Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X Yoke steering wheel upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There literally could be ZERO RIM AT ALL. Like you could saw the ENTIRE rim off. And guess what? The airbag will STILL deploy just fine if the front collision sensors tell it to.

What happens when a 200lb body slams into the airbag, though? How do you know the rim of the steering wheel isn't a critical component to supporting the bag from behind? Remove half the wheel and voila you get half the impact resistance as the airbag slides up instead of being held in place.

I don't know if that's a problem or not, but I'm sure that these vehicles have not been crash tested in that configuration and so I would be hesitant to make such a confident statement that "there literally could be zero rim at all." There is a lot of engineering that goes into the crash performance of an automobile and I would be not be so cavalier about swapping out the part your face smashes into during a collision.

And of course there's the part where you're removing half of the surface area of the controls of the car. The top half of the steering wheel in my 6 year-old S is all shiney from being handled all the time. Put a yoke into a situation where an emergency maneuver is required and I think it's highly likely that you are not able to control the steering as well as you could with a full round wheel.

the question is whether the whole steering wheel plays a part in taking the force of the body via the bag

Thank you.

Last edited:

Attachments

• 04D2B55B-18DC-40A3-84B4-14B7FB8C0D7A.png
    04D2B55B-18DC-40A3-84B4-14B7FB8C0D7A.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 181
Hi @NoMoGas I will buy the yoke with the heated feature. I can't find really any information on how to connect the cables in the yoke and I don't want to do a damage to any electrics inside the car. Can you help or post any guidance?

OK I'm not 100% sure what you're asking but to be clear if your steering wheel already has heat, the New Yoke is just plug and play

What happens when a 200lb body slams into the airbag, though? How do you know the rim of the steering wheel isn't a critical component to supporting the bag from behind? Remove half the wheel and voila you get half the impact resistance as the airbag slides up instead of being held in place.

I don't know if that's a problem or not, but I'm sure that these vehicles have not been crash tested in that configuration and so I would be hesitant to make such a confident statement that "there literally could be zero rim at all." There is a lot of engineering that goes into the crash performance of an automobile and I would be not be so cavalier about swapping out the part your face smashes into during a collision.

And of course there's the part where you're removing half of the surface area of the controls of the car. The top half of the steering wheel in my 6 year-old S is all shiney from being handled all the time. Put a yoke into a situation where an emergency maneuver is required and I think it's highly likely that you are not able to control the steering as well as you could with a full round wheel.

Thank you.
The airbag is not held in place by the wheel, it's held in place by the pressure that comes out of it. As someone who has unfortunately had the opportunity to test this out up close and personal

You can get aftermarket yoke steering wheels on AliExpress, $600-800.
No you cannot. Certainly not for the model S They add tax and delivery to that. It's literally the same place that I get them from, I just buy 10 at a time and work out a discount. Also, there's more than one supplier up there but after getting a few, only one that I would consider high quality.

Initially I wasn’t going to comment on this thread. OP was under the guise that we are a big family and he is passing on a deal to fellow model s owners in a “Group Buy”. As if he was doing us a favor and how dare you to *sugar* on my good deeds. I don’t think most of y’all feels the same way when you find out that you can get the yokes from a run down Chinese factory that you can negotiate for a bargain price of $499 shipped when you buy a quantity of 10 or more. This thread is reek of commercial sale where OP makes a whopping $500 profit per wheel. Of course OP and OPs two other accounts on this forum is steaming because positive, constructive, and legitimate questions is interfering with their scam and cutting in their profit.
Hey dude, do you know how much money I have made on this? $100. You are absolutely full of garbage. You don't know me so please stop pretending that you do. And yes we can negotiate it down with a group by of 10 or more which is why I'm trying to get a group by 10 or more. So two points for Dick Tracy over here he thinks he discovered something.

Some of us have actually met each other, attended rallies, hell in one case I went to a rally in Virginia several years ago with a lot of the guys in this forum so you can go on here and pretend to know who somebody is, as a new member with this being the only two posts that you have placed while I have been a supporting member since 2013. So I think I've made my case.

No you cannot. Certainly not for the model S They add tax and delivery to that. It's literally the same place that I get them from, I just buy 10 at a time and work out a discount. Also, there's more than one supplier up there but after getting a few, only one that I would consider high quality.

Just so people know, my supplier for the heated yoke steering wheel has lowered their price significantly, so while there still is a wait that could be for a few weeks I can just send you directly to them to order it. Here is the link for anybody who is interested, it's plug and play for the S and the X.

Just so people know, my supplier for the heated yoke steering wheel has lowered their price significantly, so while there still is a wait that could be for a few weeks I can just send you directly to them to order it. Here is the link for anybody who is interested, it's plug and play for the S and the X.

Could you help me find a yoke that’s alcantara and CF please? I feel like you’d have a better insight into a quality piece vs cheap junk. Thanks!

I just installed a yoke from pimp my ev and I'm having issues with the re installation of the airbag/controls module.
I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but I have tried to remove it and redo it several times, but I always end up with a 3mm gap on top and on the lower sides and it won't go in all the way, and the 2 bolt/screws on the back won't reach.
I confirmed several times the cables in the back are not pinched, and I believe I am properly aligning the clips.

I have been pressing pretty hard to push it in...

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0321.jpg
    IMG_0321.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0323.jpg
    IMG_0323.jpg
    317.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0324.jpg
    IMG_0324.jpg
    376.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0325.jpg
    IMG_0325.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 59
I’ve got a 2013 model S. Is this a DIY project or does it require a professional install?

Reallly depends on your skill set and level or confidence.

Just Removing a steering wheel and replacing it isn’t challenging, but just be aware you’re working around an air bag. There are plenty of tutorials on YouTube to help you see if you’re comfortable taking it on and have the tools to do so.