Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You mean other than your flooring panels were unfairly delivered in December, you could show off two golf bags neatly resting on a flat surface in your rear trunk, and I had to wait until April?

One peculiar difference I notice is that the three "Top Tether" signs on the rear of your back seats appear to be higher above the top of the finished flooring panel than mine are. I think your upright support panel may be attached in a different way than mine and at a lower level.

My upright support panel can be lifted up from the plastic inserts onto which it is pressed, although lifting it up is not easy. I had the honor of pressing it into place on top of the three plastic supports.

It's been a long wait, and I am happy with the results. The secret storage compartments below the finished flooring panels are a wonderful bonus. Another bonus feature I have particularly come to enjoy and which has influenced my driving style is the feature to which we have all become accustomed: quick deceleration when taking the foot off the acceleration pedal. I have basically been driving the car in a style that makes needing to use the brakes almost unnecessary. I've driven 5.5K miles since December 22, have used my garage charging station a total of 4 times, for about 4 hours each time. The rest of the time I have been supercharging for free, and that includes trips back and forth to Squaw Valley, down to Carmel, and up to San Fran. Superchargers are everywhere around here. Heck, it's all fun. I think we're all driving the best car on the road.
I wish I had thought to request that you ask them about a panel to cover the rear well storage when the upper panels are removed. The current solution of moving the rear panel down to the lower position leaves a big gap between that and the rest of the lower floor. That's the only unfinished part of this design. Since I would almost always be driving with the upper panels removed, It leaves me with the one option to custom build a smaller panel to cover the rear well, which will not doubt be less elegant than what Tesla could have designed.

I wish I had thought to request that you ask them about a panel to cover the rear well storage when the upper panels are removed. The current solution of moving the rear panel down to the lower position leaves a big gap between that and the rest of the lower floor. That's the only unfinished part of this design. Since I would almost always be driving with the upper panels removed, It leaves me with the one option to custom build a smaller panel to cover the rear well, which will not doubt be less elegant than what Tesla could have designed.

I remember someone saying the Model S trunk panel would be suitable for this job? Might be worth a try.

Also, we have seen in a Norwegian car a Model X specific-looking panel for this as well: Evolution of the Model X 5-seater trunk

Model X 5 seat flooring fun: Was it a coincidence that on the day Tesla delivered and installed the updated and resigned flooring panels for my 5 seat Model X Tesla stock was up over 7 points, and close to its all time highs on heavy volume while the rest of the market was way down?

View attachment 222721 View attachment 222722 View attachment 222723 View attachment 222724 View attachment 222725 View attachment 222726 View attachment 222727 View attachment 222729
One other question. So those are tie-downs at the forward corners of the lower floor, just behind the vertical support? Somebody had been very concerned about the lack of tie-downs in the forward section and not all delivered cars had gotten them. There wasn't a photo of this, but do I assume correctly that there are still tie-downs at the rear corners of the lower floor?

One other question. So those are tie-downs at the forward corners of the lower floor, just behind the vertical support? Somebody had been very concerned about the lack of tie-downs in the forward section and not all delivered cars had gotten them. There wasn't a photo of this, but do I assume correctly that there are still tie-downs at the rear corners of the lower floor?

Are they tie-downs hidden under the carpet, it seems?

The original five-seater tie-down design was similar to the six-seater tie-downs, so visible, not hidden by carpet...

I remember someone saying the Model S trunk panel would be suitable for this job? Might be worth a try.

Also, we have seen in a Norwegian car a Model X specific-looking panel for this as well: Evolution of the Model X 5-seater trunk
While I don't have both, I have a Model S and I've seen the rear well in the X up close and personal. I don't believe the Model S panel will work. It, like the rear upper panel of the X, is too wide to fit into that rear well indentation.

While I don't have both, I have a Model S and I've seen the rear well in the X up close and personal. I don't believe the Model S panel will work. It, like the rear upper panel of the X, is too wide to fit into that rear well indentation.

While I am simply repeating what someone on TMC posted, and have not verified myself, I am not completely convinced you are right. (I too have had a Model S and currently have a Model X, but not at the same time so I have not verified.)

