Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Yoke Horn Confirmed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMO, they are either going to have to give the center horn to everybody or nobody.

As of today, we know where they stand.
I know, right? There have been several minor software updates since November—the most recent allows more customization of the bottom bar so one may add the defrost control etc. — it’s self evident every minor update required more programming effort than enabling a horn switch; none took six months.

Clearly, there’s another reason it’s not yet functional.

Reactions: nilesborg
I know, right? There have been several minor software updates since November—the most recent allows more customization of the bottom bar so one may add the defrost control etc. — it’s self evident every minor update required more programming effort than enabling a horn switch; none took six months.

Clearly, there’s another reason it’s not yet functional.
Exactly. Horn = ON is not a heavy lift for the programming team but here we are, months after the announcement, with no horn.

Reactions: nilesborg
If I had to order again I think I would still go with the yoke.
If the horn and turn signal implementations were improved I would definitely go with the yoke.
If speed sensitive steering ratios was also an option, I would most definitely stay with the yoke.
I’m genuinely confused by this. The yoke ruined turn signal & horn implementation to which you rightly object (as do I). Speed-sensitive steering ratios are not possible with a mechanical steering rack, so that’s not coming any time soon. Drive by wire would be more expensive, troublesome, and complex than it’s worth—it also would totally eliminate road feel and possibly kill you when it fails.

Packing all possible controls onto the yoke eliminated functions that were useful on the older cars—e.g.: the ability to answer or dismiss phone calls and texts from the wheel buttons, customizable thumb wheels, etc. On-screen shifting is incredibly annoying during tight parking and multi-point turns—common urban situations in which auto-park and the new auto-‘shift’ are useless.

Is there any tangible functionality that the yoke and stalkless controls have improved? What do you like about the yoke? I want to understand why you would stick with it, given the choice, in spite of your objections.

Speed-sensitive steering ratios are not possible with a mechanical steering rack, so that’s not coming any time soon.
Ford has done this in the F-Series Pickups by adding a motor to overdrive the steering rack compared to the wheel and retain a mechanical connection
Drive by wire would be more expensive, troublesome, and complex than it’s worth—it also would totally eliminate road feel and possibly kill you when it fails.
Would only really need a clutch installed inline on the shaft to disconnect and reconnect if power fails. Seems easy enough to also add a manual override if needed on the shaft similar to how manual tilt/telescoping wheels work. Then an extra motor in the shaft to provide force feedback. Electronic assist racks in general have poor road feel anyways.

No matter what though, I would gladly take a wheel + stalks over a yoke any day. Either way, everyone has their own opinions on what is the "right" option.

Reactions: TigerNinety
No matter what though, I would gladly take a wheel + stalks over a yoke any day. Either way, everyone has their own opinions on what is the "right" option.
Yup—any who like the haptic yoke, great—they may happily keep it! I, however, dislike it greatly.

Tesla should update the Model S/X software to enable the lines of code that recognize the Model 3/Y stalks and wheel so that you, I, and others can easily swap without jerking around with CAN-bus dongles or programming. If they do that, they’ll get more than $100k from me: I’ll order a new Model S, stalks, and a wheel immediately.

Last edited by a moderator:
It already has the code to support wheel/stalks. Hasn't been tested yet, but their toolbox software has functionality to program the system to allow the inputs from the wheel/stalks automatically. So basically $1,000 for the diagnostics adapter, and 30 day software access to program it from stock. I don't think Tesla will ever offer this service officially unfortunately.

Get a group together to share the tesla account and mail the diagnostics connector and you all have wheels/stalks.

I’m genuinely confused by this. The yoke ruined turn signal & horn implementation to which you rightly object (as do I). Speed-sensitive steering ratios are not possible with a mechanical steering rack, so that’s not coming any time soon. Drive by wire would be more expensive, troublesome, and complex than it’s worth—it also would totally eliminate road feel and possibly kill you when it fails.

Packing all possible controls onto the yoke eliminated functions that were useful on the older cars—e.g.: the ability to answer or dismiss phone calls and texts from the wheel buttons, customizable thumb wheels, etc. On-screen shifting is incredibly annoying during tight parking and multi-point turns—common urban situations in which auto-park and the new auto-‘shift’ are useless.

Is there any tangible functionality that the yoke and stalkless controls have improved? What do you like about the yoke? I want to understand why you would stick with it, given the choice, in spite of your objections.

