Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 2020 vs 2022 suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just picked up my 2022 Model X LR after having my 2020 MXLR lemoned. My wife immediately noticed that the suspension feels completely different in comfort mode.

We loved the really soft and smooth suspension from our old X. But the new 2022 X seems to be significantly bumpier, causing wife to get car sick. I didn’t see any information about a suspension change.

Both my 2020 and 2022 had/have 22” rims.

Anyone have any thoughts on why the difference? Are there certain high quality springs that I can swap to fix this?

I just picked up my 2022 Model X LR after having my 2020 MXLR lemoned. My wife immediately noticed that the suspension feels completely different in comfort mode.

We loved the really soft and smooth suspension from our old X. But the new 2022 X seems to be significantly bumpier, causing wife to get car sick. I didn’t see any information about a suspension change.

Anyone have any thoughts on why the difference? Are there certain high quality springs that I can swap to fix this?
It feels pretty smooth to me and not very bouncy. Its a similar ride to other cars I've owned with an air suspension (mostly Range Rovers). I drove a demo 2020 Model X and the ride doesn't seem appreciably different, although that test drive was back in 2020 so its hard to remember. If you have concerns, you could have the suspension checked out at the service center to make sure there are no issues. Only other suggestion would be to downsize to 20 inch rims as the ride will be much smoother.

Reactions: DelPhonic1

My wife commented that the Plaid X rides smoother than my 2018 MX. At first I thought the suspension settings didn't seem to make much difference, but I've been leaving it on soft and the ride seems ok. I wish I could have it on advanced, with the slider all the way towards soft, and the handling all the way towards hard. But it doesn't seem to affect the ride the way I would expect. Maybe there are more improvements to the software coming?

I went from a 2020 Model X to a 2022 Model X Plaid. The suspension in the 2022 is so much better than the 2020 suspension. The 2020 was way too soft and had far too much rebound, especially at higher speeds. At lower speed the 2020 suspension didn't do a good job at dampening rough roads. The 2022 solves both of these problems for me. The car feels more firm, more responsive, yet way smoother both at low and high speed. Happy to answer any specifics if you have any.

Reactions: JBT66
I went from a 2020 Model X to a 2022 Model X Plaid. The suspension in the 2022 is so much better than the 2020 suspension. The 2020 was way too soft and had far too much rebound, especially at higher speeds. At lower speed the 2020 suspension didn't do a good job at dampening rough roads. The 2022 solves both of these problems for me. The car feels more firm, more responsive, yet way smoother both at low and high speed. Happy to answer any specifics if you have any.
Wow. I would have given the exact same review of my 2018 suspension against the 2020, since I spent tons of time and money trying diff tire makes on my 2018, trying to get more quiet in the cabin like the 2020. Progress!

Reactions: jboy210
I'm talking to the OP, not trying to be condescending here, but since he asked about swapping springs on a car that has air suspension, I'm repeating because this is important if you're asking yourself why one car feels different than another car.

What tire pressures are you using? Where did you keep the tire pressures on your old Raven? Does your new car come with the new summer tires we've seen on Plaids, or all-seasons? Are they Goodyears or something else? You should find out. Tire construction and tire pressure both play a big role in perceived ride quality even more so in a low profile tire on a heavy car. Check alllll the variables to see if they're the same.

I also would not be surprised if they had to use significantly stiffer baseline settings for the refresh cars than the pre-refresh because the refresh cars are much, much higher-performing vehicles. Your Raven long range was almost an entire second slower than your refresh LR, (and that's at ideal SOC, it's much worse at low SOC) to sixty and it's a much bigger difference at higher speeds.

Particularly to control squat under the harder acceleration, the rear may be set to default to an air pressure/overall wheel rate that is quite a bit stiffer, and rear spring has a big influence on perceived ride quality for various reasons I don't need to go into here. Try putting it on auto. The comfort setting might not be controlling the rear end very well, which can lead to head toss/oscillation. "Soft" shock settings can make a car ride "worse" depending on how stiff the springs are, and various other things. OP should give it a shot.

