Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 2nd row now folds FLAT! (July 1st 2017 update)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And of course remember this 'fixes'
(I assume) the HVAC issue with the 5 seater since you now have complete folddown rear surface and the 'back' AC components for this 7 seater version

Who knows what back floor components there are to create a flat floor for *this* version. It took 6 (?) months to get a final one for the five seater that some owners don't even have yet!

Judging by the images there are no new trunk components in the 7-seater. It won't be quite flat either. The trunk/third-row is like in the six-seater or old seven-seater.

As for HVAC, those remain the same at least on Tesla.com. 7 seater has rear HVAC, 5 seater does not. But yes, for some this can be a solution to the HVAC question sure...

cargo-1-2120.jpg

Last edited:
Was probably done as a cost saving measure (and pressure from general consumers over lack of utilitiy).
Still seems like a step backwards for the X (didn't we hear that S/X would always have the best stuff?)

Regardless of manufacture or make, 7 seats always seems like quite the compromise.
Unless you absolutely need that extra passenger seat or that storage length, the 6 seater still seems like the best of both worlds to me (either that or get an S).

I'm hoping they release something about the 6 seater without console that justifies the top end price point. It's not computing right now. That's the option Im about to order but would really like the information clarified on all the options...

I'm hoping they release something about the 6 seater without console that justifies the top end price point. It's not computing right now. That's the option Im about to order but would really like the information clarified on all the options...

I'm in the same boat. With this latest update to the design studio, the MX I have spec'd out (maxed out 100D) is now $3K CAD more expensive with no substantial improvements to that configuration (I guess minor 0-60 time improvements, but still). Bummer to see these minor updates to other configs bump up the price of mine. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Looks like the ontly part we don't know is how the new 'bench seat' in the seven seater moves back and forth. Has to be some easy way to get access to the third row, or there's no point, as the original design was for one handed kid handling, etc. if it's a manual rail setup, that won't work (not that I care, no kids, but many will... :) ). I want the storage of the five and HVAC of the seven as we expected it to work ... What a moving target!

It's always a gamble with Tesla. Most of the time, waiting gets you more for your money. But sometimes the opposite is true. I believe the 100D was cheaper when it first came out (only like 3k or something above the 90D), but after a little while Tesla raised the price. Same thing happened with the AP1 software. When I first got my Model X, the software was 2k, but after a few months, Tesla raised it to 2.5k because Elon said it better reflected its value. A lot of people thought that meant AP1.5 hardware was coming out, but the hardware was the same until AP2 came out (and the price for AP2 was even higher).

I think the reason why the 7 seater price dropped is because the bench seat is cheaper than the monopost seats.

I wonder if now that the 6 seater is the only version with the monoposts if Tesla will make some improvements to the 6 seater? It would be great if they pushed the seats towards the middle about an inch or so. And it would be awesome if they added fold down arm rests to the seats. I kind of doubt they'll do the arm rests since they added the center console, but I think arm rests would still be nice. That way you keep the opening between the seats for easy access to the 3rd row, and your middle row still has a place to rest their arms.

It's always a gamble with Tesla. Most of the time, waiting gets you more for your money. But sometimes the opposite is true. I believe the 100D was cheaper when it first came out (only like 3k or something above the 90D), but after a little while Tesla raised the price. Same thing happened with the AP1 software. When I first got my Model X, the software was 2k, but after a few months, Tesla raised it to 2.5k because Elon said it better reflected its value. A lot of people thought that meant AP1.5 hardware was coming out, but the hardware was the same until AP2 came out (and the price for AP2 was even higher).

I think the reason why the 7 seater price dropped is because the bench seat is cheaper than the monopost seats.

Yeah, especially on the Performance / Premium pack six-seater level the Model X has price has gone up immensely:

1) No ventilated seats in Premium pack (price unchanged)
2) No adaptive spoiler
3) 6-seater price up $1,500 (though you can get console for that if you want it)
4) Performance price up $10,000 (!)
5) No more free Supercharging (without referral or another demand lever campaign by Tesla)

Looking at my own Model X from Q1/2017, it would now lack two features I like a lot (1-2), I'd pay more for the seating I absolutely wanted (and want no console) and there would not be the wheels I wanted (Helix gone). Supercharging matters little to me, but obviously "free" is better than not free. :) And the total price increases internationally - for getting less - are approaching the 10% region.

I wonder if now that the 6 seater is the only version with the monoposts if Tesla will make some improvements to the 6 seater? It would be great if they pushed the seats towards the middle about an inch or so. And it would be awesome if they added fold down arm rests to the seats. I kind of doubt they'll do the arm rests since they added the center console, but I think arm rests would still be nice. That way you keep the opening between the seats for easy access to the 3rd row, and your middle row still has a place to rest their arms.

I'm more concerned they might cancel the 6-seater altogether to "streamline the process" and "lessen customer confusion", now that it remains the sole monopost option. Sort of the lone remnant of the old world...

That said, I guess it is popular enough - and really the only sort of "premium" interior option left in the whole car - so cancelling it seems unlikely. Especially after they just added the center console option.

Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting, but these forms have helped me, and I thought now I can offer some insight. We were supposed to take delivery on our model X today but ended up taking it as a test drive car because we ordered the 7 seat configuration and ended up with the new seats. I am told our car was produced on June 26th and that was the first day the new seats were installed.

The reason why we ordered the 7 seat is that we have almost 4-year-old twins and one on the way, and wanted the ability to seat 3 across. The new seats are mostly manual and do not have the ability to tilt. They do slide forward, but we are not sure how that is going to work with car seats installed. So we did not take delivery, and have the car for the night and will test with car seats tomorrow. If it does not work, they will provide us a full refund and allow us to re-order the same car in a 6 seat configuration.

I will try to take some pictures of the new seats, and depending on how things go tomorrow, let you know how things go with car seats installed.

Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting, but these forms have helped me, and I thought now I can offer some insight. We were supposed to take delivery on our model X today but ended up taking it as a test drive car because we ordered the 7 seat configuration and ended up with the new seats. I am told our car was produced on June 26th and that was the first day the new seats were installed.

The reason why we ordered the 7 seat is that we have almost 4-year-old twins and one on the way, and wanted the ability to seat 3 across. The new seats are mostly manual and do not have the ability to tilt. They do slide forward, but we are not sure how that is going to work with car seats installed. So we did not take delivery, and have the car for the night and will test with car seats tomorrow. If it does not work, they will provide us a full refund and allow us to re-order the same car in a 6 seat configuration.

I will try to take some pictures of the new seats, and depending on how things go tomorrow, let you know how things go with car seats installed.
Wow that would be amazing! Hopefully the pictures are as detailed as your nice post!

Hi everyone,

BluX, thanks for posting. I am curious to hear about the range of recline angles, if any, for rhe second row seats.