Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X - 12volt battery died

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our Model X's 12-volt battery died today...zero warning and now bricked...Tesla are saying a minimum of 4 weeks for a new 12-volt battery!! They are indicating it could be 2+ months.

A quick search finds alternative brands, that are actually better than Tesla's 12-volt batteries, that can be order and delivered in 7 days (from the USA to Australia).

12V Lithium Battery for TESLA Model X

A $200k car being bricked for 1+ months for a simple 12-volt battery is darn unacceptable....when one can order in a battery independently of Tesla in less than a week it becomes criminal that Tesla is going to make me wait 1-2 months.

Does any one here have experience of what to do in a situation like this?

Reactions: CAM3RON
There appears to be an issue with the Supply of Tesla Batteries into the Country at the moment.
I remember when I first got my Model S I had a "Dead" 12V Battery and being impatient I managed to rig up something with a Generic Century Small Battery.
(Although I did secure it using Ratchet Straps/Cable Ties... lol).

I guess it depends on your levels of desperation.

Something like below would probably work.

It's dead...what I cannot understand is how Tesla don't have stock of such items in Australia....with no battery and no after market battery that is approved by Tesla I essentially have a $200k brick for 1+ months (potentially 2-3months).

That is incredibly inept of Tesla to leave customers in this position...
Ouch.... I know you can pop the frunk with a 12v supply. At least then you may be able to access the battery and hopefully replace it.

Pretty crappy situation

Ouch.... I know you can pop the frunk with a 12v supply. At least then you may be able to access the battery and hopefully replace it.

Pretty crappy situation
Finding a 3rd party battery that fits in the space allocated (it's non-standard size, at least in the Model X) is impossible.

Only one I have found would need to be sent from the USA (7 days), trouble is it is not supported by Tesla and may have issues....you can read about it here:

@EcoCloudIT:
I wouldn't think the search is impossible.
Looking at the Ohmmu Battery Specs in indicates their Model X LiPo4 Battery is 190mm x 121mm x 205mm
NS40LMF Batteries have similar dimensions of 182mm x 127mm x 199mm

These are commonly used in latest Gen Prius etc...
Obviously the AGM Style Chemistry from Tesla, or LiPo4 Chemistry would be better, but I reckon the Model X would run fine on one of these.

My Model S ran fine on a similar Century Battery for around 3-4 months until I decided to change it back over to the Tesla one.
(Just because it was in at the Service Centre)

@EcoCloudIT:
I wouldn't think the search is impossible.
Looking at the Ohmmu Battery Specs in indicates their Model X LiPo4 Battery is 190mm x 121mm x 205mm
NS40LMF Batteries have similar dimensions of 182mm x 127mm x 199mm

These are commonly used in latest Gen Prius etc...
Obviously the AGM Style Chemistry from Tesla, or LiPo4 Chemistry would be better, but I reckon the Model X would run fine on one of these.

My Model S ran fine on a similar Century Battery for around 3-4 months until I decided to change it back over to the Tesla one.
(Just because it was in at the Service Centre)

Thanks, found that battery also, however, if you check the thread below you'll see it's a bit of an issue at the moment re car assuming battery has issue etc.:

So outside of the Ohmmu I've not been able to find anyting else that will fit, and certinaly nothing in Australia. Telsa should keep stock of these types of items (every single car they have sold in Australia will have this issue somewhere between the 3-5 year mark). It's not acceptable for a car to be bricked for 1-3 months because of Tesla's lack of stock locally for such a simple item as a battery. Literally any other car brand I can ring a mobile battery shop and they will come out within 24 hours to install a new 12-volt battery with a choice of brands. Tesla have made it so we cannot easily use a 3rd party, they should ensure they always have stock.....

Edit:
Sorry, just saw your link, however I've watched the battery swap out for the Model X and the battery fits in a cradle that is a tight fit....battery would need to be the same size or slightly smaller....I'm pretty sure the link you provided the battery wouldn't fit.

Last edited:
Are Tesla offering a replacement vehicle for you to get around in whilst your brick waits for a new 12V?

Have a look at "Example 1" on page 16 of the ACCC's document, it looks like you have grounds to ask Tesla for a full refund based on that example of 5 weeks.
Telsa offered a Landcrusier Prado thingy and my wife said not a chance in hell she is driving it, I called Herz (whom Tesla use) and asked if we could have something smaller and they said they have zero stock of anything else in Victoria.

I call Tesla back to complain and they have now offered a Model 3 sometime next week.

My issue is not really with Tesla staff, they have been really nice, or even lack of Tesla loan cars or appropriate rental options…..not having 12 volt batteries easily accessible is the not acceptable part I find hard to come to terms with.

A car manufacturer either makes the battery a default standard size or they sure as s$&T make sure they have enough stock in each country they sell their cars. What is 10% of their 4+ year old cars need this battery:…that is thousands of car off of the road, bricked….

Reactions: Wol747
My issue is not really with Tesla staff, they have been really nice, or even lack of Tesla loan cars or appropriate rental options…..not having 12 volt batteries easily accessible is the not acceptable part I find hard to come to terms with.

A car manufacturer either makes the battery a default standard size or they sure as s$&T make sure they have enough stock in each country they sell their cars.

Agree 100%. Tesla should have sufficient stock (plus some) in their warehouse of the basic consumable/high risk items that otherwise prevent cars being on the road. Namely, 12V batteries and windscreens for all models S, X and 3. It should not be hard.

Completely unacceptable for a near trillion-dollar company.

My model 3 is now about 2 years old.

I’m inclined to order a 12v now to store in my garage, so that I have one “in stock” when the time comes for replacement.

Any reason not to? Do they deteriorate just sitting there?

I’m inclined to order a 12v now to store in my garage, so that I have one “in stock” when the time comes for replacement.

12V lead acid batteries do have a shelf life, so purchasing one early will reduce its useful service life to some degree. To maximise its shelf life, you will need to keep it off the ground in a cool dry place where the temperature doesn’t vary too much and recharge it every 3 to 6 months.

I'm thinking the same way but with an Ohhmu Li battery - just don't want to jump the gun by years and end up with a half-used battery!
How many months have people found their original battery has gone before getting the warning? Be useful to know for the various models.

I'm thinking the same way but with an Ohhmu Li battery - just don't want to jump the gun by years and end up with a half-used battery!
How many months have people found their original battery has gone before getting the warning? Be useful to know for the various models.

Model S - had it just share of 5 years....12-volt never had an issue
Model 3 - coming on 2.5 years, no warning or reported issue as of yet
Model X - 4 months until it's 4 years old and dead (new one installed yesterday)