Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Yoke Horn Confirmed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whether something not explicitly designed to work as a switch can reliably be used to function as one has little to with the concept of truth. Seems Elon jumped the gun on a possibility that doesn’t actually work

May be Elon was not lying. May be he is ignorant about his products. May be the thought he was talking about Space-X yoke. LOL.
Once again, another near miss. A woman went into a right turn lane and decided to change her mind and pulled back . I had to move to the lane left of mine while trying to honk her. Instead, I turned on the wiper, again! Luckily there was no car to my left. Stupid design.

I’m genuinely confused by this. The yoke ruined turn signal & horn implementation to which you rightly object (as do I). Speed-sensitive steering ratios are not possible with a mechanical steering rack, so that’s not coming any time soon. Drive by wire would be more expensive, troublesome, and complex than it’s worth—it also would totally eliminate road feel and possibly kill you when it fails.

Packing all possible controls onto the yoke eliminated functions that were useful on the older cars—e.g.: the ability to answer or dismiss phone calls and texts from the wheel buttons, customizable thumb wheels, etc. On-screen shifting is incredibly annoying during tight parking and multi-point turns—common urban situations in which auto-park and the new auto-‘shift’ are useless.

Is there any tangible functionality that the yoke and stalkless controls have improved? What do you like about the yoke? I want to understand why you would stick with it, given the choice, in spite of your objections.
I love the yoke.

I love:
The comfort of it.
It makes driving more fun and different.
The turn signals and FSD activation (yes, the turn signals are a huge upgrade IMO)
The visibility it provides
The questions/conversations it generates

I hate:
The horn...just terrible
The lack of answering calls (not on any Tesla I've owned)

While not directly related to the yoke, I love the auto-shift and it's only put me in the incorrect gear once. I also really like the screen shifter and find it better than the stalk, which on my MY doesn't always hit reverse on my first try and just gets in the way.

I understand why some wouldn't like it, but it's in the top 5 of features of I like more about my S over my MY.

If they changed the horn, it would be nearly a perfect wheel for me, but I cannot get over the horn placement and I've had maybe 20 situations where I smacked the middle for nothing.

Once again, another near miss. A woman went into a right turn lane and decided to change her mind and pulled back . I had to move to the lane left of mine while trying to honk her. Instead, I turned on the wiper, again! Luckily there was no car to my left. Stupid design.
I won’t dismiss that a center horn is better…. but were brakes an option?

I love the yoke.

I love:
The comfort of it.
It makes driving more fun and different.
The turn signals and FSD activation (yes, the turn signals are a huge upgrade IMO)
The visibility it provides
The questions/conversations it generates

I hate:
The horn...just terrible
The lack of answering calls (not on any Tesla I've owned)

While not directly related to the yoke, I love the auto-shift and it's only put me in the incorrect gear once. I also really like the screen shifter and find it better than the stalk, which on my MY doesn't always hit reverse on my first try and just gets in the way.

I understand why some wouldn't like it, but it's in the top 5 of features of I like more about my S over my MY.

If they changed the horn, it would be nearly a perfect wheel for me, but I cannot get over the horn placement and I've had maybe 20 situations where I smacked the middle for nothing.
Not being able to answer calls from the yoke is beyond ludicrous. Literally let us use the yoke button for MICROPHONE to answer calls rather than being DISTRACTED by hitting the on-screen button.

Honestly a year ago I gave Tesla a small pass for this (though it was still ridiculous then). Over a year later, though…? Come on…

Not being able to answer calls from the yoke is beyond ludicrous. Literally let us use the yoke button for MICROPHONE to answer calls rather than being DISTRACTED by hitting the on-screen button.

Honestly a year ago I gave Tesla a small pass for this (though it was still ridiculous then). Over a year later, though…? Come on…
It would be so easy to implement.

I won’t dismiss that a center horn is better…. but were brakes an option?
Human cognitive response after using center horn for decades is to hit the center. That's the problem. Brake is also applied but if you cannot stop the person from continue to move to your path, braking might not prevent the bang. Another quirky design that bugs me when moving better an Model 3 and MS is the Model 3 shift stick when flipped up, it is reverse. For MS, flipping finger up is forward. Whatever logic it is, I wish Tesla could standardize the control direction.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Human cognitive response after using center horn for decades is to hit the center. That's the problem. Brake is also applied but if you cannot stop the person from continue to move to your path, braking might not prevent the bang. Another quirky design that bugs me when moving better an Model 3 and MS is the Model 3 shift stick when flipped up, it is reverse. For MS, flipping finger up is forward. Whatever logic it is, I wish Tesla could standardize the control direction.
I in no way disagreed that center horn is preferred, I thought I was clear about that.

I was speaking only of your most recent close call. Often a driver is outraged by the action another car is taking and is more concerned about letting them know they are wrong than to simply avoid the accident. In most cases an errant driver telegraphs their possible movement. Change in speed, lane position, head position of other drivers on the road give plenty of clues about what might happen in the near future.

It would be so easy to implement.

I in no way disagreed that center horn is preferred, I thought I was clear about that.

I was speaking only of your most recent close call. Often a driver is outraged by the action another car is taking and is more concerned about letting them know they are wrong than to simply avoid the accident. In most cases an errant driver telegraphs their possible movement. Change in speed, lane position, head position of other drivers on the road give plenty of clues about what might happen in the near future.
That was not my intend to tell someone is wrong. The horn is created as an alert to another vehicle that their action might cause an accident such as someone backs out of a parking without checking oncoming traffic, making lane change without paying attention etc. Unfortunately the horn is being used by someone as you described as a tool to scream or yell at others on the road.

