago when Tesla dropped the ability to order outside the Americas. It was news at the time.

Nobody really knows why, I’ve read there’s a fair amount of US inventory available for immediate delivery and there’s been sightings of a new rear including lights thought to accommodate CCS suggesting they were working on the changes we’d need - maybe it’s tied to factories or they don’t know how much they’re going to cost to make (maybe new batteries, different factory, other changes) and so don’t want to set a price whereas US can be delivered from an existing facility with known costs.

You could order a 2021 refresh MS and MX until a few weeks ago when Tesla dropped the ability to order outside the Americas. It was news at the time.

Nobody really knows why, I’ve read there’s a fair amount of US inventory available for immediate delivery and there’s been sightings of a new rear including lights thought to accommodate CCS suggesting they were working on the changes we’d need - maybe it’s tied to factories or they don’t know how much they’re going to cost to make (maybe new batteries, different factory, other changes) and so don’t want to set a price whereas US can be delivered from an existing facility with known costs.

They still allow you to ‘reserve’ I think, e.g. they are happy to take £100 off you with the ability to obtain a refund if you are unhappy with the final price.

My price was locked once I placed the order so as far as I can tell they’ve removed the price lock guarantee.

I expect with the fluctuating price of commodities, chip shortages, shipping costs, they simply are unwilling to project the final price given the delays into 2023.

I don’t expect significant changes to the final cost as competition is increasing and I am hopeful that they improve the capabilities of the car before it hits the UK market, e.g. braking performance, handling improvements, descent headlights (matrix), etc. UK car journalists are fairly unforgiving if basics like handling and braking are subpar, and the Model S Plaid is primarily a marketing tool for Tesla so poor reviews will impact the halo effect for more affordable models.

I buy into the theory that they may never release the car into RHD markets if the demand is below what had been expected. The Taycan is selling well, at least in the UK, so there is demand for crazy fast EV’s that handle well.

I ordered a Plaid X in Jan 2021 (I think just when orders for the new model opened).

At the time it said delivery "early 2022" . Of course, one knows from experience that Mr. Musk's timelines are optimistic, to say the least.

The lease on my current (2017) X ran out in September so I decided to buy and keep it and I presume I will be keeping it at least until end 2022 if not longer.

So many countries, in almost all continents use RHD, I doubt they would not make an RHD Model S/X.

My concern is that I reserved a long range MS for 2022/23 some time ago at the lower price [still high], I worry that Tesla will only deliver to newer orders at the present higher price of this model, at £10k more. If I wish to change colour of my car on order, tat cats £10k to change - it's a new order. How rude of them.

I read they have done this in USA.

This company seems to treat their existing customers, often early adopters, very badly.

If the charging infra structure was better I would be ordering a different make of car. However, I was in BMW dealership today, looking at 9 months wait for a new EV model.

Tony

So many countries, in almost all continents use RHD, I doubt they would not make an RHD Model S/X.
That still doesn't men that the total order numbers and logistics of a few per country would trigger Tesla to bother
My concern is that I reserved a long range MS for 2022/23 some time ago at the lower price [still high], I worry that Tesla will only deliver to newer orders at the present higher price of this model, at £10k more. If I wish to change colour of my car on order, tat cats £10k to change - it's a new order. How rude of them.

I read they have done this in USA.

This company seems to treat their existing customers, often early adopters, very badly.
S&X were used to generate rapid profit to get the next stage up and running and get the name out. This is not a Car company when you compare them to other marques that have dozens of models and variations. This is a money and vanity business with the customer being a nuisance?
If the charging infra structure was better I would be ordering a different make of car. However, I was in BMW dealership today, looking at 9 months wait for a new EV model.
Hopefully that will change as other makers ramp up battery supply and the chip shortage goes away. But a 9mths BMW wait is likely more reliable than a Tesla 'sometime'.

New owner enthusiasm over undoubted performance and novelty will wane as those owners learn to become less tolerant of the 'Tesla way'

My best guess on the massive lead times is...

Cars used to be finished off in the Netherlands. I believe a certain % of a car has to be built in the EU to achieve reduced tariffs (hence all the hoo-ha over Brexit and Nissan) when importing. Also you might want to do localisation and regional testing on things. The NL plant was never upgraded for the newer models, the assumption being it would be done in Giga Berlin in the future.
So if NL has indeed closed without being re-tooled, then it could be a case for all of Europe to wait for the finishing lines to be built and then enough car parts to be imported. Oh, and Berlin to actually open.

Why MY/M3 can come straight from Shanghai though? Maybe differences between EU/CN and EU/US deals or things only apply in certain price ranges or a limited number of units per year don't incur tariffs?

Again, only a best guess based on the above news articles and everything I've read in the past 6 years due to Brexit and international trade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Presumably these will be built in Germany? Does that align with other people's views?
I doubt it - the new factories are set up to be automated as much as possible for the volume vehicles (3 and Y). The X doesn't sell enough to warrant the investment in the assembly line needed.

I guess they may continue to do the final assembly trick to avoid import taxes but I get the feeling they don't really care about that anymore and will just increase the price to the customer to cover the extra cost.

Do we have any update on whether we can still expect UK deliveries of the S+X H2 2022 ? I've emailed TeslaGB but not holding out on a response.. If it gets pushed to 2023 it makes the EQS 53+ AMG an attractive offering deliverable before summer this year.