TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S70 - why dont Tesla do this?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by thegruf, Jun 30, 2015.

1. thegruf

thegruf Member

Picking up from a different thread where clearly not all owners want the power and are comparing the S70D with a BMW 520d.

So why don't Tesla do an S70 with single RWD motor and knock a further $5K off the price?
    Still be quick enough for your mom ;)

2. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

My guess would be range efficiency from having the dual motors. Otherwise it's not much better than a S60 which Tesla didn't sell nearly as many of from my understanding. The S70D is the best value among the lineup today and a S70 just doesn't seem like an idea worth pursuing.

Jeff

3. Dwdnjck

Dwdnjck Member

I wouldn't expect the 85S to be built much longer. I doubt a 2WD W will be offered

4. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

It's more about preserving the resale value of the S60 along with preserving the price points between all models for the same reason. And to some extent, decreasing the chassis configurations needed on the supply line. As more S85 buyers bleed over to 85D/70D, the S85 will be the next to go.

Oh, and preserving price points is also code for improving/preserving margins/volume, which of course means making more money, which is the responsibility to shareholders that a publicly traded company has.

5. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

I think they're really trying to optimize production, and minimize differences.

I'll be really surprised if the rear wheel drive 85 to be made much longer.

6. Phil K

Phil K Member

Agree that they are phasing out RWD.

7. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

They had two reasons to replace the S60: low demand; Model X ran They use the P85D rear motor, they use the 85kWh battery. The time tocdrop it would be a major update that would require lots of regulatory testing.

8. steph280

steph280 Member

I think RWD/FWD will be exclusive to the model 3's once they come out for obvious cost saving reasons. I agree Model S will be AWD only in the near future.

9. Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle Active Member

i see your point of view. i personally do not need passenger or rear seats. why should i have to buy them, seem like a waste of money.

10. DoubleDownOn9

DoubleDownOn9 Member

AWD always helps resale value and most importantly, safety. They are a let less likely to break traction. I had a WRX with close to 300hp at the wheels and don't recall ever breaking traction (by accident). Generally speaking (which means I'm probably wrong), if you are dropping $85k for a car arguing about the last $5k is kind of a wash.

11. smilepak

smilepak Member

I see the model S eventually discontinued single motor design and have dual motor being standard.

The he single motor can then be brought down to Model 3 for price efficiency

12. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Single motor is not "discontinued" on the S, it is currently available with the 85 battery. At this time there are 4 drivetrain versions of the S:
    70D
    85D
    P85D

No one outside of Tesla knows if at some point in the future the S will only be available with dual motors. Maybe, maybe not.