Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S70 2016 Lane keeping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone!

I recently purchased a 2nd hand Model S70 2016 (facelift) and i am loving the experience though i cannot seem to make the "lane keep" function to work.
i'm from EU so bear with my bad english please :D

my spec's:
Autopilot with comfort functions
Hardware for autopilot
RWD
70 upgrade to 75

what works:
Adaptive cruise controle
visual highway road markings and detecting/displaying other vehicles near me

What i want to do: make my model S do adaptive cruise controle AND stay in the current lane
This has not worked yet

I have not seen a grey/white steering wheel icon that should be an indicator to enable the lane keep and or autopilot
i already called a tesla store near me but i dont think he understood my problem and he told me to make an appointment in a tesla shop.

I just dont want to make a newbie mistake so does anyone have an idea what i'm doing wrong or if my car doesnt have this option or what ever ? :D

thanks for your time and hopefully someone can help me out !

Greetings from a new tesla owner !

Congratulations, are you sure the car has Autosteering enabled? You have listed that the car has the hardware but is this function activated (i.e. purchased) by Tesla? If you have not seen the “grey steering wheel” icon then there are two possibilities: 1) the roads you drive at have poorly marked/painted road lines or roads are covered by snow/ice and the system can’t follow them or 2)the Autosteering function is not enabled.

• Informative
Reactions: ayavner and QUBO
Congratulations, are you sure the car has Autosteering enabled? You have listed that the car has the hardware but is this function activated (i.e. purchased) by Tesla? If you have not seen the “grey steering wheel” icon then there are two possibilities: 1) the roads you drive at have poorly marked/painted road lines or roads are covered by snow/ice and the system can’t follow them or 2)the Autosteering function is not enabled.
it seems like i do not have this "autosteering enabled" option, but that would make lane keeping a "enhanced autopilot" option ?
I also cannot purchase any options when i login on the tesla site (neither on my pc or my app on smartphone)
i guess i'l have to go to a tesla shop

Thanks for the reply

Just to check the obvious - when you try to engage auto-steering, are you pulling the stalk toward you quickly twice? Think of it like double-clicking a mouse. I think 1 pull is just basic cruise control with traffic awareness and 2 pulls is for lane keeping. Sorry if you've already checked that. Congrats on the new purchase, I just got mine a few weeks ago!

Just to check the obvious - when you try to engage auto-steering, are you pulling the stalk toward you quickly twice? Think of it like double-clicking a mouse. I think 1 pull is just basic cruise control with traffic awareness and 2 pulls is for lane keeping. Sorry if you've already checked that. Congrats on the new purchase, I just got mine a few weeks ago!
indeed like doubleclicking a mouse, but i'm going to try again when my wife gets home with the car, and thank you ! hope you enjoy your new car as much as i do :D

Reactions: ayavner
indeed like doubleclicking a mouse, but i'm going to try again when my wife gets home with the car, and thank you ! hope you enjoy your new car as much as i do :D
Go to the Autopilot menu and see which AP features are available and turned on / off (is Autosteer on?). Also, check Software-Other vehicle details to see which hardware you have, etc. and post pictures if your not sure.

what works:
Adaptive cruise controle
visual highway road markings and detecting/displaying other vehicles near me
If you are seeing the lane markings show up on the instrument panel display, then this would rule out that you are not on a suitable road and the car is not seeing the lane markings.

This would suggest that either:
- autopilot functionality was not purchased by the original owner, or
- you do not have lane keeping enabled.

As others have indicated, open up Controls and then go to the Autopilot screen. You should find Autosteer (Beta) listed. If it is switched off, simple slide the toggle slider button next to it to the right to turn it on. If this is grayed out or not listed, then that suggests the option was not purchased for your car.

it does seem like i do not have this option in my car eventhough it sounds like it should be possible since i think i have the required hardware.
autopilot options do not show a autosteer option on my car.

My car manifacutring date is mid 2016 so this might be the reason:
Tesla has announced that a new lane-keeping driver-assistance feature will be rolled out to owners of Model 3, Model S, and Model X vehicles built after October 2016. The system will now also be standard on all new Tesla models.

i might reach out to tesla to see if i can somehow get this upgrade, and i still find it strange that there seems to be no way to get enhanced autopilot.

thanks everyone for the responses ! cheers !

My car manifacutring date is mid 2016 so this might be the reason:
Tesla has announced that a new lane-keeping driver-assistance feature will be rolled out to owners of Model 3, Model S, and Model X vehicles built after October 2016. The system will now also be standard on all new Tesla models.
The quote you have is in reference to the introduction of what at that time was the new AP2, 8 camera autopilot/FSD hardware.

My MD90D is a mid-June 2016 build, so similar in hardware to what your car is with the single forward facing "Mobile Eye" system referred to as AP1. I did purchase the autopilot features group with my car which gave me in addition to TACC, autosteer / lane keeping and basic summons functionality. The description is same as yours, autopilot with comfort functions.

You have not indicated what region of the EU you are in. I'm in the US so cannot speak to whether the specific area you are in has some limitations where they did not approve the enabling of the automatic lane keeper/autosteer functionality. Have you looked for any form of a local owners group in your area? This would likely be your best source of getting knowledgable input from others for similar vintage/configured vehicles.

