Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 2015 deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you considered telling Tesla you'd be open-minded to a Tahoe delivery this week? Might be worth a try in case Tesla wants to bump up the delivery numbers a bit for 2015.

I thought about it (and I thought I half jokingly mentioned it to my DS), but I'm not sure they have any way to really make that happen on such short notice. If they'd wanted the +1 for 2015 badly enough, I had given them plenty of warning I was going to be in Tahoe this whole week. In fact I mentioned it a couple of times and for some reason my DS still offered up Wednesday for pickup, which I thought was a little odd. I suspect at this point it's a bit late for them to get it onto a truck and up here somewhere (along with making all of the other arrangements for paperwork, etc.). On top of that, the place we're staying only has one parking spot available so I'm not sure where I'd put it. I figure at this point I have a good excuse to play hooky from work for a bit on Monday the 4th (currently scheduled for an 11am delivery appointment).

*long time* lurker here

I took delivery of Sig #64 last Sunday. Sig #25 was also delivered to some guys who rolled up in a pretty sick looking I8.
It was all hands on deck at the Burbank service center (sadly no Elon!) just to deliver 2 cars.
Busy time of year, so I have had limited experience with the car and am not going to write much, but at this stage, there is *zero chance* you could feel good handing the keys to a valet in a tight parking situation. Ironically this is more due to the auto front door which pops out to about 45 degrees unless it hits something (its a little late at that stage). Good thing all hands were on deck because my driver side door kept autoclosing at random times, and the tech had to run a calibration sequence on it which seems to make it better (kind of funny to watch him get hit by the overanxious front door time and time again while running the sequence). I had a couple other gripes which honestly should be firmware addressable. I somewhat believe that will happen in a short period of time.
I did try the autopilot (which I don't have on my S) and it couldn't track a hard curve around 10mph above speed limits on a very well marked highway. Its somewhat possible the S would have handled that curve without intervention but when they say "the auto pilot is more or less the same" that can be good or bad. I was surprised how rigidly it sticks to the middle of the lane, it makes for a very jerky ride. Seems to be no effort to start on the outside of a turn and finish on the inside. Even 1 foot would be make a huge difference for ride quality and safety (especially since everyone else is naturally going to be doing it). Anyway, probably on the to-do list.

Everyone's experience will be different, but I had Model S, Sig 603 and I can say the early adopter penalty feels much greater this time around. I can see why deliveries are slow. Hope they work it all out soon- I probably sold 4-5 Model S's for Tesla in the early days when it really counted, but I could not recommend this to anyone right now on an as-is basis.

*long time* lurker here

I took delivery of Sig #64 last Sunday. Sig #25 was also delivered to some guys who rolled up in a pretty sick looking I8.
It was all hands on deck at the Burbank service center (sadly no Elon!) just to deliver 2 cars.
Busy time of year, so I have had limited experience with the car and am not going to write much, but at this stage, there is *zero chance* you could feel good handing the keys to a valet in a tight parking situation. Ironically this is more due to the auto front door which pops out to about 45 degrees unless it hits something (its a little late at that stage). Good thing all hands were on deck because my driver side door kept autoclosing at random times, and the tech had to run a calibration sequence on it which seems to make it better (kind of funny to watch him get hit by the overanxious front door time and time again while running the sequence). I had a couple other gripes which honestly should be firmware addressable. I somewhat believe that will happen in a short period of time.
I did try the autopilot (which I don't have on my S) and it couldn't track a hard curve around 10mph above speed limits on a very well marked highway. Its somewhat possible the S would have handled that curve without intervention but when they say "the auto pilot is more or less the same" that can be good or bad. I was surprised how rigidly it sticks to the middle of the lane, it makes for a very jerky ride. Seems to be no effort to start on the outside of a turn and finish on the inside. Even 1 foot would be make a huge difference for ride quality and safety (especially since everyone else is naturally going to be doing it). Anyway, probably on the to-do list.

Everyone's experience will be different, but I had Model S, Sig 603 and I can say the early adopter penalty feels much greater this time around. I can see why deliveries are slow. Hope they work it all out soon- I probably sold 4-5 Model S's for Tesla in the early days when it really counted, but I could not recommend this to anyone right now on an as-is basis.
Everyone's experience is different I guess. My wife and I have the opposite feeling.

In fact, we have a loaner S while an X part is replaced and my wife asked if the S had changed because she couldn't believe we have ever considered the S. She feels so much better in the X than the S that she made that comment. That is not meant to degrade the S in any way, it just shows her preference for the "feel" of the X vs the S.

Pics?

*long time* lurker here

- - - Updated - - -

Pics?

*long time* lurker here

That's really too bad. I'm hopeful they work it out for you soon as well, and you can get to enjoying your MX. This jives a bit with the chatter that the SCs are overwhelmed with cleaning up some manufacturing issues prior to delivery (which also jives with the fact that there are a lot of MX sitting at SCs right now). I feel quite sure they'll make it right. Hopefully that'll happen before you sour on the car and experience too much.

