Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X - 12volt battery died

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our Model X's 12-volt battery died today...zero warning and now bricked...Tesla are saying a minimum of 4 weeks for a new 12-volt battery!! They are indicating it could be 2+ months.

A quick search finds alternative brands, that are actually better than Tesla's 12-volt batteries, that can be order and delivered in 7 days (from the USA to Australia).

12V Lithium Battery for TESLA Model X

A $200k car being bricked for 1+ months for a simple 12-volt battery is darn unacceptable....when one can order in a battery independently of Tesla in less than a week it becomes criminal that Tesla is going to make me wait 1-2 months.

Does any one here have experience of what to do in a situation like this?
@EcoCloudIT - did you finally get your 12v battery replaced? how long does it take?
My 2022 Model 3 12v battery died on last Friday only less than 2 months of delivery.

@EcoCloudIT - did you finally get your 12v battery replaced? how long does it take?
My 2022 Model 3 12v battery died on last Friday only less than 2 months of delivery.
Yes, replaced…took 10 days to get the new battery in and Tesla Mobile Service replaced it all in about 30mins.

If the battery had taken any longer to get in Tesla had managed to allocate my wife a Model 3 to drive around.

Did you log a service ticket in the app? The 2022 M3 has the new lithium battery and so your situation is likely to be different.
Tesla replaced with the same Korean made lead acid battery that had failed….since it costs nothing we just put up with it…wasn’t happy about waiting 10 days when this sort of part should be kept in stock.

Parts blamed the lack of battery stock on the lock down in Shanghai, even the though the battery is made in Korea….maybe there is a reason behind that claim or parts simply think we’re stupid.

Just got the 12V warning in my Model S and to book in for service.

This will be the 5th replacement in 7.5 years. I've noticed vampire drain much higher after the MCU2 upgrade, which all gets cycled through the 12V.
I've been keeping an eye on Ohmmu for several years and intend to get one of theirs as soon as I get the first warning unless I get a warranty replacement.

Did you log a service ticket in the app? The 2022 M3 has the new lithium battery and so your situation is likely to be different.
Yeah I booked a service request at the service centre in Richmond but the car is not drivable so not sure how to get my car there. I also rang up roadside assistance and they booked a tow truck. Will service centre send out someone to replace the battery if they have in stock or they want the car to be in?

Yeah I booked a service request at the service centre in Richmond but the car is not drivable so not sure how to get my car there. I also rang up roadside assistance and they booked a tow truck. Will service centre send out someone to replace the battery if they have in stock or they want the car to be in?
Don’t let them tow your car, they have no guarantee that your car will be under cover or indeed even in a secure location (this is what they told me when I asked specific questions). Secondly, Tesla will send out a mobile service chap when they have a battery for you…

Update: my local SC is Richmond also so my reference was in relation to this location

Don’t let them tow your car, they have no guarantee that your car will be under cover or indeed even in a secure location (this is what they told me when I asked specific questions). Secondly, Tesla will send out a mobile service chap when they have a battery for you…

Update: my local SC is Richmond also so my reference was in relation to this location
Great. Thanks for the info @EcoCloudIT

All very well, but many of us are well outside the (small) area the mobile rangers will operate!

Just got the 12V warning in my Model S and to book in for service.

This will be the 5th replacement in 7.5 years. I've noticed vampire drain much higher after the MCU2 upgrade, which all gets cycled through the 12V.
Is the warning a new feature? Do you know how much time between warning and failure? I have had 2 fail and both times no warning and car was undriveable.

Is the warning a new feature? Do you know how much time between warning and failure? I have had 2 fail and both times no warning and car was undriveable.
Sometimes lead acid batteries simply fade to a point where they are too weak for service, sometimes they can be okay one day but the next day have a sudden short. The 12V battery monitor can only detect the first, before it becomes a problem but not the second.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
just to let people know the status: when I picked up the loan M3 from the Richmond SC today I was told that my car rear inverter failed and they ordered the part from China which will take up to 12 weeks to arrive. Ouch!!.
They said this was quite rare as this is only the 2nd case in Australia. since I was told about rear inverter failure, I googled and found that Tesla did a big recall of M3 due to the issue. Tesla Recalls 127,785 Model 3s in China Due to Rear Motor Inverter Defect.

But at least they gave me another M3 to drive until my car is back on the road and all Supercharger will be on Tesla.

just to let people know the status: when I picked up the loan M3 from the Richmond SC today I was told that my car rear inverter failed and they ordered the part from China which will take up to 12 weeks to arrive. Ouch!!.
They said this was quite rare as this is only the 2nd case in Australia. since I was told about rear inverter failure, I googled and found that Tesla did a big recall of M3 due to the issue. Tesla Recalls 127,785 Model 3s in China Due to Rear Motor Inverter Defect.

But at least they gave me another M3 to drive until my car is back on the road and all Supercharger will be on Tesla.
Rack up those km's ;)

Reactions: Hairyman