Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X Round Steering Wheel & Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered two weeks ago and the install was set for tomorrow. The service station texts me and says it on back order. Really disappointed, the round steering wheel is so popular Tesla can’t make enough, ha!
You may be right, they even replaced the round wheel with the yoke as the standard option on the configuration page.

The round wheel was standard and the yoke was an option. Now after another price drop the yoke is standard and the round wheel is an option.

• Informative
Reactions: TLLMRRJ and mm9351
I ordered mine the night they first released them. First service Appt was cancelled. Second Appt almost a month later was a waste of time as they told me 3 hours after having the car that they didn’t have the wheel and reschedule me for an appointment tomorrow. Got a message today that this latest Appt has now been moved right to next week. Absolute clown show.

I ordered mine the night they first released them. First service Appt was cancelled. Second Appt almost a month later was a waste of time as they told me 3 hours after having the car that they didn’t have the wheel and reschedule me for an appointment tomorrow. Got a message today that this latest Appt has now been moved right to next week. Absolute clown show.
Hope your wheel come in soon! Had my swap out today via mobile service and I must say that the Tech, Jim, was outstanding. All work was done as well as as software update to change the Glyph/images on screen. In addition, at my request on arrival, he helped diaganose and set up a service appointment and parts order for rear seat bolster and seat noise issue that had been there since delivery. He even took me For a test drive and said “is this what you are hearing? Yea that’s broken, we need to order parts and fix”.” DC may or may not fix, but this tech was 7 stars out of 5 :). Wheel feels much more comfortable to ME (no dig on the Yoke!) and with my body and settings I can see all driver screen settings like traffic light and speed sign just fine.

I just got my round steering wheel installed.
It is a little thinner and larger than I anticipated but its not too thin.
It looks better in the car than the yoke (imo). You can really see how good the steering feel/response really is with the round wheel.
I am overall pleased with it.
If you are a driving enthusiast like me, the round steering wheel is a must!!!

Hope your wheel come in soon! Had my swap out today via mobile service and I must say that the Tech, Jim, was outstanding. All work was done as well as as software update to change the Glyph/images on screen. In addition, at my request on arrival, he helped diaganose and set up a service appointment and parts order for rear seat bolster and seat noise issue that had been there since delivery. He even took me For a test drive and said “is this what you are hearing? Yea that’s broken, we need to order parts and fix”.” DC may or may not fix, but this tech was 7 stars out of 5 :). Wheel feels much more comfortable to ME (no dig on the Yoke!) and with my body and settings I can see all driver screen settings like traffic light and speed sign just fine.
They just pushed me right again to 26 April. I should be charging interest on my $700 at this point. BTW, my quick assessment - avoid the Sterling SC and stick with Tysons. From the Tech completely ignoring my request that he check my half shafts and insisting on road-force balancing my tires as the answer to the 35-55mph vibration, to the folks up front openly clowning a customer who was complaining about his automatic wipers randomly going off in front of other customers, to another dude rolling up to find a random wrong wheel mounted on his car with no explanation...hard pass.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
The service center was able to install my round wheel and I picked it up today. IMO this is what should have been offered day one. For me the round wheel is so, so, so much better. Biggest complaint (other than being extorted for $700) is why on earth is the horn still a small button and not the center of the wheel. Again, pretty ridiculous.

Don't worry, Tesla will hit us all up (wheel and yoke) for $700 when they finally have a retrofit for a horn button in the center of the wheel.

I don't believe the lie from Elon who said all the later ones have it in HW and just need it enabled in SW. Tesla will find a way to bugger us all and milk a few more dollars so he can drive down the price of the 3/Y even more.

Reactions: aerodyne
SC Message.jpg

New air bags appear to be in short supply...

Mobile service completed my retrofit yesterday and it’s such a big improvement over the yoke in day to day driving. The only real downside is that the wheel obscures the speed limit and the indicator for the lights in the instrument cluster - hopefully Tesla will move them in a future update.

I had to do a scroll wheel reset for the car to start showing the wheel rather than the yoke in software.
Obscuring the speedometer seems like a rather big reason not to do the retrofit… I’m dubious Tesla addresses this as I expect it will vary from person to person. How tall are you?