The thing is, the Model X rear trunk panel goes from wall to wall, while the Model S panel leaves significant flooring visible on the left and right side of the trunk's well panel. It does not seem impossible the Model S panel might help with Model X.

The specific dimensions and the rounded shape may or may not be a problem, of course. But maybe something to test...

img_4968-jpg.214638

Tesla-Model-S-trunk.jpg

While I am simply repeating what someone on TMC posted, and have not verified myself, I am not completely convinced you are right. (I too have had a Model S and currently have a Model X, but not at the same time so I have not verified.)

The thing is, the Model X rear trunk panel goes from wall to wall, while the Model S panel leaves significant flooring visible on the left and right side of the trunk's well panel. It does not seem impossible the Model S panel might help with Model X.

The specific dimensions and the rounded shape may or may not be a problem, of course. But maybe something to test...

img_4968-jpg.214638

Tesla-Model-S-trunk.jpg
I see your point, I forgot the S panel doesn't go all the way across. I have a friend that has the 5-seat Model X. In fact, it's the most recent with the leather straps. Next time I have a chance, I'll try my Model S cover on his rear well and see how well it fits. I'll take pictures so all can see. I hope that works, since it would be easy enough to order that panel part. Although it might take an eternity to actually get it.

Another bonus feature I have particularly come to enjoy and which has influenced my driving style is the feature to which we have all become accustomed: quick deceleration when taking the foot off the acceleration pedal. I have basically been driving the car in a style that makes needing to use the brakes almost unnecessary.

Same here. At a 4-way stop with no other cars, I don't use the brakes. I think the brakes will outlast the paint.
Do you drive conventional cars too? I have had the sensation that when I take my foot off the accelerator, it must be stuck because the car won't slow down!

• Funny
Reactions: Kincaid and Fiddler
Are they tie-downs hidden under the carpet, it seems?

The original five-seater tie-down design was similar to the six-seater tie-downs, so visible, not hidden by carpet...

I just noticed that while you have expressed a lot of interest in the 5-seat Model X, you actually have a 6-seater. Could you comment on that? I'm curious about your thoughts on one versus the other. I originally planned to order a 5-seat for the additional cargo space and being able to haul the dogs around without worry about exposed leather. Also, it didn't make sense to have an SUV without 2nd row folding seats. But after having the Model S for a while, I find that I've never actually folded the back seat. And when I have to carry the dogs, I just use my Yukon XL that's a lot roomier for them (there's 3 of them, and one weighs 85 pounds).

But I was very conflicted about what color to order from what was available, I wasn't happy with any of them. I ultimately decided I wanted to keep the same color I have now, Titanium, which is no longer available. That, and the cost savings, pulled me to a CPO, which by definition meant getting a 6-seater since the 5-seaters were not available then.

Obviously, this won't be a viable choice for someone without the second vehicle, but without the worry about the dogs and having another car to handle the bulky items, I like the idea of having the flexibility of the 6-seater. I'll almost always have the 3rd row folded, so I'll have a decent amount of storage. And when I need to carry more people (given that some will need to be kids to fit in the 3rd row), I can attach the StowAway carrier on the trailer hitch to get more storage. The Model X does look a lot roomier with that open space between the 2 seats in the second row. And the visibility out the back window will be better with the 3rd row folded.

I think my next Model X will be the 6-seater with the folding second row seats (I'm planning to keep the Titanium Model X for quite a while, obviously). But I really think that Tesla will ultimately build folding 2nd rows for all versions.

Last edited:
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Same here. At a 4-way stop with no other cars, I don't use the brakes. I think the brakes will outlast the paint.
Do you drive conventional cars too? I have had the sensation that when I take my foot off the accelerator, it must be stuck because the car won't slow down!

Haha. I was just doing this on my wife's Prius. There were three observations:

1) the washer stalk is NOT the gear selector. Ask me how I know. Three times. And this is car I used to drive a lot.
2) yes, letting your foot off the gas is like "this thing is out of control! why isn't it slowing down!"
3) man, it's slow. ;-)

Oh, and last night I got out of the Prius without turning it off. I guess I'm fully converted now.

Glad that it seems our long 5-seater-panel nightmare looks to be ending. Even though I have a 6-seater, I've been following this since forever.

