Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 2022 Windshield Tint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello

Just wondering if anyone has tinted their Model X Refresh front panoramic windshield in 1 single film piece (no joints) in OR or nearby.

Heard from professional installers that it's not easy to have this done because of the film size and also some resulting distortion from the sheer amount of shrinks.

Hoping to hear some experiences from owners who have had it done:

- which brand is it? did anyone have experience with XPEL Prime Plus for the front windshield for Model X?

- whether it truly helps with the heat rejection (if so, what's the stated heat rejection percentage)?

- which tint percentage level is recommended?

Thanks in advance.

PS: I tried to read through other similar posts before posting this but could not find answers to the questions I have above.

Reactions: ShareLofty
We are having ours tinted in XPEL XR (I think the heat rejection is 88% on it and 99 on the plus)the shop said it takes almost a full day just to do the windshield. They also didn't carry Prime Plus in a roll big enough for the X because of the "waste" that is caused by the size and cuts that need to be made. In TX the legal limit is 70% on the windshield. Check with your state laws to see if they have it listed. It does make a big difference, we have had it done on all our models. Hope that helps.

Reactions: BonB
3M Crystalline CR70 is what I used on the front windshield, 5G Tint Shop in Pasadena did the install (they did my Y and other cars before they're great)

3m-automotive-window-film-crystalline-tint-levels-desktop-graphic.jpg

We are having ours tinted in XPEL XR (I think the heat rejection is 88% on it and 99 on the plus)the shop said it takes almost a full day just to do the windshield. They also didn't carry Prime Plus in a roll big enough for the X because of the "waste" that is caused by the size and cuts that need to be made. In TX the legal limit is 70% on the windshield. Check with your state laws to see if they have it listed. It does make a big difference, we have had it done on all our models. Hope that helps.
Thanks very much for your kind and detailed sharing. Did they have to remove the cabin camera to tint the windshield?

I got mine done in Tampa. I didn't expect a perfect job, and it wasn't. Overall I am happy.

They told me they used to remove the mirror and wire guideway, but in the refresh models they don't due to delicate equipment in the mirror housing. There is a small gap. It is not noticeable unless you try to see it.

I got the top tier Prime stuff. 45% windshield, sides should be around 15%. I almost went 55% on the front but I opted for 45% and I am glad I did.

P.S. I highly recommend. I paid around $1200 for the whole car.

Attachments

• IMG_4205.jpg
    IMG_4205.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 408
  • IMG_4207.jpg
    IMG_4207.jpg
    449.8 KB · Views: 398
  • IMG_4209.jpg
    IMG_4209.jpg
    458.4 KB · Views: 408
  • IMG_4210.jpg
    IMG_4210.jpg
    616.2 KB · Views: 404
  • IMG_4211.jpg
    IMG_4211.jpg
    458.5 KB · Views: 395
I got mine done in Tampa. I didn't expect a perfect job, and it wasn't. Overall I am happy.

They told me they used to remove the mirror and wire guideway, but in the refresh models they don't due to delicate equipment in the mirror housing. There is a small gap. It is not noticeable unless you try to see it.

I got the top tier Prime stuff. 45% windshield, sides should be around 15%. I almost went 55% on the front but I opted for 45% and I am glad I did.

P.S. I highly recommend. I paid around $1200 for the whole car.
wow very nice, thank you for your kind sharing.