Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X Retrofit steering wheel sold out already

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems odd that the number of people who have never used the yoke hate it and assume everyone else hates it. It took me less than a week to be comfortable with it. It is different and I have no issue with those that used it and want to go back to a round wheel. Some are unable to adapt and nothing wrong with that, but it should be given more than a look or a 10-minute test ride. Having used it for more than a year now, I would not go back to round even if offered for free. It's great that Tesla offers a round choice now for those that feel they need it.

Seems odd that the number of people who have never used the yoke hate it and assume everyone else hates it. It took me less than a week to be comfortable with it. It is different and I have no issue with those that used it and want to go back to a round wheel. Some are unable to adapt and nothing wrong with that, but it should be given more than a look or a 10-minute test ride. Having used it for more than a year now, I would not go back to round even if offered for free. It's great that Tesla offers a round choice now for those that feel they need it.

You assume much about what people have and havenā€™t done. Iā€™m driving with the stupid thing every day. And Iā€™ll admit, Iā€™ve adapted to it a bit but definitely donā€™t like it. Drove my wifeā€™s X for the first time in a few weeks yesterday and remembered how much better the wheel is.

Is the yoke usable? Sure. But thereā€™s nothing about it I consider an upgrade from a standard wheel. At best, in certain situations, itā€™s at parity. But for too many situations, itā€™s not even close to that.

You assume much about what people have and havenā€™t done. Iā€™m driving with the stupid thing every day. And Iā€™ll admit, Iā€™ve adapted to it a bit but definitely donā€™t like it. Drove my wifeā€™s X for the first time in a few weeks yesterday and remembered how much better the wheel is.

Is the yoke usable? Sure. But thereā€™s nothing about it I consider an upgrade from a standard wheel. At best, in certain situations, itā€™s at parity. But for too many situations, itā€™s not even close to that.
I go between a Yoke and Wheel all the time. Sometimes I reach for the damn missing blinker buttons on the wheeled car.

Like @vcor said, some folks have trouble adapting. Heā€™s also right I think there are lot of couch quarterbacks that assume itā€™s bad without ever seriously trying one. And seriously trying means owning it. I was comfortable quickly. But it took many many miles before truly adapting.

Reactions: AW9nineteen
This. My wife hated it on the first drive and next day. When we purchased I told her we canā€™t get the wheel until later so sheā€™ll have to deal or drive my car. She has since warmed up to it.

I am a one hand driver mostly and rest my arm on my leg or console. Probably why the base of the wheel is larger. I like it

I had the factory steering wheel retrofitted to my MS LR. I had originally purchased a Hannshow wheel and my son took it for his car.

I was going to get the factory steering wheel for my Plaid but my son plans on selling his car and put the yoke back on and gave me the Hansshow wheel back. I just put it on today.

I have to say Hansshow nailed and Tesla blew it. The Hansshow wheel just feels so much better in my hand AND I can the display in front of me very well, much better than the Tesla wheel. See attached crappy picture with some reflection that I shot today. The Hansshow wheel doesn't block out the speed limit sign on the main display like the Tesla wheel did. This might be a better option for taller drivers. I am 6'1" for reference with a taller than average torso.

Not to mention it is real leather and it feels much better in the hand. Overall the quality of the wheel is very good to ok because of a bit of gap. I can't see it when driving it. I don't recall it being that way when my son had it so maybe he did something to it. For some reason the left side of the wheel is dark for the buttons but I'll troubleshoot that tomorrow. That doesn't really bother me as I have the muscle memory for the buttons and the little buttons help with finding what I am looking for quickly. Based $1 I've ever spent on a Tesla.

I've driven enough miles with the yoke to becomeused to it. Going back to the wheel just makes the car a lot more enjoyable for me. The shape of the Hansshow works for my grip style as well and easy cruising hand positions as well which was something I liked about the yoke. The wheel looks great in the car too. I missed real leather for a touchpoint.

IMG_9984.jpg

I picked up a used Plaid about 10 days ago and have gotten comfortable with the yoke, but ordered the Tesla regular wheel retrofit which I'm having installed in about two weeks. The on-screen shifter doesn't bother me much, if at all, and I thought I would hate it. What does bother me though...

