Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Yoke Horn Confirmed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To me, trying to use the screen while driving in traffic and/or on bumpy roads is an issue far more than anything the yoke does or does not do. So in that regard we agree, I just deal with it until something better comes along.

As to the average Jane/Joe, they probably are not dropping $100,000+. But in any event, one does make some sacrifices buying a Tesla over other similarly priced vehicles but you also gain many other features that are not available anywhere else at this time (yet).
Indeed one sacrifices certain luxuries over similarly priced vehicles when buying a Tesla—I made that trade-off happily when I chose a 2015 Model S 85D over ’comparable’ high-end sedans. But pretentiously contrarian, annoying, gimmicky controls with less safety and functionality didn’t need to be a mandatory part of the deal.

I would never say the yoke and controls on my MS are a “non-issue”.

It always sucks and I just deal with it until something better comes along.

Your average Joe/Jane simply isn’t going to drop $100K+ on an electric vehicle and just get used to it.
Refreshing honesty. The gaslighting regarding the new controls is astounding, (and ironic, since we all gave up gas ;-)

It already has the code to support wheel/stalks. Hasn't been tested yet, but their toolbox software has functionality to program the system to allow the inputs from the wheel/stalks automatically. So basically $1,000 for the diagnostics adapter, and 30 day software access to program it from stock. I don't think Tesla will ever offer this service officially unfortunately.

Get a group together to share the tesla account and mail the diagnostics connector and you all have wheels/stalks.

This is referring to this setting, right?
1653206273794.png

Anybody want to try seeing if this setting is sufficient to make a Model S work with Model 3 wheel/stalks? I'll spring for the diagnostics adapter and wheel/stalk hardware; how much is the software access? Does anybody know of any aftermarket companies that might be trying it out? I just ordered a Model S but I'm not exactly looking forward to the yoke/stalkless experience...

Regarding the center horn update, I still couldn't get any confirmation (or even awareness) of it from the Tesla representatives (when trying out the yoke)...Though even if they do know about upcoming updates, I assume they're probably not allowed to talk about them?

View attachment 807312

Anybody want to try seeing if this setting is sufficient to make a Model S work with Model 3 wheel/stalks? I'll spring for the diagnostics adapter and wheel/stalk hardware; how much is the software access? Does anybody know of any aftermarket companies that might be trying it out? I just ordered a Model S but I'm not exactly looking forward to the yoke/stalkless experience...

Regarding the center horn update, I still couldn't get any confirmation (or even awareness) of it from the Tesla representatives (when trying out the yoke)...Though even if they do know about upcoming updates, I assume they're probably not allowed to talk about them?
Yes that's it. Diagnostics connector is like 600$ and a monthly subscription of toolbox is 500$ now.

View attachment 807312

No sales associates know anything about future update contents.

Has anyone heard anything regarding ETA for this feature? Seems pretty important and I can’t imagine it’s particularly challenging to incorporate into an update.
IMO, after all this time has passed, it was just Elon talking out of his ass (again).

It’ll happen the same time the Performance Model Y gets track mode.

Has anyone heard anything regarding ETA for this feature? Seems pretty important and I can’t imagine it’s particularly challenging to incorporate into an update.
I was at a supercharger a few days ago and met a guy there who claimed to be a Tesla employee. He asked me how I liked the yoke and we got to talking about the horn. He said he thought the center horn feature was enabled in the latest (or next) FSD beta firmware (which maybe isn't the same firmware that's available to non-FSD cars?). If true, we should be hearing about it pretty soon. But count me skeptical for now.

I was at a supercharger a few days ago and met a guy there who claimed to be a Tesla employee. He asked me how I liked the yoke and we got to talking about the horn. He said he thought the center horn feature was enabled in the latest (or next) FSD beta firmware (which maybe isn't the same firmware that's available to non-FSD cars?). If true, we should be hearing about it pretty soon. But count me skeptical for now.
Total BS. A safety item, like the horn, has absolutely nothing to do with FSD.

And if Tesla needs beta testers for a horn…they have bigger problems than I thought.

• Disagree
Reactions: mscott and WilliamG
Total BS. A safety item, like the horn, has absolutely nothing to do with FSD.

And if Tesla needs beta testers for a horn…they have bigger problems than I thought.
It wasn't that it needed testing or had anything to do with FSD, it was that the feature was finally implemented in the firmware train that is going out to FSD testers. (I gather those who are in the FSD beta are getting a different firmware release train than those who are not testing FSD.)

My guess is that he was referring the just-released 2022.20 build train, although the release notes there do not mention it.

It wasn't that it needed testing or had anything to do with FSD, it was that the feature was finally implemented in the firmware train that is going out to FSD testers. (I gather those who are in the FSD beta are getting a different firmware release train than those who are not testing FSD.)

My guess is that he was referring the just-released 2022.20 build train, although the release notes there do not mention it.
Still makes no sense. Again, it would not be tied to FSD, an FSD train, code stream or whatever you want to call it. Utter nonsense from a Tesla employee.

• Disagree
Reactions: mscott
Still makes no sense. Again, it would not be tied to FSD, an FSD train, code stream or whatever you want to call it. Utter nonsense from a Tesla employee.
The point he was making was that the feature is in an upcoming release and that FSD beta participants receive new releases before non-beta participants. This makes perfect sense if you have any familiarity with how software is often developed and deployed. I am not vouching for the employee's knowledge, veracity, or even legitimacy—I was just passing along what I'd heard. We will know shortly if the information this guy was sharing is valid or not. I wouldn't rule out it being "utter nonsense" but not at all for the reasons you state.

I have 2022.20 and can confirm that yoke horn is not enabled.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
The point he was making was that the feature is in an upcoming release and that FSD beta participants receive new releases before non-beta participants. This makes perfect sense if you have any familiarity with how software is often developed and deployed. I am not vouching for the employee's knowledge, veracity, or even legitimacy—I was just passing along what I'd heard. We will know shortly if the information this guy was sharing is valid or not. I wouldn't rule out it being "utter nonsense" but not at all for the reasons you state.
::Sigh:: that information is also not correct.

And as you’ll note, the post above has confirmed the horn is not present in the latest release (FSD beta or not). So yeah…it was utter nonsense.

If the yoke physically has the components to allow the center section to activate the horn, how long would it take the software engineers to create an update? I can't imagine the code being complex or requiring more than a few hours to write and implement.
Not being a software engineer, I look forward to someone with expertise to correct my assumption.

Reactions: zoomer0056
If the yoke physically has the components to allow the center section to activate the horn, how long would it take the software engineers to create an update? I can't imagine the code being complex or requiring more than a few hours to write and implement.
Not being a software engineer, I look forward to someone with expertise to correct my assumption.
HORN = ON

They don’t have the hardware. Elon was lying. Again.