TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model X 19" rims vs Model S 19" rims.

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by Fiver, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Fiver

Fiver Active Member

Anyone know if the Model X 19" snow tire/rim set that Tesla sells uses the same 19" cyclone rims as were once for sale for Model S?

I'm debating selling my S and getting an X, and I currently have a set of 19" slipstreams that I use for winter tires. Would save me some cash if I could reuse them on the X.

I know the Arachnids won't work on the X, but will the 19" Slipstreams? They are square setup, not staggered.

2. Naonak

Naonak Member

The Model S 19's are different offsets, I believe, and while they will work, I think they might look strange. Maybe someone else can chime in that has tried it?

Maybe I'll pull my Winter 19"s down and try them on for size.

3. Fiver

Fiver Active Member

So far the only thing I can discern is that the Slipstreams that I have are:

Model S 19" OEM Slipstreams
    • Size: 19X8.0". (The winter tire set on shop.tesla.com lists them as 19x8.0J. Not sure what the J means)
    • Offset: +40
    • PCD: 5X120
    • Center Bore: 64.1mm
    • Weight: 29lbs
    • Lug Nut Spec: 13/16 Hex, 14X1.50 Thread
    • Lug Nut Torque Spec: 129 lb-ft
    Model X OEM 19" Snowtire set look like the older "Cyclone" rims no longer offered for Model S.
    • Size: 19X8.5"
    • Offset: +35
    • PCD: 5X120
    • Center Bore: 64.1mm
    • Lug Nut Specs: 13/16, 14X1.50 Thread
    • Lug Nut Torque Spec: 129 lb-ft

The stats for the discontinued Model S Cyclone rims are identical to the Model S Slipstreams that I've listed above.

So the extra 5mm offset causes the tire to be pushing out of the wheel well if I'm reading that correctly? Or is that countered by the fact the S rims are 8" and the X rims are 8.5".

Anyone know if that will interfere with the brake pads? If sizing isn't an issue are the S slipstreams rated to hold the extra weight of the X?

4. Naonak

Naonak Member

The offset is +40, so they will be sunk by 5mm compared to stock. You need a 5mm spacer to get the stock look. I believe that's all you'd need to make it work properly. I don't see that 5mm would make all that much difference if you don't care about looks, anyway.

5. Fiver

Fiver Active Member

Thanks. I guess beyond looking 5mm off center or getting the proper spacer to bringing them to where they should be, would they work then? The only difference I can tell is they are 8" vs 8.5".

6. Naonak

Naonak Member

As far as I know, they should.

7. Tsportline

Tsportline Vendor

The 19x8"+40 Cyclone for the S "may" differ than the 19x8.5"+35 Cyclone for the X in maxload rating.

Tesla does not stamp load ratings on their wheels (except for the Model X Turbine 22", which their Taiwanese contract manufacturer probably does out of internal protocol).

A Model S Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is about 5820-5939lbs (90D-100D).

A Model X Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is 6591-6788 (75D-100D).

There's almost 1000lbs of Gross Vehicle Weight difference between the lightest S and heaviest X. In our world, that means we would have to manufacture a wheel that can hold ~250lbs more load on a Model X.

Our Model S 19" TST is load rated at 750kg / 1650lbs
    Our Model S/X 20" TST is load rated at 900kg / 1980lbs

The big unknown with the Tesla factory wheels is load rating, therefore we would never put wheels from an S on an X.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  8. Fiver

Fiver Active Member

Do you know when you plan on getting your Model X 19" version back in stock? I see it's sold out on your website.