Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 300KM?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i hear some people on internet said Model X will run 300KM only?is that true ?

If someone on the internet said it then it's probably true right?

From what we have gathered so far it will probably have an EPA rated range perhaps 10% or so less than the Model S given identical battery. This is mostly because of more drag and perhaps just a little because of weight too.

On the other hand...it may be about the same as the S. If the smaller front motor can drive the car more efficiently at highway speeds so that the rear motor does not need to be used except for acceleration that may help the range.

Discussed but very unlikely since the motor in the S is already about as efficient as it gets. Though JB Straubel has said that their design makes for absolutely no range "penalty" for having two motors instead of one (but also no added range). The car is higher and has larger frontal area and drag is the range killer nr. 1.

i hear some people on internet said Model X will run 300KM only?is that true ?

It would have sounded reasonable if it was 300 miles, which is just under 500 km, using the same battery as Model S.

I would imagine it will come with - say - an 110 kWh option or something, so it would either be 60/85/110 or maybe just 85/110, for the model X.

I could also imagine some kind of bay or cassette, where you could insert an extra battery "range extender". How much does 30 kWh of extra battery weigh? Imagine you open the trunk, lift up the floor, and insert one or more modules, to increase capacity. The extra weight would determine how many modules (so they can be hand lifted, shipped and so on, without a crane!). It could also be there was room for this under the back seat row?

That way, you could rent/buy extra capacity, the day you need it.

It's like a hybrid car range extender, except it's not a small generator burning something, but more batteries.

Pure guesswork here!

Another advantage here is you can buy the normal range car and the day you want to sell it, it's up to the new owner whether or not they need the extra range.

Last edited:
Without the side mirrors it would have 5% less drag so there are some efficiently improvements to be had. It doesn't take much reading on this forum to find users experiences that attest to the real range.

Perhaps BMW is doing what Samsung does, paying people on Internet forums to disparage the competition by questioning its credentials! Never!

I know it sounds lame, but a Luxury SUV will have things like cup holders and window shades for the second row. Will the Model X have those kinds of features?

I'm just thinking about the luxury car consumer and the other luxury SUV's out there.

I know it sounds lame, but a Luxury SUV will have things like cup holders and window shades for the second row. Will the Model X have those kinds of features?

I'm just thinking about the luxury car consumer and the other luxury SUV's out there.
The model S is missing a huge number of things common in other luxury sedans, in fact Tesla makes a point of calling it a "premium" vehicle and NOT a "luxury" vehicle. I expect the X will be the same.

So even though it's more than 100 years ago we switched from horses to combustion, we are not yet ready for electronic mirrors?

Some things just takes a long time. Especially if it's something with state or government, that surely slows things up.

The model S is missing a huge number of things common in other luxury sedans, in fact Tesla makes a point of calling it a "premium" vehicle and NOT a "luxury" vehicle. I expect the X will be the same.

I never noticed the "premium" vs "luxury" label until you mentioned it. And you are right it is missing many bells and whistles that luxury cars have that I didn't notice during my excitement over the vehicle which my wife promptly pointed out very quickly. :-(

I never noticed the "premium" vs "luxury" label until you mentioned it. And you are right it is missing many bells and whistles that luxury cars have that I didn't notice during my excitement over the vehicle which my wife promptly pointed out very quickly. :-(

Happy to learn it is a modest car. This takes care of my guilt feeling of spending too much for a car. It has electric windows, air con and doors for the back seat also. What do luxury cars have that premium cars don't? Microwave heated cup holders? Credit card safe vault? Foot massage basins? Nail polish dryers?

I must see one of these luxury cars one day, as I get so excited about gadgets and innovative stuff.

Happy to learn it is a modest car. This takes care of my guilt feeling of spending too much for a car. It has electric windows, air con and doors for the back seat also. What do luxury cars have that premium cars don't? Microwave heated cup holders? Credit card safe vault? Foot massage basins? Nail polish dryers?

I must see one of these luxury cars one day, as I get so excited about gadgets and innovative stuff.

Hahaha.

It's small things. Cup Holders, rear A/C controls, arm chair rests, rear seat window shades. Rear seat charging ports (wait I think it does have this right?). Adjustable rear head rests, more A/C vents, wider rear seats. That's just the few off the top of my head, didn't look that carefully.

And actually the new Mercedes S class does have heated cup holders, rear heated seats, and massage options for rear passengers (of course they've had those for the front for quite some time). I remember one of the luxury cars had an optional storage area that could be used as an ice bucket to place your beverage!?!

Some of the backseat features are over the top in other cars, but the thing is when people compare it to similarly priced vehicles the interior is missing some of that luxury, whether it be by look, feel, comfort, or options. I think there is a lot more wow factor for the driver and less for the backseat passengers.

I'm not trying to knock down the Tesla, I love the Model S, and I'm very encouraged by the Model X, and this whole experience is revolutionary, but there are some consumers that want an equivalent style of luxury, regardless if the car is fueled by electricity, gas, nuclear power, or a garbage disposer.

Hahaha.

And actually the new Mercedes S class does have heated cup holders, rear heated seats, and massage options for rear passengers

I'm not trying to knock down the Tesla, I love the Model S, and I'm very encouraged by the Model X, and this whole experience is revolutionary, but there are some consumers that want an equivalent style of luxury, regardless if the car is fueled by electricity, gas, nuclear power, or a garbage disposer.

I was only joking about the heated cup holders!

Forget the Tesla Model S, if there is a garbage disposal driven car, I want that instead ...

I was only joking about the heated cup holders!

Forget the Tesla Model S, if there is a garbage disposal driven car, I want that instead ...

Hahah, I was referring to this.

draft_lens2386549module13553893photo_1232480718doc_brown_delorean_fuel_bttf

I think we went just a little off topic.

Interesting to see about the Model X how the discussion goes - for or against cameras in lieu of mirrors. I imagine Tesla Motors actually have to make both versions, for different markets and different preferences.

Hong Kong TD for sure will not allow these modern mirrors until the sun rises twice in a day.

I wonder what that would do to the range of the Model X - just the mirror/camera option, how much of a range difference? In the video posted above, Elon Musk mentions a 5% increased range at highway speeds.

In Hong Kong it won't matter too much anyway, except for customers who plan to drive deep into China, have an extensive daily need for driving, or have very limited access to charging.

Last edited: