Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X Yoke steering wheel upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I so I made this upgrade to my 2014 model S. And I absolutely love it. If anyone is interested in a group by, let me know as I posted this on Facebook and I got overwhelmed in a matter of days. I don't know how much I can save on the actual wheel but if I buy these in bulk I suppose I could save money on at least shipping.

Yes they are heated if you have heating, although the heating is a little bit less than what is in the Tesla primarily because of the hand crafted leather wheel.

Attachments

• 259425557_10225912410018165_154877854440479592_n.jpg
    259425557_10225912410018165_154877854440479592_n.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 3,196
I'd be interested in learning more about it. For example, did you find instructions on how to transfer reused components and / or how to install the item? How much would it cost (at least at list - before anything you might arrange)?
Well installing it takes all of 15 minutes. It's literally three torque screws. You might need a breaker bar for the main one on the wheel, or a homemade breaker bar. The yoke wheel uses your existing buttons and horn/airbag. Yes, easy instructions come with it. I had my local mechanic install it and it cost me 50 bucks and 15 minutes.

Is it the same size as the OEM one? I've seen the wheel for the 3/Y and it's not the same shape.
I do not have the exact measurements of the OEM one, however when I pulled into Tesla yesterday they literally asked me if the car was new which to me made no sense because there's enough shoes that it's not but the wheel does strongly resemble the OEM wheel. If I had to guess, it's not exact.

Model S/X Yoke steering wheel upgrade​

"upgrade"

I don't even know why you would tell them and the original manufacturer has a yoke wheel now so I don't think it matters.
Sounds like a good reason for the insurance company not to cover your damages when they find out after an accident that you only had half a steering wheel installed.

Have you verified that the airbag will function properly without the support of the upper part of the steering wheel?

"upgrade"

Sounds like a good reason for the insurance company not to cover your damages when they find out after an accident that you only had half a steering wheel installed.

Have you verified that the airbag will function properly without the support of the upper part of the steering wheel?
Yes the airbag will function just fine, and the wheel is not much different than what is provided by the OEM. Also for the record, insurance companies generally cannot just deny coverage because you modified your car. Why? Because you are specifically covered for liability and negligence, which would be the clause that thy would invoke to do such a thing.

If you don't like the style that's fine, but there's no reason to fear monger.

Reactions: davidc18 and AMPd
"upgrade"

Whats the cost?
950 pus shipping for heated.

If ins doesnt change when persons have downloaded Ludicrous mode in the past, acceleration boost now, or with non ice cars, when guys add turbo chargers, superchargers, etc...then why the HECK would it change with a different steering wheel.

Reactions: AMPd
Yes the airbag will function just fine,

Do you have that in writing? Or is that your own speculation? Are you familiar with the engineering behind the airbag and how it's supported in a collision?

and the wheel is not much different than what is provided by the OEM.

Yeah it's pretty similar but half of it is missing.

Also for the record, insurance companies generally cannot just deny coverage because you modified your car. Why? Because you are specifically covered for liability and negligence, which would be the clause that thy would invoke to do such a thing.

Is liability the only kind of coverage you carry on a $85k+ car?

If you don't like the style that's fine, but there's no reason to fear monger.

Think of it as playing Devil's Advocate.

If ins doesnt change when persons have downloaded Ludicrous mode in the past, acceleration boost now, or with non ice cars, when guys add turbo chargers, superchargers, etc...then why the HECK would it change with a different steering wheel.

Are you sure it doesn't? Have you ever called your agent and made sure that they added those specs to your policy? Because if you did, I bet the premium would change . . .

Reactions: Wol747