...lack of turn signal stalk. This is just stupid touch buttons for stupid touch buttons sake. Always have to check and see that I've hit the correct button - in 25+ years of driving I never had to check to make sure I've activated the proper directional indicator. It's just an unnecessary distraction and loss of focus from driving.
...no real horn button. Sometimes I hit it accidentally when turning the yoke. When I want to hit it purposefully, I pretty much can't get to it as quickly as I would like/need to.

Now I understand in the fictitious world of self-driving and "all human input is error" you'd want fewer controls to accidentally hit. But that world does not, and may never, exist. For those of us in 2023, a turn signal stalk and usable horn button - why can't I mash the airbag like I can in just about every other vehicle - is a bizarre, unsettling, mystery that only seeks to distract a driver creating more opportunity for error and accidents...but maybe that has been the point all along otherwise how can you prove computer-controlled driving is better? Why not make it harder for humans to drive!

Reactions: bmah
Ten
I picked up a used Plaid about 10 days ago and have gotten comfortable with the yoke, but ordered the Tesla regular wheel retrofit which I'm having installed in about two weeks. The on-screen shifter doesn't bother me much, if at all, and I thought I would hate it. What does bother me though...

...lack of turn signal stalk. This is just stupid touch buttons for stupid touch buttons sake. Always have to check and see that I've hit the correct button - in 25+ years of driving I never had to check to make sure I've activated the proper directional indicator. It's just an unnecessary distraction and loss of focus from driving.
...no real horn button. Sometimes I hit it accidentally when turning the yoke. When I want to hit it purposefully, I pretty much can't get to it as quickly as I would like/need to.

Now I understand in the fictitious world of self-driving and "all human input is error" you'd want fewer controls to accidentally hit. But that world does not, and may never, exist. For those of us in 2023, a turn signal stalk and usable horn button - why can't I mash the airbag like I can in just about every other vehicle - is a bizarre, unsettling, mystery that only seeks to distract a driver creating more opportunity for error and accidents...but maybe that has been the point all along otherwise how can you prove computer-controlled driving is better? Why not make it harder for humans to drive!
The turn signals I've gotten used to after 18 months, except when the yoke is upside down. Then it requires thought.

The gear selection is still problematic, because about once a month I get it wrong and start going the wrong direction....

The turn signals you get used to (except when the yoke is upside down). It's really easy, given you can rest your thumb on the raised divider, and you'll eventually remember which direction is which using that divider is a guide. I never look at my turn signals now.

Reactions: zoomer0056
The turn signals you get used to (except when the yoke is upside down). It's really easy, given you can rest your thumb on the raised divider, and you'll eventually remember which direction is which using that divider is a guide. I never look at my turn signals now.
I'm working on it! :)

I have learned how to one-hand the yoke, even for turning, but am still looking forward to my old-school round steering wheel.

Waiting for mobile service to come install the steering wheel retrofit on my Palladium LR Model X, after having tried out the steering wheel on a Palladium LR Model S. I had no issues with visibility (I'm 5' 7"). It was interesting that the on-line store let me do the order, but the service center that's home base for mobile service in my area had to push my appointment back because the wheel is "backordered" (maybe it just needs to be shipped from a logistics warehouse?).

As with other people, a more significant issue for me is a lack of turn and shifter stalks, for reasons already discussed.

I also might not care quite so much if a yoke-equipped Tesla was my only car, but we have two other cars with more conventional setups in our household (older Model S and a BMW) and switching between control setups is pretty jarring. I'd rather have a (non-existent) stalk retrofit, but I'll take the wheel retrofit over nothing at all.

Bruce.

PS. To anyone who says "just give it a chance, you'll get used to it", I've been driving on the yoke and no-stalks for a little over a year and 18K miles. I gave it a chance and it doesn't work for me or my family, so I'm trying to fix up what I can.

As with other people, a more significant issue for me is a lack of turn and shifter stalks, for reasons already discussed.

I also might not care quite so much if a yoke-equipped Tesla was my only car, but we have two other cars with more conventional setups in our household (older Model S and a BMW) and switching between control setups is pretty jarring. I'd rather have a (non-existent) stalk retrofit, but I'll take the wheel retrofit over nothing at all.

