Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 2018 Tire rotation left and right

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I am sure this might have been answered before, but I could not find it.

I have 2018 Model X, due to different front/back tire size, cannot do normal tire rotation. Last year I installed MICHELIN tires at America's tires in Bay area. Could I ask them to do left/right rotation and balance every 5000 miles? First set of tire come with the car only lasted 20,000 miles, without any rotation. When the tire got replaced, the back 2 tires clearly worn on inside, outside is still in very good shape.

I would appreciated anyone could share their experience if they have done left/right rotation on all wheel drive model X, staggered setup.

I remember when I asked Tesla SC person, he said I should not do it, since I paid the price for model X, I should be able to accept the fact that a set of new tires could only last 20,000 miles on it.

Regards,

Hi, I am sure this might have been answered before, but I could not find it.

I have 2018 Model X, due to different front/back tire size, cannot do normal tire rotation. Last year I installed MICHELIN tires at America's tires in Bay area. Could I ask them to do left/right rotation and balance every 5000 miles? First set of tire come with the car only lasted 20,000 miles, without any rotation. When the tire got replaced, the back 2 tires clearly worn on inside, outside is still in very good shape.

I would appreciated anyone could share their experience if they have done left/right rotation on all wheel drive model X, staggered setup.

I remember when I asked Tesla SC person, he said I should not do it, since I paid the price for model X, I should be able to accept the fact that a set of new tires could only last 20,000 miles on it.

Regards,
I have always gotten more than 40,000 miles out of even the OEM Continentals (20 inch), and I have never rotated tires. I realize others here have not been so lucky. I asked once at the SC, they told me, my tires are wearing very evenly, there was no need to rotate them. Now, I have made sure the wheel alignment is dead on. Besides reduced tire wear, a good alignment also reduces energy consumption. I run with suspension always on LOW. The half-shafts have been replaced twice, the second time has stuck.

I've had plenty of other problems with the X, but tires and wheel alignment have not been among them, at least not for me.

There is no technical reason why you cannot rotate your front tires as well as your rear tires by switching sides. The only time this I not a good idea is when the tires are unidirectional. These tires are not unidirectional so as long as the outside is outside then you are ok. Having said this, don’t expect that the tire wear will necessarily benefit. As an example, if the toe is out, and/or the camber is off, then often you will experience wear on the inside or outside. When you switch the tire the outside is still outside just rotating more in the opposite direction.

I can recall with sports cars that ate up tires in under 7000 miles, one could dismount the tire and flip it so that what was inside us now outside. That will help spread the wear. I have to think that our tires have stamped ‘outside‘ on them so that the tread design facilitates driving rather than unidirectional where the buildup of plies in the tire demand a specific tire rotation.

As another person pointed out, alignment is really important. By the time most people recognize uneven tire wear, it is already too late for that set of tires. inflation is really important as well.

I understand from reading posts about front wheel shutter, that camber suffers as a consequence and inside tire wear results. Replacing half shafts fixes things for a while. I try and get on the ground to look at the front and rear tires to look for undesirable tire wear.