Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X - 20" rims vs. 22" rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if the 22" rims will be as useless as the Model S 21" rims are if you live in New England/anywhere the roads are torn up? There is a drastic difference in the look of the X with/without the 22".....much moreso than the difference of Model S with/without the 21s...in my opinion. Is there any more protection/sidewall for those 22s relative to the 21s? I made the mistake of ordering 21s with my model S. I replaced three of them and after the third I took them off, sold them and went to 19s full time.

The 22's are 265 and 285x35x22R. So they are 35 profile which is 35% of the width in mm. I have these on my other car.... there is no issue with proper driving and care. Don't take to auto car wash. Of course we seldom parallel park here. But with auto-park would be no issue.

The 22's are 265 and 285x35x22R. So they are 35 profile which is 35% of the width in mm. I have these on my other car.... there is no issue with proper driving and care. Don't take to auto car wash. Of course we seldom parallel park here. But with auto-park would be no issue.

Thanks for the specs. Bummer that they'll be so susceptible to damage.

Yes, I am sure there is no issue with those....in Georgia. Roads up here are a disaster from plows, salt, frost heaves, etc. and it's year round.

I had two sets. 19s w/snows for Nov - April amd 21s for April - Oct. No matter how hard you try, you can't avoid all of the potholes around here. Shouldn't be the price you pay. Wish there was something in the middle (for both S and X).

No one knows at this point whether the 20 and 22's Rims for the X will fit the S. My bet is they will have the same bolt pattern and offset since they are on the same "battery and suspension skate". Just need to determine whether the S has sufficient clearance for the inner fender liner, and whether there is any adverse affect on Model S handling. Time will tell. I will bet Tesla will change the S to the 20's and 22's as well.

The S 21's with larger tires could be a good compromise. I have no idea if tires are available in a size that would match or get close to the circumference necessary to minize odometer discrepancies on the X though. I know many have gone with 20's on the S as a compromise too.

Just for information, tirerack has (for some time) Model X tire specs:

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    120.2 KB · Views: 761
Thanks for the specs. Bummer that they'll be so susceptible to damage.

Yes, I am sure there is no issue with those....in Georgia. Roads up here are a disaster from plows, salt, frost heaves, etc. and it's year round.

I had two sets. 19s w/snows for Nov - April amd 21s for April - Oct. No matter how hard you try, you can't avoid all of the potholes around here. Shouldn't be the price you pay. Wish there was something in the middle (for both S and X).

Went through similar with my S. Got aftermarket 19" dark turbines to use with snow tires, and ended up liking the additional range and ride comfort so much I stuck with them year round (with normal tires, not snow, of course). The cost of tire replacement was much cheaper as well.

For the sigs, I think it made sense to take the 22's and then just buy some aftermarket 20's later, but for production, I wouldn't bother personally.

Good information on the 22" tires ... does anyone know if the Model X 20" tires will fit the Model S?

That's a good point. The side wall will be a little (7.5%) taller than 21" on MS because of the width even though they have the same 35 profile. It should be able to absorb shock a little better but that is pure speculation of course.

The S 21's with larger tires could be a good compromise. I have no idea if tires are available in a size that would match or get close to the circumference necessary to minize odometer discrepancies on the X though. I know many have gone with 20's on the S as a compromise too.
The 21s on Elon's Model X at the reveal had to have come from somewhere, probably an S? I know, he's Elon Musk and could have had those things hand made by elves if he wanted, but I think it's likely they were stock from an S.

Personally, I think the 20-inch wheels look too puny on the X, and this is exacerbated by the fact that they're only available in a bright silver color. I'm planning to get the 20-inch wheels and then have them powder-coated after market to dark grey or black. I'm hoping this will actually make the wheels seem larger (since there will be less contrast between wheel and tire) and will make them look more like the 22" wheels. Here are a couple of pics of Elon's Black X with black 21-inch wheels from the reveal. It looks like he also had the suspension at its lowest setting to make the car look even more menacing.

SAM_2676-elons-x-doors-closed.jpg
SAM_2677-elons-x-open-doors.jpg

Based on our knowledge, Model X 22" setup specs out at 22x9.0 front and 22x10.0. The front wheel in theory can be used for the S (front and rear). We anticipate the 22x10" rear Turbine wheel off the Model X to be a tad aggressive in offset for the Model S.

We will have a 20" cross offering for the X & S.

No one knows at this point whether the 20 and 22's Rims for the X will fit the S. My bet is they will have the same bolt pattern and offset since they are on the same "battery and suspension skate". Just need to determine whether the S has sufficient clearance for the inner fender liner, and whether there is any adverse affect on Model S handling. Time will tell. I will bet Tesla will change the S to the 20's and 22's as well.

Model X 20" tires will not fit Model S. Overall tire rolling diameter much bigger than an S.

On the other hand, 20" Model X wheels will probably fit but the design just doesn't look as good as the Model X 22" turbine. The spokes look flattened out and plain with no depth or curvature. I've already been picking at T Sportline for advice on my Model X Sig.

Good information on the 22" tires ... does anyone know if the Model X 20" tires will fit the Model S?

Model X - 20" rims vs. 22" rims

I'd love to get the 22s, but as the Model Xes will eventually be inserted into my work fleet, I'd rather the 20s as they'll be much cheaper to maintain (and a softer ride for clients)

Last edited:
A couple of pix may help some visualize: First is the sticker from Elon's Car for the size. Second is the actual picture of the 285x35x22R on my car so you can see the profile and make decision on wheels and rims. BTW, no rash on my rims in nearly 4 years.

Model X Tire spec 22''.jpg
20151126_133529[1].jpg

Based on our knowledge, Model X 22" setup specs out at 22x9.0 front and 22x10.0. The front wheel in theory can be used for the S (front and rear).
We anticipate the 22x10" rear Turbine wheel off the Model X to be a tad aggressive in offset for the Model S. We will have a 20" cross offering for the X & S.

What is the offset of the Model X wheels... 40mm?

Model X 20" tires will not fit Model S. Overall tire rolling diameter much bigger than an S.
On the other hand, 20" Model X wheels will probably fit but the design just doesn't look as good as the Model X 22" turbine.
The spokes look flattened out and plain with no depth or curvature. I've already been picking at T Sportline for advice on my Model X Sig.

The 22" tires are 265 and 285x35x22 ... what are the specs on the 20" tires?

- - - Updated - - -

Good looking wheels ... what are the specs?

A couple of pix may help some visualize: First is the sticker from Elon's Car for the size. Second is the actual picture of the 285x35x22R on my car so you can see the profile and make decision on wheels and rims. BTW, no rash on my rims in nearly 4 years.

View attachment 102240View attachment 102241