Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S70 - why dont Tesla do this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picking up from a different thread where clearly not all owners want the power and are comparing the S70D with a BMW 520d.

So why don't Tesla do an S70 with single RWD motor and knock a further $5K off the price?
Still be quick enough for your mom ;)

My guess would be range efficiency from having the dual motors. Otherwise it's not much better than a S60 which Tesla didn't sell nearly as many of from my understanding. The S70D is the best value among the lineup today and a S70 just doesn't seem like an idea worth pursuing.

Jeff

My guess would be range efficiency from having the dual motors. Otherwise it's not much better than a S60 which Tesla didn't sell nearly as many of from my understanding. The S70D is the best value among the lineup today and a S70 just doesn't seem like an idea worth pursuing.

Jeff

It's more about preserving the resale value of the S60 along with preserving the price points between all models for the same reason. And to some extent, decreasing the chassis configurations needed on the supply line. As more S85 buyers bleed over to 85D/70D, the S85 will be the next to go.

Oh, and preserving price points is also code for improving/preserving margins/volume, which of course means making more money, which is the responsibility to shareholders that a publicly traded company has.

Picking up from a different thread where clearly not all owners want the power and are comparing the S70D with a BMW 520d.

So why don't Tesla do an S70 with single RWD motor and knock a further $5K off the price?
Still be quick enough for your mom ;)
i see your point of view. i personally do not need passenger or rear seats. why should i have to buy them, seem like a waste of money.

AWD always helps resale value and most importantly, safety. They are a let less likely to break traction. I had a WRX with close to 300hp at the wheels and don't recall ever breaking traction (by accident). Generally speaking (which means I'm probably wrong), if you are dropping $85k for a car arguing about the last $5k is kind of a wash.

I see the model S eventually discontinued single motor design and have dual motor being standard.
Single motor is not "discontinued" on the S, it is currently available with the 85 battery. At this time there are 4 drivetrain versions of the S:
70D
85D
P85D

No one outside of Tesla knows if at some point in the future the S will only be available with dual motors. Maybe, maybe not.