Just over a week with my new car. I've been aware of the horn issue, but I always thought that if I ever needed to access the horn quickly in an emergency, I would be able to remember and find the button.

Turns out that's not humans work. Just had somebody make an abrupt and quick left turn into my lane without looking at the oncoming traffic (that I happened to be leading). Trying to slow down a bit (but not enough to cause a pile up into me), I instinctively put pressure onto the airbag to honk and let him know to watch out for us, and--let me know if you saw this coming--nothing happened!

It's amazing how much can go through your mind in an instant. All once, I had the following thoughts:
  • My 10-day old car is going to have dents in the front and/or back
  • Why is the horn so quiet?
  • That's a nice soft airbag pad
  • Where is that @#$%^@ horn?!
  • Oh yeah, the horn is in some asinine place...
  • RAGE (not sure if that's exactly a thought, but instantly seeing red remembering about the stupid design biting me in the @$$ might be)
  • I think the horn button is on the right of the steering wheel. I hope I can find it before this guy pulls right out into traffic
  • I just activated something
  • Why did my windshield wipers just turn on?
  • I'm gonna have to post about this on that one horn TMC thread when I get home
  • Elon and Franz are @#$^%&# IDIOTS.
Just curious....for other people who have had their cars longer: how many near misses or actual accidents does it take for you to be able to instinctively find/use the horn properly?

And completely unrelated, but....how many complaints does the NHTSA need to get about an issue before they investigate and--possibly--make an automaker fix a less-than-genius design?

And thanks for letting me vent.

Last edited:
Just over a week with my new car. I've been aware of the horn issue, but I always thought that if I ever needed to access the horn quickly in an emergency, I would be able to remember and find the button.

Turns out that's not humans work. Just had somebody make an abrupt and quick left turn into my lane without looking at the oncoming traffic (that I happened to be leading). Trying to slow down a bit (but not enough to cause a pile up into me), I instinctively put pressure onto the airbag to honk and let him know to watch out for us, and--let me know if you saw this coming--nothing happened!

It's amazing how much can go through your mind in an instant. All once, I had the following thoughts:
  • RAGE (not sure if that's exactly a thought, but instantly seeing red remembering about the stupid design biting me in the @$$ might be)
  • I think the horn button is on the right of the steering wheel. I hope I can find it before this guy pulls right out into traffic
Just curious....for other people who have had their cars longer: how many near misses or actual accidents does it take for you to be able to instinctively find/use the horn properly?

And completely unrelated, but....how many complaints does the NHTSA need to get about an issue before they investigate and--possibly--make an automaker fix a less-than-genius design?

My count is at least 5 since I took delivery in February. 5 lucky incidents that there were no physical contacts. 5 unintended windshield wiper turn on. If you only have one car, i.e. the one with the yolk, maybe, just maybe eventually you will unlearn hitting the center airbag and change your instinct to hit the horn button. For me, I also have a Model 3 which I move between it and my MS. That makes the unlearning impossible.

I live in the city. I have frequent close-calls.

I wind up hitting the horn probably 5 seconds after I actually need it. F’ing stupid design.

I’ve also had 2 encounters where I needed the horn in 2 days of owning the car. And both times all I got to do is feel how soft the leather of the airbag cover is. No sound.

So Tesla has enough resources to program an AROOOGA horn sound, but not enough to enable the center button that’s supposedly already been incorporated into our vehicles since last year? Needless to say, and I know I’m preaching to the choir here, but that’s quite frustrating :(

I’ve also had 2 encounters where I needed the horn in 2 days of owning the car. And both times all I got to do is feel how soft the leather of the airbag cover is. No sound.

So Tesla has enough resources to program an AROOOGA horn sound, but not enough to enable the center button that’s supposedly already been incorporated into our vehicles since last year? Needless to say, and I know I’m preaching to the choir here, but that’s quite frustrating :(
The mechanism or circuit operation principle has never been detailed, its a mystery. I do wonder if Elon was thinking of something completely different when he stated that and that there is no airbag horn contingency.

Here is what inspired Elon about the yoke. Unfortunately he forgot the middle part is the horn button.
1657492653348.png

The mechanism or circuit operation principle has never been detailed, its a mystery. I do wonder if Elon was thinking of something completely different when he stated that and that there is no airbag horn contingency.
It’s been more than seven months—more than fourth months since his tweet. Imagine telling your wife you totally did something important seven months ago but you still haven’t done it? Elon Musk does, says, and tweets incredibly stupid *sugar* pretty much continuously; he probably just lied about the center horn.

• Funny
Reactions: lbowroom
It’s been more than seven months—more than fourth months since his tweet. Imagine telling your wife you totally did something important seven months ago but you still haven’t done it? Elon Musk does, says, and tweets incredibly stupid *sugar* pretty much continuously; he probably just lied about the center horn.
I think he was just confused or not listening carefully about the question. Out right lying is stupid and he is too smart a person to be this stupid.

How about we all pitch in and pay for billboard ads along the 101 or somewhere to remind Elon of all the *sugar* he’s promised, starting with the yoke center horn? Bet it would get his attention!
That's not a bad idea but I'm surprised with all the horsepower on TMC someone here does not have a fairly direct connection to the man. Perhaps they could tease out some kind of response on the horn issue from him or at least relay the true status?