Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Yoke Horn Confirmed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll be honest--I was worried coming to this place because I thought all the members would be "Elon can do no wrong". I'm glad that didn't turn out to be the case (for the most part).

I'm not gonna say anything about Elon lying or being stupid. In fact, I heard his IQ was 160...

...probably just like my Tesla has a top speed of 200 (but not really), can go 0-60 in under 2 seconds (but not really), can go 396 miles on a charge (but not really), has a stalkless steering yoke which makes the car "the best car to drive" (but REALLY not really), etc. etc. I think it's called Tesla math?

But back on topic....I continue having a hard time driving this car around when I'm afraid people are going to drive into my lane on me (especially in a car this quiet). I know it takes at least a few extra seconds to find the horn in an emergency, and that's a HUGE time delay when you need to warn somebody quickly.

I'll be honest--I was worried coming to this place because I thought all the members would be "Elon can do no wrong". I'm glad that didn't turn out to be the case (for the most part).

I'm not gonna say anything about Elon lying or being stupid. In fact, I heard his IQ was 160...

...probably just like my Tesla has a top speed of 200 (but not really), can go 0-60 in under 2 seconds (but not really), can go 396 miles on a charge (but not really), has a stalkless steering yoke which makes the car "the best car to drive" (but REALLY not really), etc. etc. I think it's called Tesla math?

But back on topic....I continue having a hard time driving this car around when I'm afraid people are going to drive into my lane on me (especially in a car this quiet). I know it takes at least a few extra seconds to find the horn in an emergency, and that's a HUGE time delay when you need to warn somebody quickly.
I don’t love the horn placement.

However, I don’t think it’s perceptibly quieter to the car next to you on the highway. Generally best to stagger and not drive alongside others if possible. If you’re really super concerned I guess you could practice driving with your thumb on the horn button.

In most cases those precious seconds are better spent avoiding a collision than informing the other driver they are in your path.

I don’t love the horn placement.

However, I don’t think it’s perceptibly quieter to the car next to you on the highway. Generally best to stagger and not drive alongside others if possible. If you’re really super concerned I guess you could practice driving with your thumb on the horn button.

In most cases those precious seconds are better spent avoiding a collision than informing the other driver they are in your path.
It's quieter than my other cars. :)

I actually don’t worry that much when I’m next to somebody—they can usually see me if I’m right next to them (not that I stay next to them or even in their blindspots). It’s when I’m passing a slower moving or stopped lane and somebody tries to dart out (or I can tell somebody is making the head movements that they’re going to switch lanes) that causes the anxiety.

When potential collisions happen in cases like this, I try to avoid the collision ahead while also trying to not slow down so fast as to cause me to be rear ended...and honk the horn, which is why it's nice to be able to honk the horn without thinking so I can spend my brain cycles on the former two actions (which I guess is the point I'm trying to make).

Reactions: Mark II
It's quieter than my other cars. :)

I actually don’t worry that much when I’m next to somebody—they can usually see me if I’m right next to them (not that I stay next to them or even in their blindspots). It’s when I’m passing a slower moving or stopped lane and somebody tries to dart out (or I can tell somebody is making the head movements that they’re going to switch lanes) that causes the anxiety.

When potential collisions happen in cases like this, I try to avoid the collision ahead while also trying to not slow down so fast as to cause me to be rear ended...and honk the horn, which is why it's nice to be able to honk the horn without thinking so I can spend my brain cycles on the former two actions (which I guess is the point I'm trying to make).
I’ve never given that scenario a second thought, more power to you

Last edited:
New here?
76B5B31E-50FA-4E82-A325-9DC206808F47.jpeg

Perhaps Tesla can easily retrofit a version of a S3XY button in or underneath the airbag module. I was not aware of this aftermarket device and it's extensive programmability finding them useful for those who prefer physical buttons for important functions rather than the touchscreen etc

• Love
Reactions: Murtaya
Those buttons are pretty cool! I might try seeing if your idea of putting one under the airbag module works?

(I also wouldn't mind if they could be used to instantly toggle Plaid/Chill/Comfort/Sport modes so I wouldn't have to navigate through the screen--very cool)

Those buttons are pretty cool! I might try seeing if your idea of putting one under the airbag module works?

(I also wouldn't mind if they could be used to instantly toggle Plaid/Chill/Comfort/Sport modes so I wouldn't have to navigate through the screen--very cool)
Without significant modification I do not believe the button would work underneath the airbag module. Since it's the airbag I wouldn't mess with it.

Instantly toggling the driving modes basically can be done already with your foot. Leave it in plaid and adjust your foot as necessary.. In my mind, more important and difficult is to switch between suspension settings while driving in traffic or at speed. Hopefully the buttons will have the capability soon but apparently do not have it to date.

I believe track mode can be entered with the button, which is nice, but aat this point, you still need to be in park to activate.

Last edited: