Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 100 with Drawtite hitch - tow 6500 lbs short distance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi - I have a 2017 on which I installed the aftermarket drawtite hitch to avoid tongue weight issues with Bosal.

I am eying a new boat that is 22ft 4500lbs dry weight and about 6000-6500 lbs with trailer. I only need to tow this boat at 80 km/h about 15km to dealer and back each year for winter storage or service.

I know X rated for 5000 lbs but wondering if this would be a problem over short distance? Has anyone else towed similar boat load?

Reactions: scottf200
Hi - I have a 2017 on which I installed the aftermarket drawtite hitch to avoid tongue weight issues with Bosal.

I am eying a new boat that is 22ft 4500lbs dry weight and about 6000-6500 lbs with trailer. I only need to tow this boat at 80 km/h about 15km to dealer and back each year for winter storage or service.

I know X rated for 5000 lbs but wondering if this would be a problem over short distance? Has anyone else towed similar boat load?
It’s a problem mostly for everyone else on the road you are putting in danger by not adhering to the manufacturers tow specs.

Reactions: ngng

load ratings don't magically change just because you are towing a short distance.

if you're only doing it twice a year borrow/rent a truck

I'd do it. The load rating is calculated figuring normal driving, necessary fast stops, curves and corners. IF YOU ARE CAREFUL and drive slower, take corners slower, stop gently, of course you can do it. I might recommend you move the boat in the hours that traffic is light to non-existent so you don't worry some other drivers, but you could also slow down. Speed is the major enemy.

You can always break the rules from time to time, and most times you'll get away with it. Problem is, no one knows when that time will come when you CAN;T get away with it... but that can happen even if you're towing the recommended load at the designated speed. But I must point out that even towing the recommended weight, you can still kill yourself depending on how you drive. JUST USE YOUR COMMON SENSE weighed against your experience. If you have little experience, better stick to the rules.

And before I get flamed (go ahead, I don't much care) I know most Tesla drivers go over the posted speed limit and dash around corners because it's fun, even though it's probably just as dangerous as hauling a bigger load than recommended. I have been known to pass a string of cars going 20 mph below the speed limit, and I MAY have sped up near 100 mph to do it. No, there was no drama, no noise, just swoosh as I passed the pickup in front of the line. Usually another car or two will screw their courage up and follow me.

• Helpful
Reactions: X007X and scottf200
I have a 2017 on which I installed the aftermarket drawtite hitch to avoid tongue weight issues with Bosal.
I assume you bought this hitch — Draw-Tite | 76143 | Class III Trailer Hitch

That page states: UP TO 750/5,000 LBS. (TW/GTW)

So you would be way over the manufacturers recommendations. Common sense says the boat/trailer is too heavy for that hitch.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
there's a thread from a guy who had a bike hitch fail carrying 4 bikes right around the limit. things fail. is it worth it? even if your hitch does not fail and something happens beyond your control i imagine insurance will deny any claims because you were towing outside of the specified limits.

Is it a tandem trailer? That makes a huge difference on the tow vehicle handling.

I’d do it too.

There are so many variables besides the pure weight. Watch your tongue weight.

You could look into a load balance hitch.

Make sure you have proper brake setup (I.e. brake controller) if trailer has e brakes. If trailer has surge brakes that can make it harder to setup a load balancing hitch. If you have a third party hitch that could complicate running a brake controller (no wiring for it). I use factory wiring on my Model X for the brake controller. I think they have wireless brake controller setups. I definitely would not do this without working brakes in the trailer.

I think if you kept to those speeds you’d fine.

But if you did have any accident, even unrelated to tow weight you could get in hit water.

Not that a full tank of gas in the boat weights a lot.

there's a thread from a guy who had a bike hitch fail carrying 4 bikes right around the limit.
I believe the thread you are referring to is this one Model X/Y bike rack loading issues

The OP in that thread appears to have overloaded his Tesla bike rack by a significant amount because he failed to include the weight of the rack when calculating the total vertical load on the hitch of his 4 bikes.

T, did you end up towing this? Any issues? Thanks.

I wouldn't think it's a danger to others, X is much more dynamically capable than a Colorado or whatever that has a higher tow rating. It'll stop, it'll turn, it'll control the weight, so long as you're using a drawtite and not the Bosal hitch anyway

It's a danger to the all-aluminum, very difficult to repair X's rear frame though. Bending stuff back there seems like a headache and a half

For anyone considering this. 6000 lbs is 20% over. 6500, 30%. I can't imagine what either of those is going to do to your braking distance. I think the post above is correct, rent a truck twice a year! Not worth taking the chance of destroying both your model X and your boat. Not to mention what you might do to someone else. Rear ending somebody is not a good thing.

Reactions: TrevTremaine