Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S100d

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just upgraded from an 85D -and started charging my new car and was staggered to see this: See image of range of 380 miles charged to about 91%. Now I will not have a chance to put this to the Test or try and repeat this normal for several days at least -so I am just so curious. I stopped charging because I started to get nervous.
Tinting309.JPG

Our S 100D is seeing 305-309 miles of rated range at 90%. We haven't needed to charge to 100% yet - others have reported 344 miles of rated range @ 100%.

Compared to our S P85, not only do we get additional range (at 90%, 80 miles more rated range than our 4+ year old P85), the S 100D (likely due to the dual motor) also uses less energy per mile.

With our S P85, the on-board Trip Planner was consistently too optimistic on how much charge we'd need before leaving a charger, causing us to frequently slow down (well) below posted speeds to stretch the charge far enough to reach the next charger. With our S 100D, the Trip Planner is pretty accurate, and, if anything, too conservative in determining how much charge is needed at each charger (we've been leaving the chargers earlier than recommended, and still easily make the next charger without having to slow down).

Our S 100D is seeing 305-309 miles of rated range at 90%. We haven't needed to charge to 100% yet - others have reported 344 miles of rated range @ 100%.

Compared to our S P85, not only do we get additional range (at 90%, 80 miles more rated range than our 4+ year old P85), the S 100D (likely due to the dual motor) also uses less energy per mile.

With our S P85, the on-board Trip Planner was consistently too optimistic on how much charge we'd need before leaving a charger, causing us to frequently slow down (well) below posted speeds to stretch the charge far enough to reach the next charger. With our S 100D, the Trip Planner is pretty accurate, and, if anything, too conservative in determining how much charge is needed at each charger (we've been leaving the chargers earlier than recommended, and still easily make the next charger without having to slow down).

Completely agree on how the rated range and trip planner are more accurate, if not too conservative, on the refresh builds. In my P85, I would always have to budget in an extra 25% to reach my destination, if not more. My new 100D is much more accurate on the trip planner and is more efficient at highway speeds.