Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X - 12volt battery died

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been keeping an eye on Ohmmu for several years and intend to get one of theirs as soon as I get the first warning unless I get a warranty replacement.

Yeah is there a local supplier? I suspect waiting til the warning might be too late if you need to get it shipped from USA.

Is the warning a new feature? Do you know how much time between warning and failure?

I've always had a warning prior to failure and never ended up with a bricked car. I think the longest time I've left it was about 2 weeks between the warning and getting a replacement. I do remember after 2 weeks the vampire drain shot up dramatically and the battery was barely holding a charge.

There have been plenty of reports of people not getting warnings but I feel like they've adjusted the algorithm over the years to hopefully catch most cases of a failing battery.

In good news my battery has just been replaced by mobile service. Thankfully I didn't get the EcocloudIT experience and it was only a couple of days after placing a service request.

Reactions: mrpseudonym
Last week I returned from a 3-day trip. My 2018 MS100D was plugged-in the entire time in my Garage. When I tried to leave for work, after my trip, my car was completely dead. I could not connect with my app, I could not remove the charging cable, no lights came on, handles would not extend, NOTHING. I called Tesla. The did a remote diagnosis and informed me that my car would have to go to the Service Center. They arranged for a tow truck. Tow driver worked for over an hour to get into the frunk to access the 12v battery. When he hooked up his booster, the car came alive. Everything seemed to be fine, so I tried to initiate a normal charge session. Everything looked normal, except there were NO miles being added to the range. It stayed on zero. So, he backed the car out of my Garage and drove it onto the tow truck bed (all while showing zero range). It cost me $570 for the tow to the Kennesaw Service Center. Tesla acknowledged receipt of my car. They charged me a $195 diagnostic fee. They say the problem is my 12v battery, which that same SC had installed 11 months ago! Now, they tell me it will be WEEKS before they will have a 12v battery for my car! So far, they are refusing to provide me with a loaner because my car is out of warranty. However, the 12v battery IS in warranty. I don't know what to do. I can't wait weeks for my car. Any suggestions???

Now, they tell me it will be WEEKS before they will have a 12v battery for my car! So far, they are refusing to provide me with a loaner because my car is out of warranty. However, the 12v battery IS in warranty. I don't know what to do. I can't wait weeks for my car. Any suggestions???

That sounds unfortunate, but FYI, you have posted this in the Australian Tesla forum. I expect consumer laws and protections here are different to where you are.

Reactions: Blue heaven
Last week I returned from a 3-day trip. My 2018 MS100D was plugged-in the entire time in my Garage. When I tried to leave for work, after my trip, my car was completely dead. I could not connect with my app, I could not remove the charging cable, no lights came on, handles would not extend, NOTHING. I called Tesla. The did a remote diagnosis and informed me that my car would have to go to the Service Center. They arranged for a tow truck. Tow driver worked for over an hour to get into the frunk to access the 12v battery. When he hooked up his booster, the car came alive. Everything seemed to be fine, so I tried to initiate a normal charge session. Everything looked normal, except there were NO miles being added to the range. It stayed on zero. So, he backed the car out of my Garage and drove it onto the tow truck bed (all while showing zero range). It cost me $570 for the tow to the Kennesaw Service Center. Tesla acknowledged receipt of my car. They charged me a $195 diagnostic fee. They say the problem is my 12v battery, which that same SC had installed 11 months ago! Now, they tell me it will be WEEKS before they will have a 12v battery for my car! So far, they are refusing to provide me with a loaner because my car is out of warranty. However, the 12v battery IS in warranty. I don't know what to do. I can't wait weeks for my car. Any suggestions???
I went through that...I kicked up a big stink and it was replaced in a few days...not sure if it helps that I have a number of Tesla's (bought my first one in 2015), battery etc. etc. Really shouldn't matter through, Telsa used the excuse that because of China lock downs (which was occurring at the time) that this was the reaso for the delay, trouble the issue with supply of the 12-volt battery has been going on for years (re-dating COVID) and the darn 12-volt battery comes from South Korea not China!

I went through that...I kicked up a big stink and it was replaced in a few days...not sure if it helps that I have a number of Tesla's (bought my first one in 2015), battery etc. etc. Really shouldn't matter through, Telsa used the excuse that because of China lock downs (which was occurring at the time) that this was the reaso for the delay, trouble the issue with supply of the 12-volt battery has been going on for years (re-dating COVID) and the darn 12-volt battery comes from South Korea not China!
I had two 12v batteries replaced in two model S in November. Both done the day after the request on the service app.