Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S85D slow at supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You had a completely new main battery under warranty? On what basis?

I meant that they replaced my battery. It was likely a refurb. New = new to me but I got rated range that slightly exceeded the spec of a new car.

As for why, a voltage sensor in the BMS died so they swapped the pack. My car died and threw every error message there was. It also drained and damaged the 12v battery. My car was in for about a week.

I had scheduled a service appointment to look into the charging issues. Tesla support called me and explained that there are no issues with the car, as per some remote diagnostics that they ran - is that even a thing to check the battery?

In the service request, I had shared pictures (attached) of the center console with starting, mid and final charging state as follows:
a) 11:03pm - 48% - 29kW
a) 11:14pm - 55% - 32kW
a) 11:58pm - 84% - 24kW

Since this was late in the night, there were very few cars and I wasn't sharing power with anyone. I had tried 2 other locations on different days and had the same result. Apparently, this is not enough evidence to look into my car without the diagnostic fee of $95.

Any recommendations?

IMG_7748.jpg IMG_9902.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9684.jpg
    IMG_9684.jpg
    501 KB · Views: 179
A lot of subjective comments on this thread. Although I agree the SuC rates have been reduced on my car, the increase in charge time is closer to 30% than 100% as some have reported. 30-80% is 45min.

Attachments

• 15782011572907310060954489621657.jpg
    15782011572907310060954489621657.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 171
I had scheduled a service appointment to look into the charging issues. Tesla support called me and explained that there are no issues with the car, as per some remote diagnostics that they ran - is that even a thing to check the battery?

In the service request, I had shared pictures (attached) of the center console with starting, mid and final charging state as follows:
a) 11:03pm - 48% - 29kW
a) 11:14pm - 55% - 32kW
a) 11:58pm - 84% - 24kW

Since this was late in the night, there were very few cars and I wasn't sharing power with anyone. I had tried 2 other locations on different days and had the same result. Apparently, this is not enough evidence to look into my car without the diagnostic fee of $95.

Any recommendations?

View attachment 496073 View attachment 496075
I would ask them to tell me what they regard as acceptable charge rates and to provide more details on the diagnostics, although I wouldn't expect an answer.

I would also repeat the test from outside the car with all heating off.

It would be interesting to hear from those in much warmer countries.

My wife is asking about upgrading her car (Rav4ev). I wanted her to wait for the Y, but will get the Toyota RAV4 Prime instead. Need a long range car without making another car useless for road trips again.

Any of you still want another Tesla after this slow down SC experience?

• Disagree
Reactions: arghx7 and Evoforce
Ck this out, mine was at 19 this morning, lowest I've had. It is using twice as much charge now.
It charges faster at home 19kw.
Charging at a SuperCharger over 80% makes no sense unless you absolutely need the extra range to get to the next charger or destination.
I see you have your setting for 100%. The quickest way to travel with the least amount of down time is to charge for what you need to get to your next stop. Keeping the battery between 20-80% is best for the battery. Charging from 20 - 60% will give you the fastest in and out times for travel. Yes you can go above and below those numbers but that should be what you aim for in most cases. The time spent at SuperChargers will be less and you will get to your destination faster.

Reactions: maximizese
Charging at a SuperCharger over 80% makes no sense unless you absolutely need the extra range to get to the next charger or destination.
I see you have your setting for 100%. The quickest way to travel with the least amount of down time is to charge for what you need to get to your next stop. Keeping the battery between 20-80% is best for the battery. Charging from 20 - 60% will give you the fastest in and out times for travel. Yes you can go above and below those numbers but that should be what you aim for in most cases. The time spent at SuperChargers will be less and you will get to your destination faster.

According to Elon tweet aimed at the older MS a few years back, 30-70 is best for the battery, but only marginally so than 20-80%.

I find now if I get close to 80 at a SuC, the fans come on and stay on.

Comparing a recent SuC to one last year, I see it now takes 21% longer to charge 30 to 80% than it did a year ago.

I would also like to point out that the least amount of time spend at Superchargers not only gets you to your destination faster, but helps alleviate congestion at all the Superchargers you visit. The only instances of regret I can imagine about charging without a lot of headroom would be if your next Supercharger lot is slow, congested, or out of commission and you don't have enough range to make it to the nearest SuC...one reason to keep your mobile charging unit with you at all times.

Aerodyne, yes, yes, it's taking me 2 more hours to charge in order to get to DC. I have charged all over the USA, it's getting slower and slower. Sunday the faster I could get was 30kw. Another thing, i was in Port Orange , ALONE, then system told me it was dialing me back to 80 percent cause was busy station. WTF I'm here alone. Long trips are beginning to really be a pain.

I brought my X in for service on Wednesday, hopefully to replace a failing MCU (another story). Anyway, I was able to get a loaner Model S. An old 2012 Model S with 40K miles. Had about 50% charge so decided to charge at Lonetree Supercharger at Park Meadows. Chargers 3A, 3B were empty so I selected 3B. Only charged at 30kw so decided to move to 3A. Still at 30kw. 2B was empty and someone just left 2A. Moved to 2A, Still charged at 30kw. So I assume the old Model S had been really downgraded to 30kw. I am planning on keeping my 2016 P90D Model X for a couple more years. Currently the Model X maximum charge rate is 90kw. I have been downgraded to maximum of 30A on my HPWC at home; used to get 40A. The loaner Model S will charge at 40A. I am really concerned that the Model X will continue to be downgraded. As pointed out here that will mean you cannot use the Tesla for road trips.

Only charged at 30kw so decided to move to 3A. Still at 30kw. 2B was empty and someone just left 2A. Moved to 2A, Still charged at 30kw. So I assume the old Model S had been really downgraded to 30kw.
That doesn't sound like the downgrading to me--too low. 30kW at 50% full is much lower than the downgraded charging speeds that have been pushed. I'm thinking it's because it's January in Colorado. They keep those loaners outside, and it was probably pretty cold soaked. I think that's just as fast as it would allow for as cold as it was.

I have been downgraded to maximum of 30A on my HPWC at home; used to get 40A.
:p That's not a thing. They have not ever downgraded anyone's home AC charging. You have a problem. Check the settings in your car or your wall connector.

Just throwing another data point in there. '15 85D with abysmal supercharging rates now. I don't SC often, but the other night I did and with just 15% on a warm battery (cold night though) and I think it topped out at 65 kw, then quickly came down. This is borderline unusable on road trips. Sigh.