Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 2017

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

vivrulez

Dec 19, 2020
NC
Hello, I have a Model 3 2019 and thinking of getting an used MX 2017. Obviously MX 2020 is $30k - 40k more and it's quite out of reach for me. MX 2017 good option? Any major hardware difference that I should know before jumping in? Or should I go for MX2018 spending little bit more money?

2017 will probably not have MCU2 ($2,500 upgrade), but it will support FSD if you get (or if it comes with HW3). I think all of the inventory MX's on Tesla's site come as FSD Capable, so that means they have HW3 (or you can schedule HW3 upgrade for free).

All 2017’s have MCU1 which was nothing but trouble for me. If you go with a 2017, you should plan to spend another $2500 to upgrade to MCU2. MCU2 started with March 2018.

Here is a link to a list I compiled this past summer of some of the timing of design changes that have been made to the model X.

As there are so many changes that Tesla is always making, a complete list is very difficult. But here are some highlights that I pieced together. The dates are approximate, + a month. Im sure others won’t be shy to point out what I have wrong.
  • Jan 2017 - Free supercharging no longer stays with life of car; only activated for current owner.
  • March 2017 - Back of Seats changed from glossy to matte
  • July 2017 - 7 seat configuration changed from mono-post to bench
  • Summer 2017 (?) - alcantara dash removed
  • August 2017 - HW2.5
  • March 2018 - MCU2
  • July 2018 - Premium Upgrade Package (PUP) part of base price
  • Summer 2018 - removed some configuration options, such as textile seats
  • Spring 2019 - Raven introduced - motor and suspension changes (325 mile)
  • Summer 2019 - black headliner (no light option)
  • October 2019 - Front seats changed. No longer movable headrest
  • January 2020 - long range plus (351 miles)
More helpful than the VIN is just the manufactured date, which is on the driver’s side door sticker. Tesla always shows a picture of it in its used listings.

When shopping for ones older than mid-2018, be aware that options and how they were packaged changed often. For example the auto-open driver’s door, a marquis of the model X, was once an option.

I have a Sept 2017 100D that started as HW2.5 and MCU1 and has recently been upgraded to HW3 and MCU2. I think the upgrades available (to HW3 for FSD) and MCU2 (for $2500) make the older cars viable options. Here are a few graphics that further help on autopilot and MCU changes.

View attachment 568992 View attachment 568993

I purchased a used '17 P100D in Oct. Decided to go for the used and not new as you mentioned was 30-40K in savings. I promptly upgraded the MCU which gave me the HW3 for free. The MCU1 was struggling when I purchased it, and although Tesla was willing to do the mem swapout, the MCU2 and new HW was worth the $2500 imho.

I'm overall happy with the user purchase, my only regret is not knowing how the previous owner treated the battery for it's first 25k miles. Being a former lease, have not too high of hopes there.

Reactions: P85_DA
Hello, I have a Model 3 2019 and thinking of getting an used MX 2017. Obviously MX 2020 is $30k - 40k more and it's quite out of reach for me. MX 2017 good option? Any major hardware difference that I should know before jumping in? Or should I go for MX2018 spending little bit more money?
Like you’re planning to do, I went from a Model 3 (mine was a 2018), to a used 2017 Model X earlier this year. Mine was an April 2017 build, so I had the newer matte seat backs (instead of shiny). I had to pay the $2500 upgrade for the MCU; no regrets there. If cargo capacity is a big deal for you, be aware that the 7-seater Xs built after July 2017 will have a significantly larger amount of space due to the fold flat second row, as opposed to the pedestals. I think the pedestal seats are much more comfortable for your passengers, but that’s just my opinion.

I recently bought a used 2017. Let me be the flip side of the coin. We have MCU1 and have no plans to get MCU2. At this point we'd be paying $2500 for a little bit faster touch screen and the ability to have Netflix (which I rarely use in our Model 3 as it is). I think it would need to come down to $1500 or less for us to consider it, which it won't. And mostly that would be to help resale someday.

I recently bought a used 2017. Let me be the flip side of the coin. We have MCU1 and have no plans to get MCU2. At this point we'd be paying $2500 for a little bit faster touch screen and the ability to have Netflix (which I rarely use in our Model 3 as it is). I think it would need to come down to $1500 or less for us to consider it, which it won't. And mostly that would be to help resale someday.
Different experiences for different people. Happy if MCU1 is ok for you. It was a disaster for me. It’s not just a touchscreen responsiveness or wanting Netflix, but from the time the car was new, I had problems with:
- screen blacking out and rebooting (often at in opportune times)
- up to 5 min to Calc a navigation reroute (while I’m guessing turns in an area I don’t know and having to turn on my phone’s navigation)
- sporadic loss of turn signal sound,
- periods of high phantom drain.
I had no idea some of these could be linked to MCU1, but the problems all disappeared with the MCU2 upgrade. Also I like the additional dashcam views saved, being able to review dashcam/sentry in the car, having side cameras available along with the rear camera view - all things made possible by MCU2. There are even more things enabled by MCU2 if the car is AP2. And if it doesn’t have FSD, the MCU2 upgrade will also also include the HW3 upgrade.

I’m sure there are many who will never chose to do the MCU2 upgrade but I would hope anyone considering a pre-March 2018 used car will look into the concerns and benefits.

