Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model x 2020 range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gaz8000

Jan 31, 2021
Has anyone got a 2020 Model X long range that can tell me what the range should be?
We received our MX in Aug 2020 and now at 100% it has 512km (318miles) I'm pretty sure when we bought it the range worked out to be 530km (329miles) but I can't be sure. 18km loss in such a short time seems a lot to me.
We have 20inch wheels on atm. In summer 22inch.
TIA

The main range reduction should be felt in the first year, so maybe it's all good.
Just keep an eye on it from time to time and unless the reduction increases or keeps a high rate in the next couple of years, i guess you're ok.

Yes but can anyone tell me what the range should be? I'
My long range late 2020 X has about 319 miles after a little over a year. It began with 328 miles. In my experience the first years degradation is the greatest and this is in line with what I expected based on my previous two Tesla’s.

ok, that's pretty identical to mine, so I'm probably worrying over nothing. It's my first Tesla so I have nothing to compare it to.
Thanks for replying

I just got my 2020 Model X performance this week and when it's fully charged it says 300 mi. I am taking off on a cross country road trip tomorrow morning. Can anyone tell me if I should actually expect anywhere near that range on the highway, in chill mode? The Tesla planning site doesn't have me going that far in between superchargers at any point but I am wondering if it will be significantly less?

I just got my 2020 Model X performance this week and when it's fully charged it says 300 mi. I am taking off on a cross country road trip tomorrow morning. Can anyone tell me if I should actually expect anywhere near that range on the highway, in chill mode? The Tesla planning site doesn't have me going that far in between superchargers at any point but I am wondering if it will be significantly less?

Yes, it will be significantly less. You might be able to get 300 miles if you never exceed 50 mph, but where's the fun in that. Does it have the 22 inch wheels with summer tires? You will be lucky to get 200, if that. First thing I would do is set the battery gauge to read % (Energy) as opposed to miles. Then watch the energy graph for accurate range estimates. I hope your alignment is spot on, often they are not from the factory.

Chill mode makes no difference in energy consumption. It simply reduces maximum acceleration. 80 mph across Kansas consumes the same energy, regardless of how fast you got to 80.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Prairie and Rocky_H
Yes, it will be significantly less. You might be able to get 300 miles if you never exceed 50 mph, but where's the fun in that. Does it have the 22 inch wheels with summer tires? You will be lucky to get 200, if that.

I'd say you'll get 300 miles easily if it's relatively warm out, you never exceed 60mph and you don't stop until the battery is empty.

Thank you for the help and info! Currently the Tesla planner has one stretch, in Kansas no less of 205 miles between charges...
Sounds like I need one of those portable generators strapped to the roof...leave it running with the cable plugged in the whole time I drive!

The on board planner tries to minimize the number of stops. Other trip planners like abetterrouteplanner.com, minimizes total travel time with more frequent stops. Given how cold it is this weekend, I would suggest not skipping over any Superchargers. I think along I-70 in Kansas, there is one every hundred miles or so.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
Has anyone got a 2020 Model X long range that can tell me what the range should be?
We received our MX in Aug 2020 and now at 100% it has 512km (318miles) I'm pretty sure when we bought it the range worked out to be 530km (329miles) but I can't be sure. 18km loss in such a short time seems a lot to me.
TIA
Have a 2020 Model X LR on 22s - new in June 2020. Max reported range on instrument panel display at that time was 352 miles... now (Feb 2021) max reported range is 340 or a little less depending on outside temps. Have taken multiple road trips of 330 miles or more (330 to 1200 miles) and can predictably attain a range of 200-212 miles on a single charge averaging speeds of 75mph. That's with outside temps at or around 32ºF to 80ºF +/-10ºF, no major head wind, and a fairly even distribution of uphill to downhill travel.

That range dropped DRAMATICALLY

Have a 2020 Model X LR on 22s - new in June 2020. Max reported range on instrument panel display at that time was 352 miles... now (Feb 2021) max reported range is 340 or a little less depending on outside temps. Have taken multiple road trips of 330 miles or more (330 to 1200 miles) and can predictably attain a range of 200-212 miles on a single charge averaging speeds of 75mph. That's with outside temps at or around 32ºF to 80ºF +/-10ºF, no major head wind, and a fairly even distribution of uphill to downhill travel.

on a recent road-trip out to Colorado by way of Missouri and Kansas during the insanely cold temps of -11ºF at the coldest and averaging 0ºF for most of the drive. During that time we averaged just over 110 miles between charging (note that most charges topped out at around 280 miles before we were prompted to continue the journey- that last 10-15% of charging takes a lot longer and is not worth waiting for, especially if you know your next charger is only 100 or so miles away. The other factors that likely contributed to the frequent charging was the fact that the drive is primarily uphill the entire way along I-70 heading West, and we had a pretty stiff headwind. But by far the ultra cold temps were the biggest contributing factor to the decreased range as a fair bit of energy is consumed keeping the battery warm and the cabin warm.

TIA

Just checked my 2020 X purchased December 2019 22k miles - moved lever showed 334 miles max.

That actually sounds pretty normal to me. You did not say what tires you have on the 22s, so I would assume you have the Pirelli summer performance tires that come with the wheels. They have a terrible impact on range, especially when it is cold. You need to remember the mileage shown in the fuel gauge, is a made up number to indicate how full the tank is. If you want to know the actual range estimated, use the energy graph. Personally, I suggest setting the fuel gauge to display energy (0 - 100%). It makes a whole lot more sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prairie
The on board planner tries to minimize the number of stops. Other trip planners like abetterrouteplanner.com, minimizes total travel time with more frequent stops. Given how cold it is this weekend, I would suggest not skipping over any Superchargers. I think along I-70 in Kansas, there is one every hundred miles or so.
My situation similar w concerns about effect of wind and heat on battery charge depletion and no chargers once you leave the main interstate Out here in the Great Plains. We don’t have a lot of choices. A few campground with very slow and not necessarily friendly to passers through. Want an X long range standard package but not sure I can go where I want to ( state and county roads. Near as I can tell, I can’t go from Valentine NE to Scotsbluff NE via Alliance NE , then to Cheyenne and then Denver. Common route.