I still believe OP has assumptions that the car has it enabled. It would be good to ask the seller did they purchase it from Tesla? If you can toggle this button (Autosteer on the photo) then you have all fine and start enjoying your rides. Remember, you need to engage it on the drive by double-pull off the stalk on the steering wheel
C2A543DE-3D71-4371-9C19-4BF71EEADE0E.jpeg

IMG_20220112_113234.jpg
IMG_20220112_113123.jpg
IMG_20220112_113427.jpg

IMG_20220112_114416.jpg
IMG_20220112_113908.jpg

update: the foto's above speak for themself ofcourse, so i have a camera in the front, i do not have the option to enable autosteer in my autopilot menu, i also do not have a button to press on my cruise controle lever, and i do not have camera's on the side of the car.

i think i'm going to schedule an appointment in my nearest tesla shop to see what my options are :)

thanks again for the many and swift responses ! i also made a topic in the dutch forum (im living in belgium but the car was originally from germany, thats where the previous owners bought it) Model S70 2016 Adaptive cruise controle with lane keeping

The quote you have is in reference to the introduction of what at that time was the new AP2, 8 camera autopilot/FSD hardware.

My MD90D is a mid-June 2016 build, so similar in hardware to what your car is with the single forward facing "Mobile Eye" system referred to as AP1. I did purchase the autopilot features group with my car which gave me in addition to TACC, autosteer / lane keeping and basic summons functionality. The description is same as yours, autopilot with comfort functions.

You have not indicated what region of the EU you are in. I'm in the US so cannot speak to whether the specific area you are in has some limitations where they did not approve the enabling of the automatic lane keeper/autosteer functionality. Have you looked for any form of a local owners group in your area? This would likely be your best source of getting knowledgable input from others for similar vintage/configured vehicles.
do you have a push button on your cruise controle lever ? because i do not, region = belgium but i didnt find any limitations appart from possible FSD ones.
i have also not managed to make adaptive cruisecontrole work, i'm going to play with this today on my way to work.
i made a topic on the dutch forum for this matter but nothing came up yet !, i'm awaiting replies for my posted pic's

Thanks for responding, means a lot !

do you have a push button on your cruise controle lever ? because i do not, region = belgium but i didnt find any limitations appart from possible FSD ones.
i have also not managed to make adaptive cruisecontrole work, i'm going to play with this today on my way to work.
i made a topic on the dutch forum for this matter but nothing came up yet !, i'm awaiting replies for my posted pic's

Thanks for responding, means a lot !
There is no button on the cruise control level. You active traffic aware cruise by pulling the cruise control level towards you once. Pull it twice in quick succession to set the autosteer.

There is a twist knob on the end of the cruise control lever. You use that to set the following distance between 1 and 7.

Reactions: KalJoMoS
Everything is already said by @PCMc, there is nothing wrong with you region, I purchased my car also from Belgium. Your speedometer should look like this, if the Autosteer is available:
D23DE32E-A8AB-4F48-92F7-E6C83AC62876.jpeg

And here is my Software menu, as soon as it’s activated, the description will appear like this:
2ABA6820-C23A-432C-99E2-A4BADE52D43B.jpeg

update: the foto's above speak for themself ofcourse, so i have a camera in the front, i do not have the option to enable autosteer in my autopilot menu, i also do not have a button to press on my cruise controle lever, and i do not have camera's on the side of the car.

i think i'm going to schedule an appointment in my nearest tesla shop to see what my options are :)

thanks again for the many and swift responses ! i also made a topic in the dutch forum (im living in belgium but the car was originally from germany, thats where the previous owners bought it) Model S70 2016 Adaptive cruise controle with lane keeping
Your configuration and photos show you have the AP1 hardware, but NO Autopilot enabled.
You will only have Traffic Aware Cruisecontrol, but NO Autosteer or Lane Keeping.
You can ask Tesla for the Autopilot upgrade, but they may no longer sell that option.

Your configuration and photos show you have the AP1 hardware, but NO Autopilot enabled.
You will only have Traffic Aware Cruisecontrol, but NO Autosteer or Lane Keeping.
You can ask Tesla for the Autopilot upgrade, but they may no longer sell that option.
yeah but then why do they label it as "autopilot with comfort functions" on their website ? i also do not have the option to upgrade but this is all still confusing to me, so far i didnt even get the traffic aware cruisecontrole to work wich i thought it would work.... sigh

Everything is already said by @PCMc, there is nothing wrong with you region, I purchased my car also from Belgium. Your speedometer should look like this, if the Autosteer is available:
View attachment 754990
And here is my Software menu, as soon as it’s activated, the description will appear like this:
View attachment 754991
sadly as you can see on the latest pic's i posted this "highway autopilot" is not unlocked on my car :p i cant even get adaptive cruise controle to work, i'm gonna go see a tesla shop when i can to see whats up, thanks for the reply !

If I recall correctly, if autopilot is not enabled, then you actually have a basic cruise control, not traffic aware cruise control.
I might be mistaken, but that's that I seem to recall.