Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X Retrofit steering wheel sold out already

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did anyone with both wheels checked why is there new airbag, which part doesn't fit yoke?
I don’t buy that they are a different fitment in terms of locking pin placement (yet). I will pull the round wheel air bag and try to place it in the yoke and let you know.

The shape of the internal airbag itself and the deployment trajectory is different however.

As spoken about before, a yoke airbag very well may not fully inflate if used in conjunction with a round wheel as the the top of the wheel is said to impede the full expansion of the airbag.

I’d love to get a donor of each type and remove the airbags to examine. Of course after the detonation charge was tenders safe.

Reactions: zivac87
I don’t buy that they are a different fitment in terms of locking pin placement (yet). I will pull the round wheel air bag and try to place it in the yoke and let you know.

The shape of the internal airbag itself and the deployment trajectory is different however.

As spoken about before, a yoke airbag very well may not fully inflate if used in conjunction with a round wheel as the the top of the wheel is said to impede the full expansion of the airbag.

I’d love to get a donor of each type and remove the airbags to examine. Of course after the detonation charge was tenders safe.
That would be really useful

I have been hesitant to swap over to the steering wheel retrofit from Tesla. But my wife really dislikes driving it with the yoke. So I decided it was time to order the retrofit. Alas I can’t find it on the shop Tesla website anymore. Has it been discontinued? Or am I just looking in the wrong spot?

I have been hesitant to swap over to the steering wheel retrofit from Tesla. But my wife really dislikes driving it with the yoke. So I decided it was time to order the retrofit. Alas I can’t find it on the shop Tesla website anymore. Has it been discontinued? Or am I just looking in the wrong spot?
Put it in a service request via the app and they will give you a price quote and ask if you wish to proceed.

Reactions: nBar5EV1

Both yoke/wheel are being replaced with a new version that has the horn in the center. Also requires a new airbag. The yoke cover is much higher quality with much more traditional leather wrapped stitching (not actual leather still).

Someone had their turn signal replaced and were told they'd have to wait until March for the new one. They were even offered a yoke to wheel conversion for free.

Reactions: nBar5EV1
I believe you can go back to stalks and have the round steering wheel if you wanted. The model 3 refresh is what sparked it because a few people won't like the stalkless option. I test drove the newest model 3 yesterday and I turned on the auto forward and backwards setting and I prefer if. I will admit that the muscle memory from owning an older model was reaching for the stalk for the first 5 minutes then after that I was fine.

I believe you can go back to stalks and have the round steering wheel if you wanted. The model 3 refresh is what sparked it because a few people won't like the stalkless option. I test drove the newest model 3 yesterday and I turned on the auto forward and backwards setting and I prefer if. I will admit that the muscle memory from owning an older model was reaching for the stalk for the first 5 minutes then after that I was fine.

On the Model S and Model X you can (at least in theory) switch from yoke to wheel and vice versa.

There has not, in the last 2+ years, been an option offered by Tesla to add stalks to the Palladium Model S/X or remove stalks from older S/X. Note this thread is about the steering wheel retrofit to cars that originally came with a yoke, not the presence or absence of stalks.

Bruce.

Reactions: WilliamG