Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 100D Mileage Drop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The % would just show me whether it's less than half or more than half, but what can I do with that so-called information? Without going through some math calculations to try to convert it into some distance, it can't really be used for much.

Exactly. What other information do you really need from the fuel tank gauge? How full is the “tank?” 62%, 13% whatever.

If you are looking for a reasonably accurate estimate of remaining range, that is what the energy graph is for. It takes into account environmental conditions and your recent driving history. It knows if the temperature is 12° and you are driving 80 mph.

Reactions: Kacey Green
So it's the difference between:
Distance: informative but not precise
Percent: precise but not informative

I have gotten to know roughly how far I can go on each 10% of range depending on conditions, and I also have a good sense of how long it takes me to recharge each 10%. So we're just thinking about it from opposite sides is all. For me, the distance is not informative but the percent is.

I think it is great that we have two choices, but I wish we had three: I wish I had the option of showing "Predicated" rage on the center dash in addition to "Rated" range and "Percentage".

My 2 and a half month MX 100D charged to 100% for the first time today shows 290 miles.
Shouldn’t it show the full 295 given that this is the first time?
I don’t necessarily take my car out every single day and even if I did, drive it for less than 5 miles. Weekly maybe around 50 miles.
So, I charge it once in a few days to 70% (206 miles) and drive it around until it gets to about 90 miles (haven’t checked battery percentage) before I plug it in. Is this the right thing to do for battery longevity or should I leave it plugged every night regardless of how infrequently I use the car?

My 2 and a half month MX 100D charged to 100% for the first time today shows 290 miles.
Shouldn’t it show the full 295 given that this is the first time?
I don’t necessarily take my car out every single day and even if I did, drive it for less than 5 miles. Weekly maybe around 50 miles.
So, I charge it once in a few days to 70% (206 miles) and drive it around until it gets to about 90 miles (haven’t checked battery percentage) before I plug it in. Is this the right thing to do for battery longevity or should I leave it plugged every night regardless of how infrequently I use the car?

Don’t sweat it. The 295 is just a modified scale. Frankly a kinda stupid one IMO. Indicated Mileage on the fuel gauge has nothing to do with actual range. It is simply an indication of how full the tank is, using a scale of 0 to 295. Similar to a speedometer calibrated in furlongs per fortnight. If you set your car to display %, you will find that it doesn’t always charge to exactly 100%. Sometimes it stops at 98 or 99.

Unless it is inconvenient, I would suggest leaving the car plugged in whenever reasonably possible, certainly overnight every night. There is no reason not to. Also you can start up the climate system remotely before going to the car, without consuming any battery.

Last edited:
Don’t sweat it. The 295 is just a modified scale. Frankly a kinda stupid one IMO. Indicated Mileage on the fuel gauge has nothing to do with actual range. It is simply an indication of how full the tank is, using a scale of 0 to 295. Similar to a speedometer calibrated in furlongs per fortnight. If you set your car to display %, you will find that it doesn’t always charge to exactly 100%. Sometimes it stops at 98 or 99.

Unless it is inconvenient, I would suggest leaving the car plugged in whenever reasonably possible, certainly overnight every night. There is no reason not to. Also you can start up the climate system remotely before going to the car, without consuming any battery.
Thank you. I can certainly plug in every night. Would that not negatively impact the battery life if I just drive for around 5 miles and charge it again to 70% instead of letting it discharge to say about 30%?

Thank you. I can certainly plug in every night. Would that not negatively impact the battery life if I just drive for around 5 miles and charge it again to 70% instead of letting it discharge to say about 30%?

There is some merit to limiting charge to 70% (that is what I do) unless you need more for a longer trip. But charging to that level daily does not negatively impact anything.

Plugging in every night but still shows only 202 miles at 70%. Should I report this to Tesla? Anyone had a similar experience?

I don't even look at the miles any more. Only %.

Percentage itself is an estimate based on measuring current flow. Miles is estimated on %, so it is an estimate of an estimate with inaccuracies in both estimates. So of the 2, % is the better number to look at IMHO. It is a similar estimate to a gas gauge on an ICE car which based on a float sloshing around in a tank.

Tesla doesn't care if you lose a few rated miles. That's not a malfunction.

From what I've read here the past two years:

Rebalancing occurs when charging above 90% or a little higher. That can sometimes recover a few rated miles for you.

When you use most of the battery charge and then recharge it, the car can recalibrate its rated miles estimation calculation. This might result in different readings when charging to your normal level.

In general, small recharges and battery levels near 50% are supposed to extend battery longevity. In practice people seem to do fine charging to 90%, or 100% and driving soon after. We'll probably know more in another 5 to 10 years. Regularly charging to lower levels seems to throw off the rated miles estimation a little over time, so an occasional higher charge might help.

Reactions: ModlS3XY
Percentage itself is an estimate based on measuring current flow. Miles is estimated on %, so it is an estimate of an estimate
Very minor correction here: The rated miles is based on kWh of energy it reads in the battery--not the %. That's why year after year, as you fill the car up and it says 100%, you will see rated miles numbers of 265, then 260, then 250, then 244, etc. as that slow degradation does start to set in. It can tell that there is less energy available, but it will still report 100% when that's as full as it can make it. For most people who have only had the cars for a couple years or so, the energy and % mostly sync up.

There is some merit to limiting charge to 70% (that is what I do) unless you need more for a longer trip. But charging to that level daily does not negatively impact anything.

Not at all and, in fact the opposite. The batteries prefer more frequent shallow discharge-charge cycles to less frequent deep discharge-charge cycles. The only downside is that the software that estimates your full charge range may get a bit out of calibration since it never "sees" how far down the battery goes, but the physical battery, which is the thing you care about, will be happier.

Charging to 70% is fine too. The batteries are most comfortable in the upper middle of their charge capacity as well.

E999E3D4-28F7-4A7C-9558-813C2AF59C39.jpeg
073EB7AD-FEDE-416F-8312-AB649330F410.jpeg
Hello
We have two model X’s. If I compare them at 90% one has 430 km of range and the other only 336 km.

The are both 1 year old. There bought 90D