Bruce.

PS. To anyone who says "just give it a chance, you'll get used to it", I've been driving on the yoke and no-stalks for a little over a year and 18K miles. I gave it a chance and it doesn't work for me or my family, so I'm trying to fix up what I can.
See my thread here.

Enhance Auto - aka S3XY buttons working on something interesting for refreshed S/X

Reactions: bmah
Waiting for mobile service to come install the steering wheel retrofit on my Palladium LR Model X, after having tried out the steering wheel on a Palladium LR Model S. I had no issues with visibility (I'm 5' 7"). It was interesting that the on-line store let me do the order, but the service center that's home base for mobile service in my area had to push my appointment back because the wheel is "backordered" (maybe it just needs to be shipped from a logistics warehouse?).

Bruce.

No argument from me. It really is junk. I've been driving my Plaid for 2 years and still think it sucks. Just waiting for the opportunity to sit in a wheeled model to make sure it works with my 6'5" height and dash visibility and then I'll switch.

@WilliamG there are other options than the Tesla wheel. While I have to say it is much better than the Plaid, I think the aftermarket did a better job with coming up with a replacement. The more I use the Hansshow, the more I like it. It just feels very natural to use.

Your height is likely more of an issue with the factory wheel than some of the aftermarket options. As I and others have experienced with it, you will like have the speed limit sign obscured partially or totally. That wasn't a big deal for me vs. the benefit of getting rid of the yoke in general.

If you look at my photo upstream in this thread, with the wheel at the exact same height setting, the 70 mph speed limit sign would have been partially obscured. As you can see with the Hansshow, it is easily visible.

FWIW I think the people who love the yoke are way more defensive. You like it, that's fine. Reality is many do not. It isn't because they "aren't adaptable", or whatever other passive aggressive jab the stalwart "yokeites" need to come up with. The yoke is objectively poorly done. It's too wide, and the steering ratio is terrible. A good yoke implementation, again objectively, would have variable ratio, drive by wire, steering and be narrower. That would also cost more, which IS NOT THE WAY (for Tesla)

I'm genuinely happy for anyone who is so in love with the yoke that they will never drive another car that doesn't have one, but I'd bet money that the numbers are going to show this is a real minority of S/X drivers long term.

I think I bought one of the first S Plaids to come from the factory with a full wheel. I found the car in inventory and jumped on it. I think aftermarket steering wheels still give you a better look. Here is one from Unleashed Customs I purchased that cost a little over $1000. The lead time is long but I think it is worth waiting for.

Wheel.jpg

It is an easy swap back. After you do it the first time, maybe 10-15 minutes max.

While the factory wheel was a significant improvement over the yoke, you don't realize how good it could have been until you compare it with the aftermarket options. Again Tesla just sort of phoned it in. It feels like they made the wheel as cheaply as the possibly could. Just enough to call it a wheel, eliminate the anger over the yoke, and basically just tick a box.

The wheel in a Chevy Bolt is nicer than the wheel for the S/X. I'll take the wheel in the 3/Y over the S/X wheel. I am glad they finally gave everyone an option but it feels cheap as hell. Contrast with the Hansshow which feels so much better you'd think it came from a German car company.

As for warranty, Tesla can be a pain of course, with anything. For the Hansshow, the base wheel is a Tesla wheel. All the electronics are Tesla. You swap them from your old wheel. That takes the most time for the swap.

I had the factory wheel on my LR and was all set to order another one when I got my Hasshow wheel back and thought I'd just throw it on for a while. Then came back the feeling of how much I liked it when I first put it on. I don't know where you are at in Texas @Mohamed Gobara but if you get to Dallas you are welcome to check out the wheel on my car.

Iā€™m gonna be a contrarian here, supposedly being in the minority that likes the yoke.

I think and this is just my personal opinion and Iā€™m not a pundit to say or defend my choice, but I think stalk removal and the simplification with the yoke and executing it through the touch screen works for me. I personally disliked the Mercedes stalk on my prior S, I just thought it looked outdated and didnā€™t match the Tesla styling and concept especially with the new interior. I think the yoke flows well with it and with a full steering wheel it looks strange.

I also had zero problems adapting to the haptic turn signals, which the majority in this forum maligned.