Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X - 20" rims vs. 22" rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone. Im a brand new member and this is my very first post here although I've been a member of similar forums having owned an X5 and Panamera currently.

I got into big trbl changing wheels on both cars by ignoring weight and offsets.

I want to make sure I do this right this time with a Model X scheduled for delivery at the end of this month.

I ordered my Model X with the standard 20" wheels with the intention of replacing them with aftermarket but same size wheels. But I'm reading conflicting info on this particular thread. It seems that everyone is in agreement that the offsets for the Model X 20" wheel setup are 35 front 40 rear with a 20x9.0 front wheel. But I'm seeing some ppl state the rear rim is 20x9.5 and some 20x10.0.

Anybody have any clarity on the disparity (pardon the rhyme)? Also, the wheel I chose has a hub bore of 72.6. I know I can use hubcentric rings. Does anyone foresee this being a fitment problem or can offer any advice based on experience?

Thanks in advance.

Let's put the speculation to sleep and help you out.
Here are pictures of the back of a Model X base model 20" wheel (load rating 880kg):
Model X 20 front.jpg Model X 20 rear.jpg

Our TST sizes for the Model X is 20x9.0"+35 front , 20x10.0"+40 rear. All 20" TST wheels are load rated at 900kg.

Hello everyone. Im a brand new member and this is my very first post here although I've been a member of similar forums having owned an X5 and Panamera currently.

I got into big trbl changing wheels on both cars by ignoring weight and offsets.

I want to make sure I do this right this time with a Model X scheduled for delivery at the end of this month.

I ordered my Model X with the standard 20" wheels with the intention of replacing them with aftermarket but same size wheels. But I'm reading conflicting info on this particular thread. It seems that everyone is in agreement that the offsets for the Model X 20" wheel setup are 35 front 40 rear with a 20x9.0 front wheel. But I'm seeing some ppl state the rear rim is 20x9.5 and some 20x10.0.

Anybody have any clarity on the disparity (pardon the rhyme)? Also, the wheel I chose has a hub bore of 72.6. I know I can use hubcentric rings. Does anyone foresee this being a fitment problem or can offer any advice based on experience?

Thanks in advance.

Let's put the speculation to sleep and help you out.
Here are pictures of the back of a Model X base model 20" wheel (load rating 880kg):
View attachment 171414 View attachment 171415

Our TST sizes for the Model X is 20x9.0"+35 front , 20x10.0"+40 rear. All 20" TST wheels are load rated at 900kg.
So, um, I don't know if anyone has pointed this out yet but your picture of the rear 20 x 10 stock wheels shows the offset as being +35 not +40.

I must say, those are truly beautiful wheels. I'd love a pair for my Midnight Silver X. :)
I think this is what Tesla had in mind originally with their Carbon Wheelset, prior to switching to the Black Onyx.
Why does everyone keep thinking that the Carbon wheels would have been gray? The color of the wheels in the design studio never changed. I know as I've had access since before the name change. I believe they changed the name to better reflect the actual color of the wheels, not the color of the wheels. ;-)

• Funny
Reactions: Snerruc
I have a set of 21" rims from my Model S that I'd like to use on the S. I don't understand offsets and such...

Can I use these rims with the right sized tires on the X?
Any guess on what the impact to range will be, given that the impact on range of 22's is around 15%
How "low profile" would those tires be, compared to the 21's on a S or 22's on an X?

It's been more than a year since the X has been out. I'm curious to see how your 22" wheels (Carbon/Onyx or the regular Silver) tires/rims are holding up. Have you had to replace any tires? Any damaged wheels? If you've had you're car less than a year, please share your experience so far.

No rim damage whatsoever. I'm pretty cautious with them around curbs though as I have curbed wheels before and find it highly unpleasant on par with hearing fingernails on a chalkboard. :eek::p

I have had my rear tires replaced but not because they wore out. At one point I got a strange shimmy I could feel only on the newest, smoothest pavement on the highway at highway speeds. The SvC checked them while in for having other delivery niggles corrected and found that they failed their road force balancing so they replaced them.

I drive in the "Low" suspension setting all the time and realize this may lead to premature tire wear (especially in the rear) so I will keep an eye on that. But since the rear tires have already been replaced I haven't seen any yet.

Oh yeah, I have just over 5000 miles currently. The tires were swapped at ~2500 miles.

Cheers!

I've had the 22" Black Onyx rims/tires for 8 months and 9,000 miles. I too am very careful in drives and around curbs. No damage at all. But I stress care is needed and I have had low profile tires on cars for more than 10 years. No drive through car washes. Watch those drive through banking lanes. Use the mirrors as well as the sensors when parallel parking, etc. Most commonly, when you park in that last parking place to protect from door dings.... REMEMBER, there is a curb on the other side of the car :)

Reactions: Maaz and bugZPDX
Do you guys (with 22" wheels) go easy when accelerating? I know hard acceleration will wear the tires out much faster... Do you "baby" the car when driving/accelerating? I want to know what kind of extra precautions to take....