Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 100D range out of range after 205 miles from Full charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was a test to check battery health

Have been suspecting higher than normal battery degradation so did this test today. Car has about 35k miles charge daily to 50-75% drive daily drive daily about 35 or so miles.

For the test today charged to 100% and let it sit till it said charging complete (40 or so minutes after it hits 100%)

drove it on i95 at about 75 mph it did 205.9 miles at 382 Wh/mi and spent 78.7 KWh

do I read this as 21% degradation ?

Attachments

• 084FE1DD-067B-42D3-B6C3-E4435017A02B.jpeg
    084FE1DD-067B-42D3-B6C3-E4435017A02B.jpeg
    304.8 KB · Views: 257

No.

To see whether there's a degradation you need to compare the trips with exact parameters.

If the first trip was 75mph for 205.9 miles at 382 Wh/mi and 78.7 kWh, then this trip is exactly the same with no sign of degradation.

The parameters all should be the same, so you should do the trip in one charge and should not stop and should not do the last run since 4:31 PM for another 16.3 last miles.

If you charged to "beyond" 100%, then drove it in one go until it almost died (beyond 0%, there's an unknown reserve of a few miles until shutdown), then you should get a kWh in the 90kWh+. If you stopped somewhere, played some games, watched some netflix, ate dinner, checked on the car a couple of times with sentry mode on, preconditioning, all those things ate into the battery but not factored into the driving kWh tally.
I have a lead-foot myself. I always multiply the range remaining by 2/3 to get at a correct-for-my-driving-style range (gunner, 80mph). 297mile range (preRaven) x 2/3 ~ 200 miles with some safety, pretty close to your 205-mile run.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
If you charged to "beyond" 100%, then drove it in one go until it almost died (beyond 0%, there's an unknown reserve of a few miles until shutdown), then you should get a kWh in the 90kWh+. If you stopped somewhere, played some games, watched some netflix, ate dinner, checked on the car a couple of times with sentry mode on, preconditioning, all those things ate into the battery but not factored into the driving kWh tally.
I have a lead-foot myself. I always multiply the range remaining by 2/3 to get at a correct-for-my-driving-style range (gunner, 80mph). 297mile range (preRaven) x 2/3 ~ 200 miles with some safety, pretty close to your 205-mile run.

It’s possible that routinely charging to only 50-75% has thrown off your state of charge calculation. Shallow cycles have been known to cause this; the phenomenon has even been addressed by Elon on Twitter.

I recommend charging to 90% for a week, then trying the test again.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
It’s possible that routinely charging to only 50-75% has thrown off your state of charge calculation. Shallow cycles have been known to cause this; the phenomenon has even been addressed by Elon on Twitter.

I recommend charging to 90% for a week, then trying the test again.
I'm going to try that myself --> post on it: SOC goes higher than scheduled timed SOC limit

This was a test to check battery health

Have been suspecting higher than normal battery degradation so did this test today. Car has about 35k miles charge daily to 50-75% drive daily drive daily about 35 or so miles.

For the test today charged to 100% and let it sit till it said charging complete (40 or so minutes after it hits 100%)

drove it on i95 at about 75 mph it did 205.9 miles at 382 Wh/mi and spent 78.7 KWh

what was the 100% range number?
are you running 22’s or 20’s?

I have a X100D with 35k miles as well and the best I can get is roughly the same (~210 miles)

It was your speed at 75 mph and above that depleted your battery faster than estimated.
If you did the same test again at 50 mph you would have gotten your range back.
Model X is the largest vehicle Tesla makes. As such it is most effected by running at higher speeds. Drag increases at the square of your speed.
Model X is the worlds most efficient full sized SUV, but still gets better range at slower speeds.

Op's post is also talking about total battery kWh expended. 78.7kWh from 100%-0%. In that case, range/mph have no bearing. Op is asking where did the missing 21.3kWh go? That can't be from 35K mile degradation alone. (I know that the 100D pack is slightly bigger than 100kWh). The only things I can think of are vampire drain and other non-driving related usage.

Op's post is also talking about total battery kWh expended. 78.7kWh from 100%-0%. In that case, range/mph have no bearing. Op is asking where did the missing 21.3kWh go? That can't be from 35K mile degradation alone. (I know that the 100D pack is slightly bigger than 100kWh). The only things I can think of are vampire drain and other non-driving related usage.
I'm having a similar issue. From 100% charge to 1% charge all hiwghay driving no stopping I used 76.4kwh from my P100DL. Curious where the other 23.6kwh battery went. This has happened on several occasions.

I'm having a similar issue. From 100% charge to 1% charge all hiwghay driving no stopping I used 76.4kwh from my P100DL. Curious where the other 23.6kwh battery went. This has happened on several occasions.

That's why Tesla stops advertising its kWh batteries anymore but now they are all called with a vague name, not a number: "Standard Range, Long Range..."

A battery does not have 100% usable capacity. Some capacity is reserved at the top and bottom of the range to protect it from damage. If is not good to leave a battery 100% full, not 100% empty.

Same thing with computer hard drives. A 20 gigga byte hard drive does not have 20 end user usable.

The published mileage shown when full is often the EPA estimate. Of course it always come with YMMV. How you drive, weather, temperature, wind, load, tire pressures, grade of road, heat/ac/accesssories used, tire size, etc all will cause variations.

Some drivers know how to maximize their range...others don't.

Maybe I’m missing it, but the key point is that we all know the battery is between 90-95kw accessible, then why is he getting to empty in the 70’s? If he drove straight then there can’t be that much ‘vampire drain.’

either your computer is calculating the battery used incorrectly, or your not really getting to 100% charge, or you have a bad battery. Either way it’s worth a call to service.