Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 2nd row now folds FLAT! (July 1st 2017 update)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the pics and post, those of us in the market for a 5 seater (for cargo space) have been very interested in the new fold-down 7! Sorry, I still need clarification on how the second row moves forward, and what you mean by 'level'. Did you mean, you push the 'fold down' button on the left or right seat back to fold the back forward to the first 'click' and that releases that 'half' (60 or 40 part) base to slide forward so you can access the third row more easily, as you would with the six seater setup?

I got that the base lever is separate, like on the 5-seater, for adjusting the back angle.

Thanks much, this may be one of the first of the new 7 seaters in the wild!

Is the 3rd row leg room roughly the same as with the original 2nd row seats?
Yes, thanks for sharing!!

I'm also curious about space in 3rd row now and if the second row can simply slide forwards and backwards to allow for more/less room in rear row.

thanks, again.

The leg room in the 3rd row is not great. A small adult could sit there, but probably not for long rides. The second row does adjust back and forth so you can decide if you want more legroom in the second row, or if you need to make room for both. I think this car will work while my kids are little, but I am not sure this would work for 3 adolescents.

Thanks for the pics and post, those of us in the market for a 5 seater (for cargo space) have been very interested in the new fold-down 7! Sorry, I still need clarification on how the second row moves forward, and what you mean by 'level'. Did you mean, you push the 'fold down' button on the left or right seat back to fold the back forward to the first 'click' and that releases that 'half' (60 or 40 part) base to slide forward so you can access the third row more easily, as you would with the six seater setup?

I got that the base lever is separate, like on the 5-seater, for adjusting the back angle.

Thanks much, this may be one of the first of the new 7 seaters in the wild!

That sounds about right. Sorry, I am having trouble explaining it. So it is tricky, and I had only done it once when I tried. So what happens is that you push the top button, it makes a click, and then you can push it forward manually.

Well, it was a hard decision, but we decided to keep the car. If we only had 2 kids we would have gone for the 6 seat configuration for sure. For what we need, we think this will work best. For those of you in the car seat market, I thought I would post one last update of what we figured out today. We plan on keeping the car for awhile, so I wanted to look at all the scenarios.

1) If you have an infant seat where you can remove the carrier, the seats will fold enough for third-row access with the base installed.

2) If you have convertibles, you are out of luck. You will not be able to access the 3rd-row seat without removing the convertibles (at least when rear facing, but I do not think they would work forward facing either).

3) The backless booster and the booster with a back we tested both allowed third-row access.

Here is a picture of our convertibles (which will be turned around in 2 months) as well as a booster. All are Cleks.

IMG_1200.JPG

That sounds about right. Sorry, I am having trouble explaining it. So it is tricky, and I had only done it once when I tried. So what happens is that you push the top button, it makes a click, and then you can push it forward manually.
Thanks for the details, much appreciated! If you have the time and opportunity, a video of the process would definitely show everyone how it works. Being the owner of the first one is definitely a burden! :D

Seriously, all details very much appreciated by all, since Tesla only posts CGI!

Reactions: qadaemon
So I hear I am the first one to get one in my region, I am sure someone in California has the very first one!

How do you post a video? Same way you post a picture? We have one, my husband will look at it to see if will answer your questions. If not, we will try to take one tomorrow. We are exhausted after all of that!
Unless someone has a better plan, you can always post the video to YouTube or Facebook and then put the link here.

Reactions: boofagle
The Tesla Store at the Brea Mall has one. The manual seat and seat back movement for each of the two sections takes some effort to figure out, but it works. The carpet backs are flat. The leg room in the third row seemed tight unless there is a better way to move the seat forward slightly. Anyone considering the 7 seat Model X with folding seats should attempt to check it out in person if they need to use the 3rd seating row frequently.

The extra side arm space in the third row for both the 6 and 7 seat Model X is an excellent design change and would be greatly appreciated by the early purchasers of Model X who have a flat side panel to contend with.

IMG_0337.JPG IMG_0338.JPG IMG_0339.JPG

For those who want to sit in the 3rd row with their feet up, it was manageable with the 2nd row flat. IMHO, not recommended due to safety during travel and ease of entry and exit. All 2nd and 3rd row seats down creates a flat surface:
IMG_0334.JPG

Last edited: