Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 100D constantly throwing charging interrupted messages

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a Model X 100D that has given me charging interrupted messages at 4 different chargers over the last 2 days. 2 of them were superchargers, 1 was a home 40A j1772 and the last was a destination charger 72A. Charging worked again after replugging the connectors except the first time it happened at the supercharger...I kept pressing the Charge Now button on the phone app and it restarted supercharging without me having to reply.

I called roadside assistance who connected me to a vehicle technician over the phone. He had me troubleshoot at the destination charger and said it could be my charge port having an issue and would try sending a mobile service call out tomorrow.

Anyone else here have something similar happen? I'm on a trip and a little worried about being able to make it home when I head back.

I assume you have an MCU2?

There are several threads where MCU2 vehicles are having problems with Gen 1 HPWC (a lot of Destination Chargers), Gen 1 Mobile Connectors, etc.

Yep. This. I have a new MCU2 Model X 100D and an old HPWC from my former Model S in the garage. I quite often get the charge interrupted messages. Sometimes it won't charge at all and I just get a red light on the HPWC and a red ring on the car.

Yep. This. I have a new MCU2 Model X 100D and an old HPWC from my former Model S in the garage. I quite often get the charge interrupted messages. Sometimes it won't charge at all and I just get a red light on the HPWC and a red ring on the car.[/QUOTE

You have same set up as me - same problem - but it typically corrects itself down to 30 amps. Tesla is aware - they’ve been swapping our people’s HPWC Gen 1 for Gen 2 for free - I don’t want new Mobile Connector as I have one and 30 amp sucks....

Call Tesla, ask for the Charging Team and report it so they know your vehicle in particular - that’s all we can do at this point. I’m supposed to road trip to a hotel in 2 weeks and I’m pretty sure they have Gen 1 HPWC so I am a little more freaked...

Curious that I am able to charge just fine at public J1772 stations well above 30 amps. I've used 100 amp stations (80 amps max delivered) and just today charged at 48 amps at a public station. Weird that it is just a signaling problem with Tesla's own HPWC.

An update to my issue. Tried to charge at the destination charger tonight and after about 10 minutes got the charging interrupted app notification. Went out to replug but the port stayed red and even after a scroll wheel reboot, remained red whether plugged in or not.

Drove to a nearby supercharger and the charge port light was constantly red right when opening the charge port. Plugged into the supercharger anyway but it would not begin charging. I believe the car said to check the power source.

Called roadside assistance and the gentleman on the phone asked me to try a power off from the screen menu, then wait two minutes before powering the car back up.

After that, the charge port light acted normally and was white when the port was opened and I was able to supercharge from 50% to 89% without any interruption. I'm hoping it stays working until I'm able to finish my drive back home.

Reactions: P85_DA
Ended up having the same problem after we got home from the trip. Very thankful we were able to supercharge at all on the drive back and that the error did not appear again until after the car was plugged into our garage Level 2 40A connector. I tried the Power Off procedure (that previously worked) multiple times without any success.

Car went into the SC and they ended up replacing the onboard charger according to the invoice. I haven't had the chance (or need) to try to charge it again since, but I'm assuming they fixed it since they did reproduce the issue while it was at the SC.

Has it been hotter than usual when you were having this issue?
Not really. The first time I received the charging interrupted message was at a supercharger in a covered parking garage. Then at home on my level 2 charger also in a closed garage.

The drive down from SF bay to LA did include areas like the kettleman city and Santa Clarita superchargers that were very hot while we were charging there, but the problems started before that.