Reactions: aerodyne
Obscuring the speedometer seems like a rather big reason not to do the retrofit… I’m dubious Tesla addresses this as I expect it will vary from person to person. How tall are you?
I had the retrofit done on 4/7. I believe what Olly_ was referring to was not the speedometer, but rather the Speed limit sign at the top right and the traffic light indicator on the top left. Given my size (5-11, but longer torso, shorter legs) and my preferred seat/wheel position, mine is not obscured, but it is close. YMMV

• Helpful
Reactions: WilliamG
I had the retrofit done on 4/7. I believe what Olly_ was referring to was not the speedometer, but rather the Speed limit sign at the top right and the traffic light indicator on the top left. Given my size (5-11, but longer torso, shorter legs) and my preferred seat/wheel position, mine is not obscured, but it is close. YMMV
Good call. I did indeed appear to misread that. I'm just under 6'6" so I figure the steering wheel isn't going to work for me, no matter how much I want it. This car was clearly designed around the yoke (annoyingly).

Mobile service guy came to my house today to install the new roundish Tesla wheel and new airbag. He saw I already had an EV Secret round aftermarket Carbon Fiber wheel installed and asked way I wanted the Tesla wheel that‘s so plain compared to what I had. I told him that I believed the new airbag was different and configured for the rounder wheel. He said the new airbags are from the same company as the old but that he thought the opened bag was actually a tiny bit larger. So in case that was true I had him just install the new airbag and leave my existing wheel in place. He said I can keep my old airbag and that Tesla just throws the them away anyway. So I guess what really happened is that I paid $700.00 for a new airbag. But I do have the new Tesla wheel along with my Yoke being stored in my garage. 🤪

Last edited:
I would think a few things about the having the factory replacement wheel. You would hope that they got some NHTSA approval. At a minimum likely the design team is the same one who did the other wheels and likely put some engineering into it from a safety perspective.

In addition, the factory wheel will have a warranty. Not to mention I know how bad Tesla can be about warranty issues. Who knows what all they'll try and blame a non-factory steering input device for? So do I love my factory wheel? No, it isn't the nicest steering wheel I've had but I like that I don't have to worry about warranty issues associated with it (even if you use the factory switches). Just one less thing to worry about and far better than the yoke for me.

Secret EV is blowing out their Tesla Model S/X steering wheels so they also see the writing on the wall as well.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
I would think a few things about the having the factory replacement wheel. You would hope that they got some NHTSA approval. At a minimum likely the design team is the same one who did the other wheels and likely put some engineering into it from a safety perspective.

In addition, the factory wheel will have a warranty. Not to mention I know how bad Tesla can be about warranty issues. Who knows what all they'll try and blame a non-factory steering input device for? So do I love my factory wheel? No, it isn't the nicest steering wheel I've had but I like that I don't have to worry about warranty issues associated with it (even if you use the factory switches). Just one less thing to worry about and far better than the yoke for me.

Secret EV is blowing out their Tesla Model S/X steering wheels so they also see the writing on the wall as well.
I can’t believe the yoke actually received NHTSA approval.

• Funny
Reactions: Hayseed_MS
Based on seat and wheel positioning nothing is obscured for me. Loving the round wheel. What a concept, someone should have thought of the round wheel sooner.

So damn tired of waiting for this, from over ONE YEAR AGO, but I guess we have to assume that Elon was either telling a lie, or he just "misspoke?"

It was always a lie. He has said he knows more about manufacturing than anyone in the world. Someone that great would not misspeak of such a thing. He Is the TechNOking for gosh sakes.

Thing is, those that switched to an aftermarket steering wheel and tire apart the airbag to move to the new one have known for over a year the airbag didn't have wires for a horn switch and 'was only waiting for software' as The King said 18 months ago.

A day after having the round steering wheel installed the airbag fell out on to my lap on the way home from work...
I had to drive home holding the connected airbag in with one hand. Not good or safe. I tried to pop it in myself but didn't want to damage anything.
I had a mobile technician come to my house and fix it about a couple hours later. He told me the technician that installed mine just learned how to install the steering wheel...

I was able to keep my yoke after a little back and fourth with the service advisor. They kept my airbag though, I wasn't aware they just throw them out...

Typical awful Tesla service. :mad: I will say the mobile technician was very helpful and down to earth.

A day after having the round steering wheel installed the airbag fell out on to my lap on the way home from work...
I had to drive home holding the connected airbag in with one hand. Not good or safe. I tried to pop it in myself but didn't want to damage anything.
I had a mobile technician come to my house and fix it about a couple hours later. He told me the technician that installed mine just learned how to install the steering wheel...

I was able to keep my yoke after a little back and fourth with the service advisor. They kept my airbag though, I wasn't aware they just throw them out...

Typical awful Tesla service. :mad: I will say the mobile technician was very helpful and down to earth.
Wow, I wouldn't have wanted to drive with the airbag in my lap. Good thing you have gonads made of steel (assuming you are of that gender of course). If not, likely a wee bit less traumatic then.

• Funny
Reactions: Laddcruzer