• Love
Different experiences for different people. Happy if MCU1 is ok for you. It was a disaster for me. It’s not just a touchscreen responsiveness or wanting Netflix, but from the time the car was new, I had problems with:
- screen blacking out and rebooting (often at in opportune times)
- up to 5 min to Calc a navigation reroute (while I’m guessing turns in an area I don’t know and having to turn on my phone’s navigation)
- sporadic loss of turn signal sound,
- periods of high phantom drain.
I had no idea some of these could be linked to MCU1, but the problems all disappeared with the MCU2 upgrade. Also I like the additional dashcam views saved, being able to review dashcam/sentry in the car, having side cameras available along with the rear camera view - all things made possible by MCU2. There are even more things enabled by MCU2 if the car is AP2. And if it doesn’t have FSD, the MCU2 upgrade will also also include the HW3 upgrade.

I’m sure there are many who will never chose to do the MCU2 upgrade but I would hope anyone considering a pre-March 2018 used car will look into the concerns and benefits.
Excellent points. There are definitely lots of updates for MCU2. I didn't mean to imply those were the only ones. But as far as the screen blacking out, that now should be covered under Tesla's new warranty for the memory card.

Does MCU1 support The latest FSD Hardware 3.0?

If I’m considering a 2017 and it has FSD purchased and former owner or myself bring it using to get the latest HW does it even function? If not I would think the MCU2 upgrade should be on Tesla but that is high hopes to say the least.

Is this scenario different if private party or through Tesla’s used inventory?

it’s funny to say that a 2017 is an old car lol. Garbage

2016s were not available with FSD, right?

I'm overall happy with the user purchase, my only regret is not knowing how the previous owner treated the battery for it's first 25k miles. Being a former lease, have not too high of hopes there.
You can use a scan tool and ScanMyTesla app to see how much AC vs DC charging was done to let you know how close you are to limited supercharging. If you plan on charging at home most of the time this is probably not that important.

Reactions: WinterX
Does MCU1 support The latest FSD Hardware 3.0?

If I’m considering a 2017 and it has FSD purchased and former owner or myself bring it using to get the latest HW does it even function? If not I would think the MCU2 upgrade should be on Tesla but that is high hopes to say the least.

MCU1 does support FSD. If this is passed to you, then they would automatically upgrade to HW3 to support the FSD, although with MCU1 you would not get all of the visualizations that you would with MCU2. You would still get all of the Advanced Auto Pilot functions until FSD is released.

There is pretty much zero benefit of buying a 2018 or early 2019 MX. A 2017 with MCU upgrade is pretty much identical but far cheaper. The only time it’s every worth upgrading is for a Raven with upgraded range and suspension. If you’re going to buy a pre-Raven; a 2017 w/ MCU2 is the best way to go.

I own a March 2017 delivery X 100D, the first time the non-Performance 100D version was available. I added all the options, many that don't show up in my car's details on my account page.

The key non-appearance options to look for, all of which are standard now, are:
High Amperage Charger Upgrade
Premium Upgrades Package
Ultra High Fidelity Sound
Subzero Weather Package
Towing Package

And of course the more obvious:
Enhanced Autopilot
Full Self-Driving Capability

A car with all of those options and an MCU2 upgrade (and HW3) should be very much like any pre-Raven Model X. The Raven version added a more sophisticated version of the air suspension and better energy efficiency. That's pretty much when my car became antiquated.

We have a 3 as well, though we started with the X. You might be surprised how slow the MCU1 can be. Ours functioned just fine, but without most of the games, Sentry videos, TeslaCam, Netflix, and a useful browser. Plus the MCU1 has the eMMC that is an almost certain failure waiting to happen. I'd plan on getting the MCU2 upgrade (hopefully with the free HW3 computer if you don't have HW3) and avoid all the little but constant disappointments of MCU1.

Reactions: Bigriver
Thank for the input all. We have 2015 S and a 3 so I definitely know the user interface difference between the two. Looking to maybe swap the S for a X. I keep flip flopping between the 17 or 18 because of the mono pod seats versus fold down 2nd row.

the other thing I’m concerned about is throttled supercharging speeds... I’m not sure if all Xs and battery trims of those years are subject to this.

Last edited:
Thank for the input all. We have 2015 S and a 3 so I definitely know the user interface difference between the two. Looking to maybe swap the S for a X. I keep flip flopping between the 17 or 18 because of the mono pod seats versus fold down 2nd row.
the other thing I’m concerned about is throttled supercharging speeds... I’m not sure if all Xs and battery trims of those years are subject to this.
The change between monopost and fold down seats was the middle of 2017. 7-seaters from the 2nd half of the year have the fold down design. Also HW2.5.

I think all Tesla batteries will eventually have fast charging speeds capped after a certain amount of fast charging. I think my September 2017 build has recently been capped. I’m at about 41k miles and mostly use this car for long trips and a high percentage of charging has been with superchargers. On my most recent trip I noticed a consistent peak of only 107 kW. I went back into my Teslafi data and found a sample of a very similar charge, similar temps, and this slower rate only cost me about 4 minutes. Here are the specifics:

Feb 2020 - 21% to 68% in 27 min @ 23 F. 141 kW peak

Dec 2020 - 21% to 69% in 31 min @ 32 F. 107 kW peak

This is no big deal to me, and re-confirms to me that the peak charge rate isn’t the controlling factor. I do wish that Tesla would provide more info on when this will happen and notification when capping has happened. It’s left to us to deduce from observations.

I’m also aware that in my model 3 at a 250 kW SC I have gone from 13% to 90% in 30 minutes. So a capped, or non-capped, 2017 MX is not going to charge as fast. Time for a longer walk or more leisurely meal.