Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S90D Battery Degradation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
day 1 of life new vehicle 2017 model s 90d full charge 294 mi.

2 years later it is 274 mi.

Normal daily use of car with charging set mainly to 80 percent max. Slow trickle charge at work 4 mi/hr mainly.

Is this within the realm of normal or accepted degradation? Or do I need to check with Tesla about battery issue?

6.8% loss is close to normal. You did not state how many miles you have driven. Also the software seems to have been tweaked in the last 2 years to be more realistic in its range estimates.
In my case after nearly 4 years and 220,000 km ( ~ 135,000 miles ) I have a 7% loss. P85D Ludicrous.

I would say pretty normal. 267 @ 100% after 42K miles early 2016 s90d. Orginial @ 100% was at 286 miles. Around 7% degradation so far. Yes it sucks, but it is just the way it is.

I plan to put on pizza pans on my wheels when I get to more than 10% degradation. This way I should get back roughly about 5% of it during road trips where I really care about range.

• Funny
Reactions: Ciaopec
1. Build Date/Mileage: 3/2016 / 38.5K (pre-facelift)
2. Range at 100% (Standard Miles/Range Mode off): 274 vs. 294 new (6.8% degradation)
3. Daily Charge % Target: 70%
4. Supercharger use per year: 36% of my charging is at superchargers, still charges at up to 105kW at < half SoC
5. Battery Version and or Part #: 1063792-00-A

Is that part number V1 or V2?

6.8% seems normal for these cars. Is there reason to believe the degradation will continue and not stabilize?

1. Build Date/Mileage: 3/2016 / 38.5K (pre-facelift)
2. Range at 100% (Standard Miles/Range Mode off): 274 vs. 294 new (6.8% degradation)
3. Daily Charge % Target: 70%
4. Supercharger use per year: 36% of my charging is at superchargers, still charges at up to 105kW at < half SoC
5. Battery Version and or Part #: 1063792-00-A

Is that part number V1 or V2?

6.8% seems normal for these cars. Is there reason to believe the degradation will continue and not stabilize?
I think you need the the last number to be E to be V3. I remember A is V1 V2 was like B or something. I will have to look for the post.

day 1 of life new vehicle 2017 model s 90d full charge 294 mi.

2 years later it is 274 mi.

Normal daily use of car with charging set mainly to 80 percent max. Slow trickle charge at work 4 mi/hr mainly.

Is this within the realm of normal or accepted degradation? Or do I need to check with Tesla about battery issue?

5 years later my max is 225 mi. Brand new my range was 276 ish. 166,000 mi currently.

5% degradation is about average, but 10% is not unknown. Most people see degradation over the first year and then it levels out and doesn't degrade much after a year or so. Your degradation is a tick more than average, but well within normal.

Slow degradation is normal. What you need to go on alert for is a sudden drop over a few days. That usually is a sign that one or more cells have gone bad. I haven't seen it, but some people here on the forum have seen drops of 10 miles or more over the span of a week. Many have had to fight the service center to take them seriously, but eventually Tesla ends up rebuilding their pack due to cell failures.

My daily commute is 150 miles with some incline @ 325 wh/mi. I did this for about 3-4 years before i found some other commuters. There were no super chargers back then on my commute, now there are 2 Mojave & Inyokern. I'm one of the road warriors so i have a lot of cycles on my batteries.

My daily commute is about 120 miles, so I might be in the same position so that's why I am little reluctant to get a 90D, but might stick with a 75D instead. Hopefully, I can bug Tesla enough if my battery degradation goes down by more than 10%.