It's also entirely possible his brand new car wasn't put together properly, because *gestures at most of the posts on this forum*

Last edited:
Having made the move from a pre-Raven 2019 Model X P100D (read, no adaptive air suspension) w/ 22” wheels to a 2022 Model X Plaid w/ 22” wheels, the ride quality in my Plaid is noticeably better than the ride quality in my P100D. Tighter, smoother, and way more refined. I couldn’t be happier.
Same from my 2018 X100D out on the twisties this weekend, Plaid was totally composed except for the all season Conties rolling over and buckling at speed into a couple corners. I've ordered some Pirelli's today. But very impressive handling for such a heavy vehicle.

Reactions: BryWay
Don't downsize to 20s if you are looking for better ride comfort, it won't help. I went from stock 22s to stock 20s on my X and the ride quality feels about the same. BUT I still prefer the 20s because the efficiency/range are better, and there is less chance of tire blowouts. You could look for the most comfortable tire for your 22s and simply change the tires, that might help. But in reality there are no Teslas that have great ride quality, even the Raven S. you will need to go with Mercedes or Lexus with adaptive air suspension for that. I'm surprised that you thought the Raven X had soft and smooth suspension. Although Performance and handling of Tesla are stellar, when on bumpy roads I've never driven any Tesla that felt soft/smooth.
What suspension height are you driving in? I drive in standard.

Reactions: DelPhonic1
Don't downsize to 20s if you are looking for better ride comfort, it won't help. I went from stock 22s to stock 20s on my X and the ride quality feels about the same. BUT I still prefer the 20s because the efficiency/range are better, and there is less chance of tire blowouts. You could look for the most comfortable tire for your 22s and simply change the tires, that might help. But in reality there are no Teslas that have great ride quality, even the Raven S. you will need to go with Mercedes or Lexus with adaptive air suspension for that. I'm surprised that you thought the Raven X had soft and smooth suspension. Although Performance and handling of Tesla are stellar, when on bumpy roads I've never driven any Tesla that felt soft/smooth.
What suspension height are you driving in? I drive in standard.
I had a loaner 2018 Model S and the ride quality and quietness of cabin were superb. Sometimes its tires, sometimes that particular car either is just built better in some ways. Quality varies a lot on these cars, unfortunately.

I had a loaner 2018 Model S and the ride quality and quietness of cabin were superb. Sometimes its tires, sometimes that particular car either is just built better in some ways. Quality varies a lot on these cars, unfortunately.
What should the tire pressure be if you want a smoother ride? Currently have 2022 Model X LR and it feels bumpy compared to the older X.
I didn’t think about tire pressure. I want to try this now.

What should the tire pressure be if you want a smoother ride? Currently have 2022 Model X LR and it feels bumpy compared to the older X.
I was also dealing w/ a bumpier ride than expected in my just delivered new X. The thing that fixed this for me was changing the ride height in the suspension settings to "medium", it was defaulting to low causing a bumpy ride. Really well balanced now, even with sport mode. Im not sure though how to have the car save the "medium" setting and why it defaults to the "low" setting.

Interesting observation. I had the exact opposite experience. By 2020 X was very harsh and unrefined compared to my 2022 X. Both are on the 22” wheels. Now I wonder if my 2020 was really really bad compared to other older Xs, or your old X was better than average, or your new X is worse than average haha. Only way to find out is meet and test each car.

Interesting observation. I had the exact opposite experience. By 2020 X was very harsh and unrefined compared to my 2022 X. Both are on the 22” wheels. Now I wonder if my 2020 was really really bad compared to other older Xs, or your old X was better than average, or your new X is worse than average haha. Only way to find out is meet and test each car.
In the 2022, there are many more variables to tune than just ride height, especially in custom.