• Funny
Reactions: Fiddler and MP3Mike
I just noticed that while you have expressed a lot of interest in the 5-seat Model X, you actually have a 6-seater. Could you comment on that? I'm curious about your thoughts on one versus the other. I originally planned to order a 5-seat for the additional cargo space and being able to haul the dogs around without worry about exposed leather. Also, it didn't make sense to have an SUV without 2nd row folding seats. But after having the Model S for a while, I find that I've never actually folded the back seat. And when I have to carry the dogs, I just use my Yukon XL that's a lot roomier for them (there's 3 of them, and one weighs 85 pounds).

But I was very conflicted about what color to order from what was available, I wasn't happy with any of them. I ultimately decided I wanted to keep the same color I have now, Titanium, which is no longer available. That, and the cost savings, pulled me to a CPO, which by definition meant getting a 6-seater since the 5-seaters were not available then.

Obviously, this won't be a viable choice for someone without the second vehicle, but without the worry about the dogs and having another car to handle the bulky items, I like the idea of having the flexibility of the 6-seater. I'll almost always have the 3rd row folded, so I'll have a decent amount of storage. And when I need to carry more people (given that some will need to be kids to fit in the 3rd row), I can attach the StowAway carrier on the trailer hitch to get more storage. The Model X does look a lot roomier with that open space between the 2 seats in the second row. And the visibility out the back window will be better with the 3rd row folded.

I think my next Model X will be the 6-seater with the folding second row seats (I'm planning to keep the Titanium Model X for quite a while, obviously). But I really think that Tesla will ultimately build folding 2nd rows for all versions.

Hi @Jrogville - thanks for the interesting question. Yes, I have been paying quite a bit of attention to the five-seater, though I am having a hard time answering why. Call it morbid curiosity perhaps... Can't look away from a train-wreck... ;) Just kidding, of course. In the end, even if not optimal, the five-seater has matured into a potential option for many people. It has been interesting following its progress and I appreciate the many members here who have shared their journey in such detail and so openly.

I come from the Model S and had a Signature Model X originally on reservation since 2014 and on order last year, but long story short, the finally delivered car is the P100D 6-seater AP2. So, with this background, the five-seater was not an option for the Signature, and was also not yet physically available when I replaced that order with the AP2 order, though of course it was a selectable option at that stage. So, personally I really didn't make a choice between 5 vs. 6, for me it was always about 6 vs. 7. If anyone cares about the backstory, it is here.

Reading your story, I actually think my needs for the five-seater are larger than yours. I used to fold the seats in the Model S regularly and enjoyed its cargo carrying capacity tremendeously, as I need to haul boxes on a regular basis. The six-seater Model X is lesser of a car in that sense, which of course is no surprise. The classic non-D Model S even had a larger frunk, it was a beast of a car in sporty disguise. Still, in the Model X, folding the back seats does create a fairly large square space, so it is not useless by any means. And long but narrow items are not a problem in the six.

Basically I've decided to deal with the situation with the use of our second car and/or making a few more trips or renting a van a little more often, if need be. So far, I've been very happy. I think the seven-seater would have been too limited for me, but the six-seater is perfectly workable for my cargo-carrying needs.

Any regrets about the six-seater choice? Absolutely none. In the end, that weirdmobile stole my heart long ago and it has never faltered. :) I hate the pointless falcon wings and consider the six-seater a botch-job of embarrasingly humorous proportions (I mean, it looks exactly like a car where the middle seat was stolen, which is pretty much its history), yet - in the end - both were reasons why I bought the car. The second row, with the wings and those useless monopost seats, is certainly different. Different enough to be rather endearing. There is nothing luxurious about the car, but it still manages to look kind of special.

For me, the five-seater, while tremendeously practical, looses quite a few things that help elevate Model X above the Model S. First of all, the extra rear A/C setup is nice. Second, the gap between the second-row seats and the third row kind of make the falcon wings meaningful, as the doors actually somewhat help adult entry in this setup (not so much in the seven-seater). Third, I do like the apperance and design of the second-row seats, when placed individually like on the six-seater. The electric controls also add a small touch of elegance. In the five-seater, the backseat is more functional, less design. The seven-seater is too full of stuff. Six-seater is... art.

