Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S85D slow at supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Newer cars won't be so bad. I wouldn't buy a Tesla, though. I would lease or PCP it (for a max of 4 years, less if I do high mileage). To be fair, it's not just Tesla, I'll never buy a new car outright again - all motor manufacturers are guilty of sharp practice. Tesla in the old days was different - or at least seemed to be!

It's a shame that people who thought they were buying a car (and fuel!) for life are now having to throw them away.

It may seem like a totally unrelated point, but has anyone managed to get Tesla to honour their original pledge of free supercharging for life - not only of the car, but of the owner if they buy another Tesla? I know that Tesla attempted to change history here, and I think they succeeded, but just wondered if someone with more legal nous had held them to it?

The Y will charge faster than the S.
Newer cars won't be so bad. I wouldn't buy a Tesla, though. I would lease or PCP it (for a max of 4 years, less if I do high mileage). To be fair, it's not just Tesla, I'll never buy a new car outright again - all motor manufacturers are guilty of sharp practice. Tesla in the old days was different - or at least seemed to be!

It's a shame that people who thought they were buying a car (and fuel!) for life are now having to throw them away.

It may seem like a totally unrelated point, but has anyone managed to get Tesla to honour their original pledge of free supercharging for life - not only of the car, but of the owner if they buy another Tesla? I know that Tesla attempted to change history here, and I think they succeeded, but just wondered if someone with more legal nous had held them to it?

We're not throwing them away, it's just that we can't drive long distances anymore. The FUSC is still nice if I end up driving a lot in town and need to fuel up, especially as the number of Superchargers keep increasing in my city (we're up to 4 with 3 more scheduled for this year).

When a Greyhound/MegaBus trip is faster between cities, we just really need to think hard if it's worth the drive in our old Teslas...

I've bought my P85D used from Tesla a little over a year ago and really starting to regret my purchase. I did a ton of road tripping that first year before they gimped the supercharging but now it's pathetic. I'd take my ICE car before I did a couple of the trips I did previously because to make Blanding, UT to Page, AZ I pretty much needed a full charge and when my POS only charges at 60-20kwh now I'll be stuck in that dump town for hours charging.

Also looked at my teslafi data from approx a year ago to today with similar conditions and starting charge levels I got 20% less charge in the same amount of time. 11%-90% in 59 min vs 15%-73% in 54 min now

Last edited:
Not experiencing the above, Except for a quick tapper in charging speeds.
I just did a road trip to Florida and back to Ottawa in a 2015 P85D. I maked out at 129kW! Although it never lasted long. Only got that between 2-15% and max for 3mins and not at every charger. By 15-20% I would get around 95-105. By the time I was 25% down to 80kW. Than by 50% I was less then 50kW. Going to post my trip stats in a few days in seperate post. I spent a long time supercharging for the long hauls(hour plus), unfortunately due to this quick tapper in speeds. When the chargers where close I could fly along with some pretty short stops with barely enough time to pee.
* I have had this Car 1.5 years and suspect the past owner did little to no supercharing(due to where I suspect this car was located) leaked address by Tesla and was a long distance to a Supercharger.

Just saw this thread as I came here looking for the same thing. I take the same road trips frequently so I know the SuC stops well and the speeds I used to get. My car(S75D) has been throttled exactly 20% from what I see. I used to always cap at my max of 94/95kW with a low SoC, fully warmed up battery and now get exactly 76kW in the same scenario. My usual 5hr15min drives are now around 6.5 hours.

Just saw this thread as I came here looking for the same thing. I take the same road trips frequently so I know the SuC stops well and the speeds I used to get. My car(S75D) has been throttled exactly 20% from what I see. I used to always cap at my max of 94/95kW with a low SoC, fully warmed up battery and now get exactly 76kW in the same scenario. My usual 5hr15min drives are now around 6.5 hours.

My routine NY trip usually cost less than 10 hours including charging time. Now it takes longer than 11-12 hours due to the horrible charging time. I am quite shocked that the throttling is real. Seriously thinking about buying ICE (Hybrid or PHEV) for the long-range trip.

For the past few months, my 2015 Model S85D is charging on average below 35 KWh at the superchargers. The local TESLA shop checked the battery and charging system and stated that all is working correctly. They also stated that maybe the battery needed to cool first. This issue continues to occur in spite of a short drive to the supercharger. Today I asked others at the Monterey supercharger about their speed. The newer S, X, and 3 were charging above 80 KW. One of the owners even moved his car so I could try that particular supercharger. Two other older model S that arrived later also charged very slowly. It appears that there is a degradation in the speed of charging with older models? I engage the navigation to the supercharger which supposedly prepares the battery. Any insights from other owners?
Thanks!

is your problem solved?