TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model S / X to get CCS2 charging adapter - Confirmed

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by rohan3au, Nov 14, 2018.

1. rohan3au

rohan3au Member

2. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Active Member

I want this adapter to come in a US-compatible version too.

• Like x 2
  3. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

In Europe, the use the Mennekes plug, not the Tesla plug. The adapter is likely just a hardware adapter, rather than the complex software/hardware adapter like would be needed for the US (think CHAdeMO adapter). I wouldn't get too excited by this Europe-only development...

My other issue is that this opens the door for other CCS-equipped vehicles to someday use the Supercharger system. Not a problem right now at most Superchargers, but they are building TM3s faster than they are building Superchargers alread --, adding in other manufacturer's vehicles might be an issue.

4. mtndrew1

mtndrew1 Member

There would need to be some sort of billing method added for other manufacturers to use Tesla’s CCS superchargers. Without that addition it remains exclusive.

• Like x 1
  5. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Active Member

that would be nice

6. mtndrew1

mtndrew1 Member

I would like a J1772/CCS port available for the passenger tail light opening in the North American market cars, in addition to the Tesla inlet on the driver side.

This also points to an S/X refresh of some sort sooner rather than later. No way Tesla’s premium products need an adapter while the “cheap” car gets additional functionality for free.

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  7. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

Very true. They already have a different model for China, with an extra large charge port door. Likely could use that... so it doesn't have to be a big refresh.

8. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Well-Known Member

• Like x 2
  9. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

Remember most of the world uses this connector: Of the markets currently served by Tesla, the Type 2 style connector is used in Europe, UAE, Jordan, Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand and South Korea. (Tesla vehicles in China also use it but they also have a separate GB/T connector, so whatever happens there will be a special case).

It's highly likely that any country where Tesla currently uses Type 2 for DC charging will get a CCS2 socket. (Australia and NZ are also confirmed)

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  10. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

Absolutely right! Thanks for pointing that out.

11. quantumslip

quantumslip Member

South Korea is going to be interesting. Even though Tesla uses type 2 there, they are going to CCS1. South Korea To Standardize CCS/Combo Fast Charge Standard

This raises the question, will there be a CCS1 -> Type 2 (Tesla) adapter? CCS1 -> CCS2 for model 3? Some other option? Maybe SK will end up with CCS1, CCS2, and Chademo in the country technically.

This makes me wish they just used Type 2 everywhere...

12. RDoc

RDoc S85D

Can you provide a reference for CCS not allowing adapters? I've looked quite a bit and never found such a restriction. My conclusion was that the no adapters thing is a forum rumor. I certainly am willing to be corrected though if anyone can come up with an authoritative source.

13. henderrj

henderrj Member

A few years ago I read the CCS spec somewhere and confirmed that it said no adapters. I assumed that would eventually be changed, but have heard nothing since then

• Informative x 1
  14. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

Maybe not officially...

But in Australia, a few years we suffered from no national standard and sourced EVs from a variety of countries - each manufacturer just supplied cars with "whatever was used back at HQ" ... this lead to a mish mash of standards. It resulted in some motivated electricians building adaptors such as this:

upload_2018-11-16_22-24-19.png

That's a CCS2 DC charger, charging a CCS1 BMW i3.

Source: PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

• Informative x 2
  15. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Well-Known Member

And who, pray tell, would possibly be in a position to enforce such a restriction?

16. RDoc

RDoc S85D

Can you provide a link to that? I've looked quite a bit on the net and have never been able to confirm that CCS doesn't allow adapters. My current belief is that this supposed CCS adapter prohibition is an internet rumor.

I'd be happy to be corrected, but I don't believe anything not from CharIn or other official sources.

• Like x 1
  17. henderrj

henderrj Member

Good point. I suppose it would be a warranty issue, "use an unauthorized adapter and void your warranty". Not sure quite what to make of that. I do know that when my utility offered a rebate on EVSE systems they wouldn't do it unless it was ul listed. I'm assuming they wouldn't approve something not authorized by the committee.

18. henderrj

henderrj Member

Absolutely fair. And I'll have to look it up. I can remember being a bit surprised by it myself. Busy until next week so So will try to get to it then. Sorry!

19. miimura

miimura Active Member

This also happens in markets that don't have good manufacturer support for EVs. Some dealers have imported US spec e-Golf cars to Iceland and sold them on to unsuspecting buyers. US Cars have CCS1 ports and the few fast chargers that exist in Iceland are CCS2. Adapters for this situation are commercially available, for a steep price.
    SALE!! European to US CCS Combo 2 to CCS Combo 1 EV Quick Charger Adapter

• Informative x 1
  20. rohan3au

rohan3au Member

It's covered by "DIN spec 70121:2014" and "ISO 15118-3", but the problem is, that it costs hundreds of dollars to access these documents.