I don't need to carry a lot of people, but I also do appreciate the privacy that the six-seater offers in the rear. Separate seats on the second-row and a chance for someone to take the third-row on occasion, those are nice touches.

Reactions: Fiddler
Hi, I'm the one who made the claim about the Model S panel.

And this morning mine was delivered (2 weeks).

It fits, not like something custom made, but it fits very fine.

The boards both fit behind the rear bench, when you want to use the full height available without folding the rear bench.

And, for those of us hoping for a decent luggage cover, the forward board can be used as a template. It fits 100% in front, while there's a lateral gap of half an inch laterally further back, and of course it doesn't reach the hatch.

All in all, I'm not unhappy - if only the AP 2 would start working....

Some photos:

Top view, Model S board/panel installed "backwards":

0hUWiB.jpg

Same thing, but with the panel/board turned the other way round:

r4RuMO.jpg

Both panels/boards stowed behind rear seat backs:

LSXJwk.jpg

View into the luggage compartment with upper boards removed and Model S lower panel in place:

HlhXZ1.jpg

Personally, I'm better off with this ready-made solution than cutting a specific pece of plywood (or something else), finding the "right" carpet etc.

Last edited:
Hi @Jrogville - thanks for the interesting question. Yes, I have been paying quite a bit of attention to the five-seater, though I am having a hard time answering why. Call it morbid curiosity perhaps... Can't look away from a train-wreck... ;) Just kidding, of course. In the end, even if not optimal, the five-seater has matured into a potential option for many people. It has been interesting following its progress and I appreciate the many members here who have shared their journey in such detail and so openly.

I come from the Model S and had a Signature Model X originally on reservation since 2014 and on order last year, but long story short, the finally delivered car is the P100D 6-seater AP2. So, with this background, the five-seater was not an option for the Signature, and was also not yet physically available when I replaced that order with the AP2 order, though of course it was a selectable option at that stage. So, personally I really didn't make a choice between 5 vs. 6, for me it was always about 6 vs. 7. If anyone cares about the backstory, it is here.

Reading your story, I actually think my needs for the five-seater are larger than yours. I used to fold the seats in the Model S regularly and enjoyed its cargo carrying capacity tremendeously, as I need to haul boxes on a regular basis. The six-seater Model X is lesser of a car in that sense, which of course is no surprise. The classic non-D Model S even had a larger frunk, it was a beast of a car in sporty disguise. Still, in the Model X, folding the back seats does create a fairly large square space, so it is not useless by any means. And long but narrow items are not a problem in the six.

Basically I've decided to deal with the situation with the use of our second car and/or making a few more trips or renting a van a little more often, if need be. So far, I've been very happy. I think the seven-seater would have been too limited for me, but the six-seater is perfectly workable for my cargo-carrying needs.

Any regrets about the six-seater choice? Absolutely none. In the end, that weirdmobile stole my heart long ago and it has never faltered. :) I hate the pointless falcon wings and consider the six-seater a botch-job of embarrasingly humorous proportions (I mean, it looks exactly like a car where the middle seat was stolen, which is pretty much its history), yet - in the end - both were reasons why I bought the car. The second row, with the wings and those useless monopost seats, is certainly different. Different enough to be rather endearing. There is nothing luxurious about the car, but it still manages to look kind of special.

For me, the five-seater, while tremendeously practical, looses quite a few things that help elevate Model X above the Model S. First of all, the extra rear A/C setup is nice. Second, the gap between the second-row seats and the third row kind of make the falcon wings meaningful, as the doors actually somewhat help adult entry in this setup (not so much in the seven-seater). Third, I do like the apperance and design of the second-row seats, when placed individually like on the six-seater. The electric controls also add a small touch of elegance. In the five-seater, the backseat is more functional, less design. The seven-seater is too full of stuff. Six-seater is... art.

I don't need to carry a lot of people, but I also do appreciate the privacy that the six-seater offers in the rear. Separate seats on the second-row and a chance for someone to take the third-row on occasion, those are nice touches.

