Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 2017 P100D VS 2018 100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Everyone - this is my first post and im excited to join the tesla community!

Currently doing my due diligence. I was originally looking at 2018 MX 100D but realized the 2017 MX P100D was in the same price range.

The main things I’m looking at when comparing the two are range, depreciation, and the production year/month.

Overall... it seems like the P100D would be a better value buy but im curious if I am missing something here. Looking for some additional thoughts!

Range
I plan on taking this vehicle on road trips and I'm curious if theres a noticeable difference between the P100D and 100D. The P100D is rated for 289 and the 100D is rated for 295, a negligible difference. However, not sure how the actual numbers compare.
Does this slight range actually provide any kind of advantage? My daily commute is minimal and from playing around with the Tesla Trip planner, it looks like the distance between each recommended super charger is less than 200 miles. Seems like any extra range might not even matter?

Depreciation
The P100D MSRPd for $145-$170 while the 100D was around $100-$120. Although the depreciation of the P100D is scary, it seems like a better value? Also want to take note of how much MORE the car will depreciate in the coming years. Assuming Tesla’s follows somewhat of a traditional depreciation curve, both the vehicles depreciation should be slowing down over the next few years with the greatest hit being in the first 4-5 years. Would you expect the P100D to keep dropping like it has been since it’s a performance vehicle? + with the Model Y ramping up and Cyber Truck coming... thoughts on how this will effect the MX value?

Production Year/Month
From what I have gathered, the biggest difference in 2017/2018 is the MCU. With that, I will just be making sure whatever vehicle I get has already updated to MCU 2+. Other differences I’ve read of have been the back of seats changing from glossy to matte, 7 seat config changed to folding bench, and alcantara dash. All of which are not too big of a concern to me. Is there anything else I am missing? One of my bigger concerns is the falcon wing doors/sensors but I do not believe they made any updates around this time. Any other updates or issues I need to take into consideration?

TLDR; is a 2017 P100D a better option than a 2018 100D?

P100D has less range than the 100D. If you don't enjoy speed, the 100D will be newer and have more range. Upgrading the MCU is a few grand. All Xs are going to have the same general issues. Given the current market, looking towards the future is just speculation. Yes, vehicles depreciate, but most of that depreciation has already hit for the years you are looking at. Considering Elon said they're backlogged for almost a year and are considering turning away preorders I probably wouldn't bank on vehicle prices coming down in the near future.

Reactions: blodg1
unless you are a speed demon, like to show off the acceleration and like to race a lot, go for the 2018 MX100D. Mileage also matters. I had the same thoughts when first purchasing my MX100D. People are very impressed with the standard acceleration of the non-P and it will still impress. I have taken many long trips and it is a very comfortable ride, and I love the falcon wing doors and how easy it is to get in and out of the second and third row (I have a 6 seater). If you go for the P100D you'll probably find you use the acceleration as a demo 1-2 times a year if that much. Unless of course you race. It has to be a little harder on the batteries for the rapid draw. I have Supercharged probably 85% of the 55,000 miles on mine, and my diagnostics shows me that I am at about 290 miles on a full charge, and my battery is about 91.5 kw from the original 100 kw.

P100D has less range than the 100D. If you don't enjoy speed, the 100D will be newer and have more range. Upgrading the MCU is a few grand. All Xs are going to have the same general issues. Given the current market, looking towards the future is just speculation. Yes, vehicles depreciate, but most of that depreciation has already hit for the years you are looking at. Considering Elon said they're backlogged for almost a year and are considering turning away preorders I probably wouldn't bank on vehicle prices coming down in the near future.

unless you are a speed demon, like to show off the acceleration and like to race a lot, go for the 2018 MX100D. Mileage also matters. I had the same thoughts when first purchasing my MX100D. People are very impressed with the standard acceleration of the non-P and it will still impress. I have taken many long trips and it is a very comfortable ride, and I love the falcon wing doors and how easy it is to get in and out of the second and third row (I have a 6 seater). If you go for the P100D you'll probably find you use the acceleration as a demo 1-2 times a year if that much. Unless of course you race. It has to be a little harder on the batteries for the rapid draw. I have Supercharged probably 85% of the 55,000 miles on mine, and my diagnostics shows me that I am at about 290 miles on a full charge, and my battery is about 91.5 kw from the original 100 kw.

