Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S85D slow at supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like Tesla may have known about the issue. If this is true I’m going to be pissed.

NHTSA reviews claims Tesla should have recalled 2,000 cars

I saw that article too and led me to this thread to discuss. It seems like doing a software update to limit the battery cell capacity, lower the Supercharging speed, and alter the BMS was the safe immediate thing to do, but if they knew exactly which battery packs were potentially defective/flawed in design/compromised they should have recalled those specific vehicles to swap the battery packs and confirm the issue with further isolated testing on those 2,000 battery packs.

Some have speculated that Tesla slowed the charging and limited the capacity to avoid future battery warranty claims. We have no idea unless there are some internal memos that get out in the open.

The main reason I've been charging at lunch at the mall is it's free. I can grab lunch at the mall while I charge for 45 minutes. It's convenient to my new office location. I do this to reduce charging at home, which costs money. I dont have solar panels. I have noticed that the last few times I've gone to this same supercharging station, my charge rates have been VERY slow, as low as 30 miles/hr. This caused me to look online and now I'm reading about potentially throttling or reduced speeds.
Sounds like you and bunch of your closest friends are thinking the same way.

Slow down charging curve for large group of batteries for what reasons:
1) Safer car - less fires - less negative publicity
2) Deters excessive use of superchargers
3) Extends the life of battery and avoids warranty issues
4) Not so gently encourages owners with "old" battery technology to upgrade to a newer model thereby increasing sales. (Somebody got a promotion for that one!)

Simple: It's a well thought out business decision, similar to battery issues which plague most phones. "I'm trading in my Galaxy S7 today for an S 10 because the damn thing is slow as a "FORD Pinto on vacation" and relatively useless unless attached to a charger." It discharges at light speed. Dragy times: 95 to 0 in 1:35

So the pain will be alleviated when everyone trades up to the the 1,000,000 mile battery. In the mean time, the slow trickle charger at home seems to be the answer.

It ain't right, but it's real!

4) Not so gently encourages owners with "old" battery technology to upgrade to a newer model thereby increasing sales. (Somebody got a promotion for that one!)

Simple: It's a well thought out business decision, similar to battery issues which plague most phones. "I'm trading in my Galaxy S7 today for an S 10 because the damn thing is slow as a "FORD Pinto on vacation" and relatively useless unless attached to a charger." It discharges at light speed. Dragy times: 95 to 0 in 1:35

So the pain will be alleviated when everyone trades up to the the 1,000,000 mile battery. In the mean time, the slow trickle charger at home seems to be the answer.

Not sure about #2 on your list. Making those who have no choice and must use a Supercharger tie up the charger for a longer period isn't going to help crowding much.

I thought these cars were supposed to be able to travel the country on the supercharger network with only a minor inconvenience compared to fueling up with gasoline.

Road tripping in these older cars is now entirely impractical. My last trip from MA to NYC was 7+ hours with no traffic because of slow supercharging.

Imagine a trip from NY to CA? How many hours/days would that add to a trip?

Reactions: tls
This also practically kills the roadtrip-ability of these.
Exactly. I'm heading out this week for 1500 mile road trip and now I am not looking forward to it at all. Have to travel with my old cat and I really wanted to get there ASAP but this will slow us down considerably. Now I'm wondering if I should cancel the whole trip. If I'd known this was in my future I would never have gotten rid of my Prius.
2016 MS 90D

• Informative
Reactions: GeoX750
This has been ongoing debate for months and there’s a class action case going on
Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software
But the class action doesn't include 90s. And mine's only been affected since the last couple of updates. I think. I do know it wasn't affected during the summer. It's almost like Tesla recently realized that the older 90s are affected too.

I’ve been noticing slower supercharging for a year or two, for my 2013 S85. I probably don’t supercharge more than ten times per year, and am very careful about avoiding deep discharges and 100% charging at all times. And yet I’ve seen the typical performance drop from 60 kW at 60% to 50 kw at 50%, and sometimes lower but probably only in very hot summer conditions. This really does compromise highway travel with this car.

Now I’m selling the car and wondering how this will impact sales value. I already have a Model 3 which is now the obvious favorite for highway travels. So I’m not going to be trading in for an updated Tesla, but I wonder how Tesla would treat or modify the car if they had it as a CPO sale car? Would they let it charge faster or claim that it can do so?

• Informative
Reactions: GeoX750
Would they let it charge faster
Definitely not. You are acting as if this is the bully in school who is doing something for no other purpose at all except to be mean to you and make your life miserable. That's ridiculous. There is plenty of debate on whether the Supercharger slowing on these old cars was for to prevent:
(1) fires or
(2) warranty claims
or maybe some of both. Doesn't matter what the reason was, but it's what they have decided they need to do for those cars. But it is certain that they would not lift that restriction just because of getting the car back from you and reselling it.

or claim that it can do so?
I haven't ever seen Tesla make any claims about the Supercharging speed of used cars. They have had some specs about approximate Supercharging speeds on new cars in fairly ideal conditions, and...that's that. If it is down later for various reasons, they don't make any claims about that one way or the other.

They have had some specs about approximate Supercharging speeds on new cars in fairly ideal conditions, and...that's that. If it is down later for various reasons, they don't make any claims about that one way or the other.

For what it's worth, Tesla actually does say more on the subject now, albeit only in the manual, not in advertising. The current version of Model S manual in-car says (and didn't in the version from my time of purchase in 2015) that "The peak charging rate of the Battery may decrease slightly after a large number of DC Fast Charging sessions, such as those at Superchargers. […] These changes in the condition of the Battery are driven by battery physics and may increase the total Supercharging duration by a few minutes over time."

In other words, even after having revised the manual, Tesla still says chargegate's sharp reduction in charging speed is not normal.

For what it's worth, Tesla actually does say more on the subject now, albeit only in the manual, not in advertising. The current version of Model S manual in-car says (and didn't in the version from my time of purchase in 2015) that "The peak charging rate of the Battery may decrease slightly after a large number of DC Fast Charging sessions, such as those at Superchargers. […] These changes in the condition of the Battery are driven by battery physics and may increase the total Supercharging duration by a few minutes over time."

In other words, even after having revised the manual, Tesla still says chargegate's sharp reduction in charging speed is not normal.
lol “by a few minutes”

it has almost doubled.

Reactions: ThosEM
Charge at home overnight and stop worrying about it.
On the road charge when you are ready to eat or make a pit stop.
The car will usually be ready before you are.

With all due respect, I did state that “this really does compromise highway travel with the car”. Moreover, I would not have gone to the trouble of posting my experience if I wanted to be told essentially to “suck it up and deal with it.” I’m unhappy with my older Tesla and your scolding is not improving that situation.

It would help if Tesla could agree to let me charge the car on its original taper curve and take the consequences for the battery life on myself. Instead, they appear to have recently changed the terms of my battery warrantee to limit it to 120,000 miles. This change was made between 22 Oct. and 12 Dec. and may not be legally binding, but is stated on my Tesla page. I should also have noted that my battery has lost only 2% of its original capacity, and I would welcome a few percent more loss to restore the original charging speed. Of course, if it turned out that fire safety was really the issue, I’d change my tune.

Last edited:
My car has been severely throttled back. Yesterday I plugged in, started at 30kw. I was 50 percent full. Out of town.
They have cost me 2 extra hours on my runs to Richmond. Used to be 20 minutes stops, now 60 minute stops. That's times 5 or 6 stops to DC. This really sucks on my every couple month runs up north. I have a very good log book of over 500 chages in over 25 states.
My car is an antique, battery built in 2012.