Very interesting. Thanks for your perspective. This seems like a kind of weird thing to say in a thread aimed specifically toward the 5-seater, but you've given me some comfort in my decision to settle for the 6-seater. In a best of all worlds, there would be Model X configuration that would give you the 6-seat layout, but would still allow you to fold all seats and perhaps give you a panel to cover the gap between the 2nd row so that you could still have the full flat cargo option.

The boards both fit behind the rear bench, when you want to use the full height available without folding the rear bench.

And, for those of us hoping for a decent luggage cover, the forward board can be used as a template. It fits 100% in front, while there's a lateral gap of half an inch laterally further back, and of course it doesn't reach the hatch.

Some photos:

0hUWiB.jpg

r4RuMO.jpg

LSXJwk.jpg

View into the luggage compartment with upper boards removed and Model S lower panel in place:

HlhXZ1.jpg

Personally, I'm better off with this ready-made solution than cutting a specific pece of plywood (or something else), finding the "right" carpet etc.
I agree. I think this solution works very well, and it's what I would have also done, if I were still getting the 5-seater.

I also like being able to store the upper panels behind the 2nd row seats. Makes them available at all times should you need to make a quick change. But is the vertical panel stiff enough to hold the floor panels without loosening up? Do the floor panels put much stress on the vertical panel?

Very interesting. Thanks for your perspective. This seems like a kind of weird thing to say in a thread aimed specifically toward the 5-seater, but you've given me some comfort in my decision to settle for the 6-seater. In a best of all worlds, there would be Model X configuration that would give you the 6-seat layout, but would still allow you to fold all seats and perhaps give you a panel to cover the gap between the 2nd row so that you could still have the full flat cargo option.

Indeed.

But it is also helpful for the five-seater audience, I think, that the six-seater too is a compromise that - in actual fact - should not exist at all, as it does: The second-row seats should fold. A proper arm-rest solution should exist for comfort. Second-row seat placement/design more towards the middle and more support with separate seats in mind is needed.

So, in the end, six-seater is exactly what it looks like - a compromise made to fix Tesla's inability to implement folding seats in time, together with the monoposts/in-seat seatbelt. A compromise implemented simply by yanking out the middle seat, without making any design changes to account for this (well, the leather at least wraps around).

One day, the option in this form, probably will not exist. Like the whole car, to quote Elon, it probably should never have been built. But in the meanwhile, for those who enjoy something quirky, it is definitely an emotion-invoking choice. :)

Reactions: krouebi
1) the washer stalk is NOT the gear selector. Ask me how I know. Three times. And this is car I used to drive a lot.
2) yes, letting your foot off the gas is like "this thing is out of control! why isn't it slowing down!"
3) man, it's slow. ;-)

Oh, and last night I got out of the Prius without turning it off. I guess I'm fully converted now.

Same here: In the Tesla, it was misting and I hit the wipers. Lost power because I shifted into Neutral.
In the Honda Pilot, I went into the store. Came out and couldn't find my keys in my pocket. Turns out the car was still running!

• Funny
Reactions: PedanticOne

Some photos:

0hUWiB.jpg

r4RuMO.jpg

LSXJwk.jpg

HlhXZ1.jpg

DO you know how much cost that Model S part?

Same here: In the Tesla, it was misting and I hit the wipers. Lost power because I shifted into Neutral.
In the Honda Pilot, I went into the store. Came out and couldn't find my keys in my pocket. Turns out the car was still running!

My friend had a loaner ICE vehicle and we went to lunch and returned to work. 4 hours later he went to the car... it was still running and the key was in it. And no one stole it.

Reactions: Kincaid
I can beat that. For the first week or so, I would grab the wrong stalk to turn on the turn signal and instead moved the cruise stalk. Not a problem if I was turning left, but if was going to signal right, the cruise would try to reengage! Image the car surging forward as I'm beginning to make a right turn. Had to step on the brakes fast several times. I don't understand the design logic that would let that happen. Cruise should only turn on when you click toward you once or twice. Even now, I will start to grab the wrong stalk, but at least now I check myself before I actually move it. Of course, I will also sometimes flash incoming traffic when I'm trying to turn on cruise or auto steer.

Reactions: Kincaid