Thanks for your inputs.

I do enjoy speed and think ludicrous mode would be a cool party trick but not if it sacrifices important range - which im still unclear if it does. I know the P100D has LESS range, but does anyone have a gauge of how much less?

The mileage of the P100D im looking at are fairly low, under 50,000 so im not concerned about that. They are both also 6 seats but I am looking for the 7 seater with the foldable second row.. seems like its very rare to find.

And to note, the owners of the P100D say they are at ~270 miles at a full charge

I think you already provided all the information you need to compare efficiencies:
The P100D is rated for 289 and the 100D is rated for 295
Same battery, right? Pretty sure the math is exactly what you think it would be:
289/295 =0.98

So there it is, a 2% difference. I personally would ignore that. P is more fun, even if it's only once a year.

Also on the P, 270 max (compared with an original 289) is only 6.5% capacity reduction (aka 'degradation') which is pretty good after five years...

Reactions: buckets0fun
I think you already provided all the information you need to compare efficiencies:

Same battery, right? Pretty sure the math is exactly what you think it would be:
289/295 =0.98

So there it is, a 2% difference. I personally would ignore that. P is more fun, even if it's only once a year.

Also on the P, 270 max (compared with an original 289) is only 6.5% capacity reduction (aka 'degradation') which is pretty good after five years...

I wanted to make sure i wasnt overlooking anything because people seem to make a big difference in range but on paper it is quite small. i guess the fact that in the performance model you have more power its harder to resist a heavy foot so that probably skus actual numbers a lot.

agree on the degradation! happy i dont have to worry about that much

Reactions: Harvey Danger
I cannot remember when they went to auto pilot version 2. Also the cameras have to be upgraded on the 2017, I think. Those are things you should consider. AP2 is way more Valuable than AP1.

Besides all that there are numerous small updates that Tesla does continually. I myself would be tempted to the year newer model. It depends, on what month it was built. For instance my 2014 S is a December model, almost no different from a 2015 January model. 3 months earlier was dramatically different.

I cannot remember when they went to auto pilot version 2. Also the cameras have to be upgraded on the 2017, I think. Those are things you should consider. AP2 is way more Valuable than AP1.

Besides all that there are numerous small updates that Tesla does continually. I myself would be tempted to the year newer model. It depends, on what month it was built. For instance my 2014 S is a December model, almost no different from a 2015 January model. 3 months earlier was dramatically different.

I'd argue AP1 is the best implementation of "autopilot". Radar based, stable, doesn't randomly disengage when the light changes, and you get a bunch of features that Tesla charges for now.

it looks like the distance between each recommended super charger is less than 200 miles. Seems like any extra range might not even matter?
Just wanting to be sure you are aware that Tesla rated miles aren’t the same thing as actual miles. Depending on wheel size, tires, weather, elevation changes, speed and driving style, there can be a hefty effect that people can’t drive as many actual miles as the rated miles. And because you don’t drive an EV from 100% to 0% battery, there is even more reason why no one drives the rated miles between charges. Not to mention that you are looking at 4 to 5 year old cars that will have varying amounts of battery degradation.

To address your specific question, the difference between a 100D rated at 295 miles when it was new and P100D rated at 289 miles when new is totally negligible. So many other factors that dominate the distance the car can go.
I cannot remember when they went to auto pilot version 2. Also the cameras have to be upgraded on the 2017, I think.
AP 2.0 to AP 2.5 happened around August 2017. My 2017 MX was built in September 2017 and now that it has had the MCU2 upgrade, it is essentially the same as a 2018. No camera changes needed for mine.

Not sure if you know but the 100DX had an uncorking for certain VIn’s forward. Sort of like an Acceleration boost. Brought 0-60 down to 4.2 sec I think from 4.8 sec. I used to own one so I know :)

Maybe that also helps but make sure if 2018, you check for that ability or whether it’s been done…in addition to MCU2 etc

Not sure if you know but the 100DX had an uncorking for certain VIn’s forward. Sort of like an Acceleration boost. Brought 0-60 down to 4.2 sec I think from 4.8 sec. I used to own one so I know :)

Maybe that also helps but make sure if 2018, you check for that ability or whether it’s been done…in addition to MCU2 etc
Know this is an older post but was curious how you can tell one has been uncorked?