Everyone's experience is different I guess. My wife and I have the opposite feeling.

In fact, we have a loaner S while an X part is replaced and my wife asked if the S had changed because she couldn't believe we have ever considered the S. She feels so much better in the X than the S that she made that comment. That is not meant to degrade the S in any way, it just shows her preference for the "feel" of the X vs the S.
Not going to totally disagree with you. The X is a great ride in many ways, I certainly prefer it (though my comp is an early model S) and is way more functional for many of those who can garage it. There's some kinks to be worked out (your car is already back with tesla and I sense mine will be soon). The fact that there's no way you could let a valet take it is a serious problem if you think about the demographics. I also am fairly unsure about what this sonar in the falcon wings will detect (tree branches are not obviously detectable, yet something you need to avoid). I can forgive alot of these things for now but they do create anxiety which takes alot away from the experience. I am quite sure most people need things to be simpler and more fault tolerant. (what happens if the passenger hits "door close" on the FWD when its already closed. In an elevator its fine, with the X it appears to be nothing good, though I don't want to repeat that experience).
I don't know if it was mentioned to you at delivery but "don't open both doors on the same side since the doors could collide as they are opening" is something that shouldn't have made it into production since each door is powered and software controllable.

Sorry no pics for anyone, just the wrong time for me to be trying to juggle taking a new car. (I understand that doesn't get much sympathy on TMC)
I still think its a hard recommend as-is unless its to a person willing to be pretty patient. Maybe another couple of delivery and the first firmware upgrade alleviates 85% of the problems. The good news is that the the negative surprises seem to have calmed down and we're mostly figuring out how not to break/scratch these doors.

First and second post without any pics?

and a lot of conflict info with other owners?

Not going to totally disagree with you. The X is a great ride in many ways, I certainly prefer it (though my comp is an early model S) and is way more functional for many of those who can garage it. There's some kinks to be worked out (your car is already back with tesla and I sense mine will be soon). The fact that there's no way you could let a valet take it is a serious problem if you think about the demographics. I also am fairly unsure about what this sonar in the falcon wings will detect (tree branches are not obviously detectable, yet something you need to avoid). I can forgive alot of these things for now but they do create anxiety which takes alot away from the experience. I am quite sure most people need things to be simpler and more fault tolerant. (what happens if the passenger hits "door close" on the FWD when its already closed. In an elevator its fine, with the X it appears to be nothing good, though I don't want to repeat that experience).
I don't know if it was mentioned to you at delivery but "don't open both doors on the same side since the doors could collide as they are opening" is something that shouldn't have made it into production since each door is powered and software controllable.

Sorry no pics for anyone, just the wrong time for me to be trying to juggle taking a new car. (I understand that doesn't get much sympathy on TMC)
I still think its a hard recommend as-is unless its to a person willing to be pretty patient. Maybe another couple of delivery and the first firmware upgrade alleviates 85% of the problems. The good news is that the the negative surprises seem to have calmed down and we're mostly figuring out how not to break/scratch these doors.

First and second post without any pics?

and a lot of conflict info with other owners?
What in particular is in conflict with what others have said? I'm not going to pretend to be an expert, and I haven't read the manual. Nor have I really had the time to go through the posts the way I'd like. I get the whole "pics or i didn't happen" thing but whatever crummy pics I could have taken in the time I've had with the car wouldn't add much. If you think about when I put down a deposit on this car to get #64, you should take it for granted that I've been looking forward to the car and wish I had more time to play with it/ research it.

What in particular is in conflict with what others have said? I'm not going to pretend to be an expert, and I haven't read the manual. Nor have I really had the time to go through the posts the way I'd like. I get the whole "pics or i didn't happen" thing but whatever crummy pics I could have taken in the time I've had with the car wouldn't add much. If you think about when I put down a deposit on this car to get #64, you should take it for granted that I've been looking forward to the car and wish I had more time to play with it/ research it.

Yeah u have a lot of time to create long comments, and just have no time to upload pics. Read other owners' reviews with pics ( so many conflicts) and try to create another better faked one with another account

I also am fairly unsure about what this sonar in the falcon wings will detect (tree branches are not obviously detectable, yet something you need to avoid).
Congratulations on becoming an early X owner.
A question about your post. I am not sure if you intended to say "Tree branches are obviously not detectable by the ultrasonic sensors in the doors" (an assumption that I believe may be unfounded) or "Tree branches may not be detected by the door sensors" (which seems reasonable).
If it is the latter, it seems that the human opening the Falcon Wing door, whether inside or outside the car, should simply take note of any possible obstructions, branches or something else, and exercise caution. From inside the car the person can stop the doors from opening farther by using the toggle switch on the B pillar. From outside the car I suppose one could reach up and give a slight tug on the door and it would stop. You could try doing that and report back.
With the current sensor technology one cannot assume that the doors will detect possible obstructions with minimal mass, like a single thin branch or something like a thin wire.