Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S85D slow at supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Supercharger rate has definitely been throttled.

I’m on the road going to Xmas Eve dinner in my 2015 S85D and I’m stopped at the Gilroy 120kW supercharger. The throttled rate makes it so slow now, about 20-59kW max, that this car is no longer viable for road trips. It will take 60 minutes to get 100 miles of charge right now, starting at 25% SOC in 55F weather.

In 2015, I’ve driven this car to Canada and back from California on a 1,000 mile road trip and I rarely had to stop more than 15 minutes back then. I’m one of the early Tesla believers, I have solar on my roof, and I think global climate change is our biggest existential problem we’ve ever faced. I’m actually very tempted to say F-it and buy a gas car for my next purchase.

This is ridiculous and my feelings towards Tesla transformed over time from loyal and excited to betrayal. The car is simply not road-trip worthy anymore unfortunately.

Last edited:
Might be time to think about a new car.
The Model S 40, 60, 75, 85 and 90 are older technology.
Just like your IPhone they slow down over time. After a few years you learn to live with it or upgrade.
The first few years of a new technology the changes are many and then slow down and level off.
The first Iphone was not good when compared to the third version.
Yes a car is not an IPhone and much more expensive to replace but if you want the latest and greatest technology, speed of charging, auto pilot FSD, Sentry Mode and other latest features then an upgrade may be in your future. There is no denying that the Model 3 batteries with their longer range and faster charging are enticing if you own an older Model S. When Tesla has their battery investor day next year it will be interesting. Rumor is they will be introducing a longer lasting battery to go with their million mile motors. Once that comes out everyone with anything less will feel like old technology. Be happy with what you bought. They are all great cars. They just can not do what the newer ones can do.

Just like your IPhone they slow down over time. After a few years you learn to live with it or upgrade.
The first few years of a new technology the changes are many and then slow down and level off.
Yes a car is not an IPhone and much more expensive to replace but if you want the latest and greatest technology, speed of charging, auto pilot FSD, Sentry Mode and other latest features then an upgrade may be in your future. There is no denying that the Model 3 batteries with their longer range and faster charging are enticing if you own an older Model S. When Tesla has their battery investor day next year it will be interesting. Rumor is they will be introducing a longer lasting battery to go with their million mile motors. Once that comes out everyone with anything less will feel like old technology. Be happy with what you bought. They are all great cars. They just can not do what the newer ones can do.

Except we DID have plenty fast supercharging before they killed it. We’re not asking for anything new, just to get the performance back we used to have...

Supercharger rate has definitely been throttled.

I’m on the road going to Xmas Eve dinner in my 2015 S85D and I’m stopped at the Gilroy 120kW supercharger. The throttled rate makes it so slow now, about 20-59kW max, that this car is no longer viable for road trips. It will take 60 minutes to get 100 miles of charge right now, starting at 25% SOC in 55F weather.

In 2015, I’ve driven this car to Canada and back from California on a 1,000 mile road trip and I rarely had to stop more than 15 minutes back then. I’m one of the early Tesla believers, I have solar on my roof, and I think global climate change is our biggest existential problem we’ve ever faced. I’m actually very tempted to say F-it and buy a gas car for my next purchase.

This is ridiculous and my feelings towards Tesla transformed over time from loyal and excited to betrayal. The car is simply not road-trip worthy anymore unfortunately.
Agree. This charging is a joke. Got 75 miles in 25 minutes and the rate it was slowing down made it painfull to wait/wait for anything else. BaI'd hate to inconvenience others -- but Tesla isn't doing anything... We could easily clog up the stalls nationwide on a day or two and maybe then Tesla would do something.... I'm still surprised the media/public/competitors haven't picked up on this mess. This charge speed reduction would make a great case from a competitor to not buy a Tesla.

Reactions: Wufei

I have to disagree with what can be inferred here. The iPhone-Tesla analogy works as far as products of technology goes, but the issue here is that Tesla has retroactively restricted many of the selling points and features of the car without much explanation. This would be the equivalent of Apple restricting the charging rate, capacity, and decreasing voice/data quality during a software update without explaining or offering a timeline for a corrective solution.

Yes, it appears that the newer battery technology is better, but the instant restrictions to the older batteries does not sit well with virtually all of its owners.

