Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 12 Volt battery exploded

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@mxnym maybe try a CA center ? : /
worked at San Rafael recently
I wonder if you got lucky or if they're improving (surmounting the volume challenge). When the 3 was first rolling out, it seemed like complaints about service quality dropping like a rock on the coasts were rampant, but my service center was fine (except good luck calling them). Even before the 3 rollout, I never once got an answer when I chose that service center option (I also never tried using the sales option and asking them to get me connected, but that was a commonly suggested workaround and there were always responses saying it didn't work). Back then, I could e-mail my SA directly and get a response every time, so it didn't really matter to me even though I did have a loaner for weeks on multiple occasions. Fortunately, my X is fairly stable at this point, but when I do need service, it's all hoops with the app and texting and rescheduling, and when I recently had to use roadside because the air suspension quit, I had to hitch rides to and from work for a week with no loaner and no responses to texts, not to mention figuring out how to get to the service center after repair with no sort of assistance at all.

Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
A few days ago I received a 12 volt warning on the dash panel. Replace 12 volt battery. I thought it would recharge as it had been setting. Two short trips and warning remained. Used the app to arrange for a new battery. Schedule for three days later, good news.

Last night my wife and I head a loud boom in the garage. Went out and looked and nothing out of the ordinary but there was an unusual oder. Looked under and opened the trunk and nothing visible.

In the morning I moved the car out early as the window for service was from 0700-1100 hrs. After moving it out I noticed the battery fluid on the garage floor.

Mobile tech arrived at 0800 and relayed the story. When he got to the battery he saw the missing corner and found it laying beside the battery. He made a phone call and indicated it would have to go into service for the repair. He could not take the open battery and they wanted to check for other areas that may have been contaminated by the battery fluid. Use the app and they will come and get the car. I live in Fremont, 5 miles form the factory, a bit further to the SC.

The car has 5200 miles and a signature edition, original battery and of course out of warranty. I received a text that I would have to pay for a tow. I have AAA so great call them. After about an hour they arrived with the standard flatbed. I alerted the driver that the mobile tech had disconnected the battery and the car would not open or move. He scratched his head and said another truck would come with wheels and move the car to the SC. No other AAA truck came after 3 hrs I called AAA. The tow was cancelled. Another appointment was made and still waiting for the next one to show.

The question is why did the tech disconnect the battery so the car could not be moved or put into jack mode? Doors locked and the car will not move.

The question about disconnecting the battery was indeed a good one as it turns out. Once the 12v batter has been disconnected, as you might guess, everything is off. Moving the vehicle is impossible. The battery was working ok when I moved it out of the garage so the tech could change it so there was no "emergency". "Wet" batteries can be open and still work fine. The problem was getting the car on a flatbed tow truck. Two AAA tow drivers came out and left without moving the car. A certified Tesla tow service had to move the car using plastic skids under the rear axil of the car. Plastic wedges were used and didn't see how he got the tires off of the ground but they were when he pulled the car up. Lessons learned. If the battery is working the car can be put in tow mode, the tech could have done that prior to disconnecting it. Use only a certified Tesla tow company, they know the car and how to manage towing it. Finally, if the control center says replace the 12v battery it probably should be a priority. The battery was replaced at Tesla Service Center and a new drain tube replaced. I did notice that the drain tube in the photo as it was laying beside the battery. Photo has been attached in another entry.

Reactions: IdaX
Signature S00814 means absolutely nothing to me and probably most reading. Is that a Tesla? Is that code for an 8/14 build date? Guess only those that memorize serial numbers will know how old your battery was.
It is interesting that with so many messages under your belt, you would not recognize a signature serial number. It looks like the original Tesla fans who have waited for their beloved car to arrive and follow the serial number trackers will become an endangered species at one point.

Reactions: Rocky_H