I have no problem with the yoke itself. I like the looks and open forward feeling and view. I also like the way it drops in my hands, almost in my lap. I also like it because it is different, After 50+ years of driving a wheel the yoke is a nice change that I look forward to every day. For me on screen anything while driving is less than optimal but shifting when necessary is almost effortless. Certainly way better than most cars where you also need to brake before each shift\direction change. I rather like the intuitive auto shift. Mine seems to pick the correct direction 95% of the time.

On the other hand the user interface and ergonomics is lacking. You brought up one of the worst oversights I forgot to mention... that currently you cannot answer the phone from the yoke. This is not a "yoke" problem. I would think this is a simple programming fix as is hopefully the horn. That leaves the turn signals. For me, having them on the yolk is no problem but the position and type of switch is less than optimal. I believe all the other interface functions can be handled by the existing buttons and the right scroll wheel which is only about 50% utilized (leaving room for customization)?

I have no problem with the yoke itself. I like the looks and open forward feeling and view. I also like the way it drops in my hands, almost in my lap. I also like it because it is different, After 50+ years of driving a wheel the yoke is a nice change that I look forward to every day. For me on screen anything while driving is less than optimal but shifting when necessary is almost effortless. Certainly way better than most cars where you also need to brake before each shift\direction change. I rather like the intuitive auto shift. Mine seems to pick the correct direction 95% of the time.

On the other hand the user interface and ergonomics is lacking. You brought up one of the worst oversights I forgot to mention... that currently you cannot answer the phone from the yoke. This is not a "yoke" problem. I would think this is a simple programming fix as is hopefully the horn. That leaves the turn signals. For me, having them on the yolk is no problem but the position and type of switch is less than optimal. I believe all the other interface functions can be handled by the existing buttons and the right scroll wheel which is only about 50% utilized (leaving room for customization)?

The aftermarket flat top steering wheel seems much more practical and still allows the forward visibility. For me the turn signals take up too much mental bandwidth if I'm quickly changing lanes. Not only do I have to worry if they activated, but I have to worry about canceling them. With a stalk there is no learning curve and it just works.

Reactions: TigerNinety and jgs
The aftermarket flat top steering wheel seems much more practical and still allows the forward visibility. For me the turn signals take up too much mental bandwidth if I'm quickly changing lanes. Not only do I have to worry if they activated, but I have to worry about canceling them. With a stalk there is no learning curve and it just works.
They auto cancel. That’s probably one of the best parts of the new S, - I don’t have to think about canceling my turn signals ever. I’m using a Model 3 loaner currently and I really miss the S turn signals (except on roundabouts).

Did my response (#52) address or reduce some of your confusion?

A bit, and thank you for your response. Sadly, the new controls remain a deal breaker for me.

Apparently Ferrari and Lamborghini also utilize turn signals on the wheel. I have had two people tell me they like Tesla's implementation of the yoke turn signal buttons better than the exotics. I say this only in that you adapt to any perceived shortcomings and it becomes a non-issue before you know it. In other words, I would not let the yoke or its user interface stop you from getting a rather magical automobile.

Apparently Ferrari and Lamborghini also utilize turn signals on the wheel. I have had two people tell me they like Tesla's implementation of the yoke turn signal buttons better than the exotics. I say this only in that you adapt to any perceived shortcomings and it becomes a non-issue before you know it. In other words, I would not let the yoke or its user interface stop you from getting a rather magical automobile.
I would never say the yoke and controls on my MS are a “non-issue”.

It always sucks and I just deal with it until something better comes along.

Your average Joe/Jane simply isn’t going to drop $100K+ on an electric vehicle and just get used to it.

I would never say the yoke and controls on my MS are a “non-issue”.

It always sucks and I just deal with it until something better comes along.

Your average Joe/Jane simply isn’t going to drop $100K+ on an electric vehicle and just get used to it.

To me, trying to use the screen while driving in traffic and/or on bumpy roads is an issue far more than anything the yoke does or does not do. So in that regard we agree, I just deal with it until something better comes along.

As to the average Jane/Joe, they probably are not dropping $100,000+. But in any event, one does make some sacrifices buying a Tesla over other similarly priced vehicles but you also gain many other features that are not available anywhere else at this time (yet).