Older batteries do not perform as well as new batteries.

Good thing there is a warranty to replace old batteries with new ones. Oh wait, Tesla will say they are still within spec even though charging takes 2-3 times longer than it used to.

Apple got caught limiting speed based on battery age (Link) and ending up making good on it and they "instituted a battery replacement program; the price of a new battery for an iPhone 6 or later dropped from $79 to $29, even if you’re out of warranty.".

I understand that battery technology is new and we are still learning things but the battery/motor warranty is the reason that consumers have trusted Tesla and bought a $40k-$140k car from them instead of going with the established ICE vehicle. If you lose 5-10% of range and it takes 5-10% longer to charge its not a big deal and to be expected but 15-20% of range loss and 100-200% longer charging time increase is unacceptable and the warranty should replace the parts that have degraded so much.

I am experiencing really bad charging speed on my 2015 P85D. Getting 30kW when I used to get 80+ most of the time. I have scheduled a service appointment, however, after reading responses here, I am not very hopeful.

what are other folks planning to address this?

Are there any bulk stats on this? I think ALL S/X are affected to varying degrees.
I've got a late 2018 MS75D and charging from 20-80% is now taking about 45 mins - it used to be more like 25. OK, so this is at 11 degrees C - which Tesla now seems to regard as "winter" but it was a lot better last year in colder conditions. While the community are just whinging in a fairly unstructured way, Tesla can get away with fobbing us off.
Regen also a shadow of its former self - limited to about 45 kW and slower to allow that rate.
I'm convinced that this is just them trying to avoid warranty payouts and not simply about stopping cars catching fire.

• Informative
Free Supercharging at a rate of 30-40kW is a complete joke. Tesla has definitely throttled older model S 85's. Our car is useless on a road trip now.

Model 3 owners and soon to be model 3 owners take note because this is what you have to look forward to in a few years.

I am experiencing really bad charging speed on my 2015 P85D. Getting 30kW when I used to get 80+ most of the time. I have scheduled a service appointment, however, after reading responses here, I am not very hopeful.

what are other folks planning to address this?

Lawsuits are the only hope for resolution it seems.

Go read the mega-thread in the Model S battery/charging forum.

During your service appointment they will tell you your battery is within spec and everything is working as expected if you want to save a few hours of your day.

Same for my 2015 85D, On trips normally roll into supercharger with less than 50 miles remaining more like 30 :) Used to get 116kw sustained until i hit the 80-100 mile mark. Now it drops into the 70-80kw within 30 seconds. Dont even ask abou the 72 KW Urban Superchangers max rate on those is mid 40's. My holiday 1000 mile roundtrip this year added over an hour more onto my Supercharger stops. And yes I do know about pairing and this isn't a pairing issue.

• Informative
Same for my 2015 85D, On trips normally roll into supercharger with less than 50 miles remaining more like 30 :) Used to get 116kw sustained until i hit the 80-100 mile mark. Now it drops into the 70-80kw within 30 seconds. Dont even ask abou the 72 KW Urban Superchangers max rate on those is mid 40's. My holiday 1000 mile roundtrip this year added over an hour more onto my Supercharger stops. And yes I do know about pairing and this isn't a pairing issue.

I'm beginning to think my 2013 S85 (90K miles old) is not "capped" the way that others have described. Yes, I'm experiencing a sharper taper and sometimes a kW charging speed below 64 at an unpaired V2 stall with a low SOC%, but I've also experienced charging speeds of up to 129kW as well. It seems very random when I'll get a faster session and when I'll have a crippled experience. I'm never sure if there's a hardware/software issue with my car or if there's a hardware issue at the Supercharger.

I've had a few experiences of getting speeds below 32kW (once I only got 8); I'm no stranger to switching stalls and getting faster rates. I currently have a 12/18 build S75D loaner and the SuC speeds are what my S85 use to be. It was still hitting 40kW @ 75% and 32kW @ 81% SOC.

You mean this iPhone?

Apple is squirreling away money to pay for lawsuits related to its iPhone 'batterygate' throttling scandal
Does Apple secretly throttle older phones? Another lawsuit claims yes

Well, we all know how well that turned out.